Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fomalhaut

macrumors 68000
Oct 6, 2020
It definitely can't otherwise Apple would have offered 32GB configurations at least for MacBook Pro / iMac. Same with 2TB limit.
The current M1 SoC package probably can't support more than 16GB RAM without moving to higher-capacity RAM modules, because of the the limited space of the package.

However, the M1 architecture almost certainly can support large amounts of RAM - depending on the memory controllers, address bus width and the physical size available on the package.

There is nothing inherently preventing the construction of a physically larger M1 variant that has space for more RAM and can include more CPU and GPU cores. Same M1 microarchitecture generation, just bigger.

Fomalhaut

macrumors 68000
Oct 6, 2020
I’m confident it can’t. There is zero reason why more ram wouldn’t have been added as an option if it could handle it.
You need to separate the current M1 package and the M1 architecture.

The former is too small to fit enough RAM modules to exceed 16GB (unless they move to a higher density module), and the latter almost certainly can address much larger memory spaces.

1am0

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2016
...also, according to schematics there'll be: lid angle sensor, magsafe connector, sd-card reader, hdmi and completely different types of LCD-screen.

Fomalhaut

macrumors 68000
Oct 6, 2020
I guess the memory controller could be the limiting factor. Otherwise Apple could have used the M1 in a bigger package with four memory modules in the new iMac, matching the memory options in the replaced Intel models.
My guess is that Apple wanted to meet a price point with significantly better performance at that price than the Intel offerings. Basing it on the existing A14 designs reduced risk, and met the requirements for entry-level machines.

Had they waited and then released a > $2000 machine with more memory, they may have gained a good number of power-users, but lost all the millions of people who are looking for a $1000-1300 laptop.

Fomalhaut

macrumors 68000
Oct 6, 2020
Could Apple have used four modules on the M1 instead of two?
No, the SoC package is not large enough. The 2 RAM modules are on the right hand side of the package.

1620262820426.png

quarkysg

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2019
No, the SoC package is not large enough. The 2 RAM modules are on the right hand side of the package.

View attachment 1770485
Actually Apple could have placed another 2 RAM modules to the left of the SoC. The RAM modules could also be placed horizontally instead of vertically. In this instance we could have 8 x 8GB RAM modules, for a total of 64GB. The data line traces would probably be quite symmetric and hence result in consistent data signal quality. The challenge then is how to route those 128 (256 even if the M1 supports 256-bit data lane) data line traces between all those RAM modules to ensure that data signals are not degraded due to trace lengths and signal noise. It could be done, but will likely increase engineering time and that would then impact cost.

If this is done tho, the battery life of the M1 MacBooks would be lower and more heat would be generated, resulting in more heat removal, and so on and so forth. So at the end of the day, my view is that it is a engineering trade-off instead of a technical limitation of the M1, considering the target market the released M1 Macs are meant to address.

Fomalhaut

macrumors 68000
Oct 6, 2020
Actually Apple could have placed another 2 RAM modules to the left of the SoC. The RAM modules could also be placed horizontally instead of vertically. In this instance we could have 8 x 8GB RAM modules, for a total of 64GB. The data line traces would probably be quite symmetric and hence result in consistent data signal quality. The challenge then is how to route those 128 (256 even if the M1 supports 256-bit data lane) data line traces between all those RAM modules to ensure that data signals are not degraded due to trace lengths and signal noise. It could be done, but will likely increase engineering time and that would then impact cost.

If this is done tho, the battery life of the M1 MacBooks would be lower and more heat would be generated, resulting in more heat removal, and so on and so forth. So at the end of the day, my view is that it is a engineering trade-off instead of a technical limitation of the M1, considering the target market the released M1 Macs are meant to address.
I'm not sure if that's true (in bold). It's not obvious where the actual "package boundary" lies, but from this image, it would indicate that the it's probably just the central part of the previous picture (i.e. the silver-colored section and the RAM modules. Here is a view without the "silver lid" (CT scan images):

1620274479988.png

1620274769079.png

I think this image represents the package in relationship to the RAM module size.

1620274844324.png

The square section in the center is the actual silicon die, with the RAM on the right. There wouldn't be room to add more RAM to the left in this case.

...and this photo is even clearer:

1620275061127.png

We can expect the next versions to be larger and have more space for RAM, or even stack it vertically as you suggest. The M1 is still quite a moderately size die compared to other CPUs, and even more so compared to GPUs some of which have 5-6 times the area.

Last edited:

quarkysg

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2019
I'm not sure if that's true (in bold). It's not obvious where the actual "package boundary" lies, but from this image, it would indicate that the it's probably just the central part of the previous picture (i.e. the silver-colored section and the RAM modules. Here is a view without the "silver lid" (CT scan images):

View attachment 1770538

View attachment 1770541

I think this image represents the package in relationship to the RAM module size.

View attachment 1770543

The square section in the center is the actual silicon die, with the RAM on the right. There wouldn't be room to add more RAM to the left in this case.

...and this photo is even clearer:

View attachment 1770547

We can expect the next versions to be larger and have more space for RAM, or even stack it vertically as you suggest. The M1 is still quite a moderately size die compared to other CPUs, and even more so compared to GPUs some of which have 5-6 times the area.
Apple can just make the board the SoC is sitting on larger. No biggie. As I said earlier, the main issue will be the data lines routing as these are high speed lines carrying data signal. The boards can have multiple layers, but noise will likely be a major issue.

Heck, Apple could also place RAM modules at the top and bottom as well. RAM modules could also be placed at the back of the board as well and go crazy with the memory capabity, but that will be a nightmare to route, I would imagine. :p

Sydde

macrumors 68030
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
From those images, it looks like the RAM is actually quasi-modular, not burned into the SoC as has been suggested. Which makes sense: no need to produce two different SoCs for 8 or 16Gb. And that means going to 24 or 32 or larger does not require a chip redesign.

Reactions: Fomalhaut

Fomalhaut

macrumors 68000
Oct 6, 2020
From those images, it looks like the RAM is actually quasi-modular, not burned into the SoC as has been suggested. Which makes sense: no need to produce two different SoCs for 8 or 16Gb. And that means going to 24 or 32 or larger does not require a chip redesign.
That's right. The RAM are surface-mounted modules (possibly made by Hynix) that integrate with the memory controllers on the processor die (which is separate). The limit on M1 RAM is a combination of the physical size of the package (sized to contain the 8+8 core die), and a marketing decision by Apple.

I would expect an MBP16 package to be at least 150% larger to accomodate 2 or 3 times the number of performance cores, maybe double the GPU cores, and at least 32GB RAM.

Reactions: Lights87

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2012
It will be announced in Q3 2021. Probably will be available in limited amount in Q4 2021.

BlueTide

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2007
Silicon Valley, CA
I have a base 8GB UM M1 Mini and it does NOT need any more UM ("RAM").
My 8GB Unified Memory runs circles around any Intel Mini with double or triple or quadruple the "RAM" and does it with coldness (no fan spin ups).
Screenshot 2021-05-05 at 4.17.16.png

Good for you. This has started to come up with my M1 16GB Air. Not the end of the world, of course, but it does not take that much to run out, given how many apps are written these days.

Fomalhaut

macrumors 68000
Oct 6, 2020
View attachment 1771052

Good for you. This has started to come up with my M1 16GB Air. Not the end of the world, of course, but it does not take that much to run out, given how many apps are written these days.
Interesting. I've never seen this error on my M1 Mini, but have probably seen it a couple of times in the last 15 years of using Macs.

How much swap memory were you using when this happened, and is your SSD nearly full? (which might explain why it couldn't write to swap)

If you have ordered the apps by memory usage, you don't appear to be running any heavyweight apps, so it's surprising that you would have a memory error. Perhaps you have an app with a memory leak?

Here are my top apps by usage:

1620358940601.png

It's using over 8GB swap but doesn't seem to be under memory pressure that would cause an error.

1620358968680.png

jumpcutking

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Nov 6, 2020
You are all awesome and thank you for a waft of technical information... I may or may not feel like this post was written by a bunch of Dr/s or sudo super Senior Engineers... but hey!

BlueTide

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2007
Silicon Valley, CA
How much swap memory were you using when this happened, and is your SSD nearly full? (which might explain why it couldn't write to swap)

I don't recall about swap, nor I really care. SSD has hundreds of GB free. I am pretty sure I know the reason too. Before getting to that, the dialog itself is from Apple and not in order of memory use.

I am guessing the culprit is that many of the "small" apps are built on various (often web) frameworks that consume memory like no tomorrow. Once you keep these open all at once, it adds up.

Perhaps the reason I hit this more now is that for various reasons I am using more of these smaller utilities in personal life (some peeps need to be contacted via Line, some via Whatsapp, you get the picture). And various teams I work with require their own apps and tools.

Anyway, point being, 16GB RAM is not panacea. It does run out, and in some cases that happens with relatively light use too.

jumpcutking

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Nov 6, 2020
I just saw the wonderful iMacs and I feel like bumping this thread. Rumors are circulating that we may see a professional workstation soon… and I really really really… need one.

I want to hit the mind blown emoji on some after effect renders. Please.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Latest rumors say the MBP 14 and 16 will be offered with up to 64GB.

For the LPDDR4X SDRAM the M1 uses, 4GB and 8GB are the most common capacities, but as noted there are 12GB modules and I believe higher densities are in development or in limited production. So the MBPs will either be using more than two 8GB modules or they could be using these higher-density modules.

Beancamel

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2018
Northeast, CT
i need a new laptop yesterday! i really hope they come out this year! Trying to hold off on the current M1 but its getting more and more down to the wire,,,,,

Jorbanead

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2018
I just saw the wonderful iMacs and I feel like bumping this thread. Rumors are circulating that we may see a professional workstation soon… and I really really really… need one.

I want to hit the mind blown emoji on some after effect renders. Please.
WWDC would be the most likely. If we don’t see something then, I would be surprised. The only thing holding them back right now AFAIK is display shortages.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.