Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Skyscraperfan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2021
Many of us CHOOSE Apple because of their ecosystem. It’s called a free market. If people don’t want it they are FREE to choose something else.
It is not really a free market, if you can just choose between iOS and Android. And Google even pays billions to Apple.

What is "free" about not being able to do what you want with your own very expensive phone? Imagine you buy a car, but the car company also owns gas stations and only allows you to use their own gas stations. Would that be your idea or free market?

iBluetooth

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2016
can’t wait to see everyone mentally contort themselves to defend billion dollar tech companies and think that’s normal in the comments 🍿
I think it's more of politicians acting like gods and putting narrow fitting rules on specific companies. It doesn't matter how much a company makes. Why don't they start by regulating one, single type of an electric plug in Europe!

Last edited:

jgbr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
I think the bigger picture is more concerning.

Let the consumer choose, if you want to live in Apple's ecosystem that is up to then, if you want to go elsewhere thats up to you. It's called freedom. The EU is entirely against the concept and more and more laws are destroying innovation, liberty and ultimately making people more stupid. It's the heavy down, heavy handed approach that more laws mean's better, it doesn't. What we want it less laws but higher quality laws, and people free to pick where they put their hard earned (and often very little left of) money.

Last edited:

wanha

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2020
I think people are defending the user experience more so than defending billion dollar tech companies. Do you want your iPhone experience to be like Android? What a disaster that would be. Most people use Apple products because of the whole ecosystem and the (mostly) seamless user experience.

Some people are incapable of seeing anything but black and white even though they live in a world filled with shades of gray.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
What does it mean to open your “hardware ecosystem”?

Apple already provides AirPlay, Airdrop, NFC access via Apple Wallet, standard USB-C, access to biometric services and sensors, etc…

Unfortunate how the EU cannot compete in tech
You very conveniently missed out something, Apple may already provide what you've written that provision has a caveat, Apple severely restricts who has access to it's hardware. I believe there was an MR article that reported on Apple pay and it's NFC devices and a number of companies wanting to build Apple NFC devices but they couldn't because Apple would not release it's NFC technology to them.

indychris

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Fort Wayne, IN
lol Europe really wants to kill the whole business model of Apple. Does anyone remember the browser selection screen of Microsoft Windows?

The EU is 100% committed to killing any remnant of capitalism which is THE thing that fuels creativity and innovation. Some regulation is always necessary simply because people are dishonest, but to think that government manhandling is the answer assumes that government bureaucracy is somehow more reliable, honest and efficient. The USA has an entire capital city that proves it ain't even remotely true.

Fabian90

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2013
Bonn, Germany
Many people here only think in (space) black and white.

Regulations can be very useful and help with progress. In the EU I can use the internet provider I like because the cable owners must let others companies use the cables for rent.

While I agree that apple should profit from its inventions, that doesn’t mean that it should be able to abuse a monopoly.

I should be able to use other services without being hindered by Apple.
Why can’t I use GeForce Now properly on my iPad for example?

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
So let me see if I have this right... the EU basically wants Apple to make it so that anyone can install any OS on any device that Apple makes? And, that Apple should sell every single hardware part to every single device they make to anyone anytime? Do I have this right?
No because your taking out of context what is being said and over embellishing it.

aParkerMusic

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2021
Many of us CHOOSE Apple because of their ecosystem. It’s called a free market. If people don’t want it they are FREE to choose something else.
THIS

Thank you. Apple is one of the choices in the free market. Apple has competitors. Holy moly, it’s amazing people try to pretend that this isn’t the case. The Apple ecosystem is the solution people choose compared to others. The closed nature is BUILT INTO THE CHOICE.

Apples Apples Everywhere

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2017
I like that the government protects me from powerful entities. However in this case, as a customer, I don't want what the EU is pushing for. I specifically don't want side loaded apps. I specifically don't want third party hardware replacement parts. What I want is for whatever company I select be it Google, Samsung, or Apple, to protect me and to simplify my experience as much as possible.

bcortens

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
Ontario Canada
I like this except "Safari". If users can install Chrome on iPhones, then there will be no other browsers used and Chrome will get total monopoly!
(Note: Current Chrome App is running on top of Safari, i.e. using the the WebKit development engine from Safari. Originally Chrome was built on top of this same engine, but that changed a few years ago)
This is something I think that EU regulators don't get - right now there is virtually no competition in browsers because Chrome has a near monopoly - you're completely right that the only thing that prevents a complete chrome monopoly is Safari on iOS...

PlayUltimate

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2016
Boulder, CO
It is not really a free market, if you can just choose between iOS and Android. And Google even pays billions to Apple.

What is "free" about not being able to do what you want with your own very expensive phone? Imagine you buy a car, but the car company also owns gas stations and only allows you to use their own gas stations. Would that be your idea or free market?

Inaccurate analogy, except, that that somewhat, and legally, exists in the electric car space.
However, regarding your phone. You do own the phone; you don't own the software on the phone (including iOS). The software, per its T&Cs, is licensed to you.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
Next up: European McDonalds required to serve Burger King sandwiches alongside their fast-food-best French fries.

Isn’t that what we are saying here? Apple has some cool features in iPhone but to get them you gotta go with the Apple ecosystem. I can’t go to McDonalds and combo a Double-Double with McDonalds Fries and a Blizzard. If I want McDonald’s fries I have to put up with substandard burgers and desserts. If I want a Double-Double then I gotta put up with In-n-Out’s Fries. And if I want a Blizzard I have to put up with the awful food options at Dairy Queen.

Users already have a choice to use an “open” mobile operating system. The trade off is the less control Apple or Google have over your mobile phone and the more open it is, the more you have to deal with second-rate apps and services and integrations. Apple and Google just make the best stuff for mobile. Sorry Nokia did not make it Europe.

bcortens

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
Ontario Canada
I think people are defending the user experience more so than defending billion dollar tech companies. Do you want your iPhone experience to be like Android? What a disaster that would be. Most people use Apple products because of the whole ecosystem and the (mostly) seamless user experience.
Allowing side-loading is definitely going to lead to a worse user experience with greater privacy violations and scummy apps released - I can think of several ways that the App Store could have been forced open without side loading but the current framework of "trust me bro" that the EU seems to be going for is a terrible choice.

bcortens

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
Ontario Canada
Many people here only think in (space) black and white.

Regulations can be very useful and help with progress. In the EU I can use the internet provider I like because the cable owners must let others companies use the cables for rent.

While I agree that apple should profit from its inventions, that doesn’t mean that it should be able to abuse a monopoly.

I should be able to use other services without being hindered by Apple.
Why can’t I use GeForce Now properly on my iPad for example?
I think Apple should have been forced to loosen the rules of the App Store, only allowed to enforce privacy and security rather than being forced to allow side-loading. In a perfect world scummy monetization would also be restricted but Apple has no interest in preventing gambling psychology inspired gaming apps from appearing on the App Store and appears happy to encourage developers (game devs especially) to exploit their users in the name of profit.

However I do think there should be central repository of control and distribution for two reasons:
1. When an app or developer behaves badly there is somewhere that complaints can be lodged and the app investigated
2. A central place for search, discovery, and updates

Allowing side loading without a well staffed EU level organization that can investigate and stop scummy apps is just a recipe for disaster.

Edit: If the EU had an organization that could investigate scummy apps and receive complaints would make side loading viable and lessen the need for a central organization.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.