Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doctorj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2006
Sydney, Australia
I want to erase and re-install OS X Tiger- all the programs (and OS X itself) i use are quitting too frequently.
I attempted to back up to DVD my (users) library but I got a pop up box saying "Error code -43".

My main concern is: what network related items must I back up so that once I re-install i'll have all the network settings to get back on the net straight away?

(I have backed up mail preferences,bookmarks.plist, Address Book, iCal, login.keychain.zip, Stickies Database, Mobile Applications, iTunes and my documents)

I'm tempted to purchase a external hard-drive but it will be one more thing I need how to learn to operate.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Greg.

iBook G4, 1.42Ghz, OS X Tiger 10.4.11, 1.5 GB Ram, 80 GB Hard drive.

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
Stop right there, buddy!

Try this!

Create a new account, or use a guest account. Completely log out of your original account and try a new one out. If the apps don't quit, then just migrate over to a new account :p It's saved me too many times before.

doctorj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2006
Sydney, Australia
Just did this and Safari quit within 5 minutes of using it.
Then I logged out of my account and used another account and had no problems.
So what do I do now then?:confused: Do I delete my current account and add a new one?? I've done this before but if you could advise me or point me in the direction of an article that would be great.

So thanx for that heaps- when I get frustrated like that I don't allways think of the easy solution!
Cheers,
Greg

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
Just copy the preference files for specific applications from your old to your new account. You will also have network preference files and such so you don't have to manually reset certain things :p

I recommend doing them a few at a time, in case there is a preference file that is causing the issue, so you can eliminate it.

Of course, your personal documents can be copied right over as well!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.