Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Hmm, nothing much actually, the D60 is a fine camera, it was the first DSLR camera I actually held and I used it for a couple of shots, my fren lend it to me for a few shots (pity that she left to US and never talked to me again :( ), and despite what people say about no built-in motor thing, I would go with the small party and say, it doesn't really matter if the person doesn't own old Nikkor glasses or planning to own old ones and besides, Nikon is expanding their lens line up with built in motor range and in fact, 3rd party lens supplier is also updating their lens with build in AF motor.

Nikon actually got better flash system then Canon and if Im not mistaken, Nikon also has much more wider choice of external flash gun (damn I wish Canon flash system is as good as Nikon and allows pop up flash as a wireless trigger), other then that, pretty much the same. (Which sometime make me wonder why I choose Canon and not Nikon, cuz in my country, Nikon lens is cheaper then Canon :eek:, but I still prefer Canon body and lens look)

And regarding lenses, both are fine, judging between them is just being nit-picky and you will still get amazing image quality with good glass, the differences is very very subtle, and usually when you pixel peep only the differences will be visible.

Hmm, every camera has its own limitations, just we must know how to make the best out of it ;)

Happy Photographing :D

kallisti

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2003
Like who? All Canon's take amazing images.

I think you misunderstood. I was not saying that Canon's don't have good image quality. I do quibble with your sweeping statement that "Canon definitely wins" in terms of image quality over every other brand. Don't want to put words in your mouth, but I'm not sure that is a truthful statement.

If one brand was objectively "better," then everyone would shoot that brand. The fact that there is so much variability, even among professionals whose livelihood depends on the quality of of their tools, should tell you that you really can't go wrong with any of the major players. Some brands offer more choice, some may have just developed the latest advance that lets them leapfrog over the competition--for a few months.

The proof is in the pudding. Take a look at the "Photo of the day" threads. There are some pretty impressive images there, month after month. Some people shoot Canon. Some shoot Nikon. Some Pentax. Some are made with professional gear, some with entry level gear. The "keepers" have much more to do with the photographer than the brand of gear they happen to use.

bookr

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2009
Go for the Canon 1000D

As a newbie I had the same questions and finally settled for the Canon 1000D. Bought this about two months back and am quite happy with it. Recently I added the 55-250 IS which along with the kit lens quite completes my needs for the moment.

lasuther

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2004
Grand Haven, Michigan
Don't be so quick to dismiss Olympus DLSR.

I have the E620 and it has very attractive features. Do some research into that camera, I am very satisfied.

Also, the E420 and E520 are at very low prices right now if money is an issue.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
I'd stick with Canon or Nikon. If you walk into a camera shop anywhere in the world you'll be able to replace a dead battery or buy some after-market accessory, pretty much guaranteed. Not the case with the smaller players in the market.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Thank you, wheelhot, for your opinion. Are there any limitations at Nikon D60 I should know about?

The Nikon D60 lacks an in-body focus motor. So it can only automatically focus lenses that have their own motor. Do you ever want to use a non-AF-S type lens? If you do then you would want a body with it's own motor. A used D50 would be ideal and they sell for about $300. If you must have a new one then you'd want a D80 or D90.

With Nikon you have to decide on the lens issue first then buy the body

Praetorian®

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
Czech Republic
The Nikon D60 lacks an in-body focus motor. So it can only automatically focus lenses that have their own motor. Do you ever want to use a non-AF-S type lens? If you do then you would want a body with it's own motor. A used D50 would be ideal and they sell for about $300. If you must have a new one then you'd want a D80 or D90.

With Nikon you have to decide on the lens issue first then buy the body

I think I'm ok with the Nikon D60 even if it is compatible only with lenses that have their own motor. I'm not planning to use older lenses without motor and I suppose the new lenses are with the motor (I think I read it in some review of this Nikon).

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
I have a Sony A200 dslr and I like it. At times I have felt like switching to a Canon T1i, but I went to check them out and the Sony just feels better to me. I like its handling a lot more. Also, there is built-in anti-shake with the Sony dslrs. And if someone tries to tell you that Sony's lens selection isn't very good, think again, because they have a ton of high quality lenses. Remember, this is the company that movies and sports are shot on when it comes to video, so even though they came to the dslr game late, they will be up there with professional level quality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.