Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jillownsamac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2020
I connect to the internet with a ethernet dongle, instead of wifi. It's been really spotty for a while. I had the thunderbolt ports & logic board replaced recently because of corrosion, but now I think the problem might have been more software than hardware, because it persists. I think it might have been when I updated to Ventura.

The workarounds seem to work for a while, but not solve the problem. I can't seem to use the internet for several hours without having a problem. I've heard some people are experiencing this problem. I'm kind of wondering what we/our macs might have in common - like age of the mac.

I have a macbook pro from 2019, (so not Apple Silicone/ M#). I think it coming toward the end of the line for updating this machine (which seems too soon).

I'm wondering if upgrading to OS Sonoma will help the connection issue or make the situation. (I'm afraid it might make the situation worse. It seems like I in the past, I've regretted upgrading a mac's OS when it was on the older side of the ones listed that would run the OS.)

(I feel like going back to Monetary might technically work to solve this problem, but that feels hard to do and might create different problems, so I would prefer not to try that.)

I'm also wondering if upgrading to a Apple Silicone/ M# would solve the problem, or (gasps and shutter) if macs are just no longer reliable for connecting to the internet with ethernet - that seems like bad theory, but if that were the case, I think I would likely transition to something other than a mac (again gasp and shutter).

On the other hand, I would be willing to upgrade now/soon to an Apple Silicone mac, if I knew for certain that that would solve my connection issues. (I would prefer a reliable workaround to my problem and then to wait at least for the M3 macbook airs).

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Is it the wired connection or the wireless connection which is “really spotty”?

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Contemplating replacing your computer seems melodramatic. Have you even tried other Ethernet adapters?

jillownsamac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2020
The problem was especially bad yesterday. I was supposed to have a video call yesterday afternoon, it quit on me in the middle of that, which is pretty unacceptable (and not the first time that has happened, which make me look bad), but today things seem to be working better. I rebooted after that, which is something that I also did multiple times yesterday. This has been going on for a while. Again, I replaced all my thunderbolt ports and the logic board which were both corroded, already in hopes that that would solve the problem. After I did that some of my ethernet adaptors would not work on this mac, but then others worked and worked much better than before the repair. It's been just a couple of months and it's back to working better on some thunderbolt ports than others. Again, connection problems have been going on for a while and I need something that is reliable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.