Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GreatOldOne

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 6, 2005
Herding Nerfs
Hi,

I'm quite new to shortcuts & automations. I’ve only really started looking at them as I wanted to use my HomePod mini as a clock radio… but the BBC being the BBC they aren’t available on the HomePod. Hence the hoop jumping with workarounds on my phone.

Here’s what I’ve set up:

17F52CEC-90DA-4F8E-BFFE-36A02CAD94F3.png
B7A2C6BC-F33A-4208-A3F6-81FECCC50D67.png
E42A8F4E-72A5-4776-AA22-59073CDA8F0F.png
7055E710-146D-4EED-9622-671A5410FADF.jpeg

This works if run manually. And the stand-alone shortcut I have with the exact same steps works, when i ask Siri to play radio 2. But the scheduling on the automation seems iffy. Sometimes it works, but mostly it doesn’t. Yet every day when I first pick up my phone in the morning the lock screen tells me it was running the automation at the set time.

Does anyone have any pointers on how to get these automations to work reliably?

Cheers,

Jason.

reppans

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2006
Does it work reliably with the screen unlock/on, and unreliably with screen lock/off?

GreatOldOne

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 6, 2005
Herding Nerfs
No… my phone is placed on a charging mat each night, so it’s locked & charging when the automation is due to fire. It worked this morning, but didn’t the previous 2 mornings. And the shortcut that does the same thing - airplay the sounds app to the bedroom HomePod - works regardless of lock / unlock.

I wonder if the charging puck is interfering with the Wi-Fi signal. I also have DND set which turms off at 07:00... but of that where causing the issue, why did it work today? ?

reppans

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2006
Try adding the scripting ‘wait 4 seconds’ as the first DO… the rest of your DO steps following this. IME, Wifi <> home kit device sometimes drops while phone is off/locked. The automation trigger wakes the screen, the wait gives it a few secs to re-acquire wifi, and then the DO actions can execute.

Reactions: GreatOldOne

reppans

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2006
Please post results either way, be interested to know if this solves it for you… it solved my smart plug automation issue.

Reactions: GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 6, 2005
Herding Nerfs
Ok, so f0r the second morning on the trot it’s worked - that’s a 100% improvement so far, so I’m quietly confident that this has solved the issue - but I’ll keep an eye on it and give longer term feed back later. Thanks @reppans for your help. ?

Reactions: reppans

Moakesy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2013
UK
Ok, so f0r the second morning on the trot it’s worked - that’s a 100% improvement so far, so I’m quietly confident that this has solved the issue - but I’ll keep an eye on it and give longer term feed back later. Thanks @reppans for your help. ?

Hi

Did this fix this issue long term?

Just stumbled across this thread whilst trying to resolve another issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.