Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Konvictz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2014
Hey guys,

I know a lot of people come from android to iPhone and never look back. I have always used iPhone from my first phone, and would not consider switching. I feel iPhone is more reliable and just works. The animations on android seem a bit choppy at times, and the overall experience is just a bit sub par, for me.

But I would be very interested to see if people have switched from iPhone to Android, if so what model and why?

Reactions: LFC2020

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Hey guys,

I know a lot of people come from android to iPhone and never look back. I have always used iPhone from my first phone, and would not consider switching. I feel iPhone is more reliable and just works. The animations on android seem a bit choppy at times, and the overall experience is just a bit sub par, for me.

But I would be very interested to see if people have switched from iPhone to Android, if so what model and why?
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/i-switched-to-android-and-i-have-no-regrets.2135865/

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ed-to-android-what-are-your-thoughts.2108511/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/why-did-you-choose-android.2111012/

Reactions: timeconsumer

Ryand123

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2013
Well I might let you know after tomorrow as it's very possible I'm exchanging my Max with iffy reception for a Note 9. I think I'd rather stay at the same screen size than stay with an iPhone. I did have a Samsung a few years ago. It was nice......but it just felt weird after I had gotten so used to an iPhone.

But the fact is Android phones are well ahead of iPhones these days in most areas. Even the cellular antenna thing. With the Xs Apple is the last major cell phone maker to go with 4x4 MMO (whatever that means). Why is it acceptable that the company that charges the most consistently offers hardware that's already a generation old?

Reactions: Wide opeN

QueenTyrone

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2016
Well I might let you know after tomorrow as it's very possible I'm exchanging my Max with iffy reception for a Note 9. I think I'd rather stay at the same screen size than stay with an iPhone. I did have a Samsung a few years ago. It was nice......but it just felt weird after I had gotten so used to an iPhone.

But the fact is Android phones are well ahead of iPhones these days in most areas. Even the cellular antenna thing. With the Xs Apple is the last major cell phone maker to go with 4x4 MMO (whatever that means). Why is it acceptable that the company that charges the most consistently offers hardware that's already a generation old?

Watch out for unresponsive screens and the fragile spen

Reactions: 1144557 and sdwaltz

sdwaltz

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2015
Indiana
I switched and switched back within 6 months. Android was garbage.

Bought a Note 3, moved to iPhone 6 Plus the day it came out. Haven't looked back and likely never will. Apple would need to commit some serious hardware and software atrocities before I ever consider moving to another platform again.

NikkoTuason

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2018
I actually did the opposite. I was using Android since the first Samsung Galaxy Note all the way through Note 8 and was about to upgrade to the Note 9 until I had a change of heart and tried the iPhone XS Max. I don’t miss Android and all the customizations at all, I’ve been using my Max for about 10 days now, There’s just something about iPhones.

yoomy

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2008
I switched to Android after 2 years of the 6s Plus. I was bored by iOS and wanted to try an Android device for the longest time. The iPhone X had me interested again because it looked great but the price turned me off. I have been using the Huawei P20 Pro for awhile now and I absolutely love it. I also have the XS Max now and I am on the fence whether to keep it or not.

Is the iPhone XS Max better than the P20 Pro? Yes but it's not as clear as I hoped. Android wins over iOS in many situations but iOS has much better gesture controls, even better than Android Pie. This is a very important feature because we interact with our devices so often every day and it just feels right on the iPhone. But there are things in iOS I simply cannot understand. Why am I not able to place app icons at the bottom, why do they have to be anchored to the top left. It's like Apple develops iOS with small devices in mind and forgets about the plus sizes. And no reachability is not a good solution as it requires an additional step.

So would I keep the iPhone XS Max 256gb (1630$) over the Huawei P20 Pro (746$) if I just compared those two phones with each other?

NEVER .... but

The Apple ecosystem has one killer feature that I missed ever since I left it with the 6s Plus. The Apple Watch ...

I have tried all Android Wear and Samsung wearables and they all suck compared to the Apple Watch. I really think the watch is Apple's best product at the moment. Sadly my delivery for it is delayed and will arrive after my 14 day return chance for the iPhone. So the decision comes down to this:

Is it worth to pay around 1600$ for a phone that is slightly better than my current phone only to be able to use the Apple Watch ....

Reactions: ackmondual

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
I switched and switched back within 6 months. Android was garbage.

Bought a Note 3, moved to iPhone 6 Plus the day it came out. Haven't looked back and likely never will. Apple would need to commit some serious hardware and software atrocities before I ever consider moving to another platform again.
Note 3? I’m all in on iOS now, but this is crazy. That’s like someone saying they had an iPhone 5c and didn’t like it, so they won’t consider another one. Times have changed big time.
[doublepost=1538644323][/doublepost]
With the Xs Apple is the last major cell phone maker to go with 4x4 MMO (whatever that means).
Unsure what it is, yet you’re up in arms iOS just got it? Lol

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
My story.

Started off with the iPhone 3G and after that got the iPhone 4. Was completely happy with the iPhone and had no plans to try android. However my iPhone 4 was stolen in 2012. I had 4 months until I could upgrade so I decided to buy a cheap android phone until I could upgrade. I got the Samsung galaxy Y. It was a lot better than I thought it would be and I was amazed at how much android could do. I used it for 2 months and then I paid off my contract and instead of getting the 4S I wanted to try a high end android phone so I got the original galaxy note. The phone was buggy and unstable but despite that I really enjoyed the big screen, S pen and features of android that I didn’t have on iOS. I stayed on android until 2014, having various Samsung flagship phones. After the original galaxy note I had no problems with any of the Samsung phones I had. They all worked well.

Once Apple announced the 6 plus with a 1080p display and adequate storage (128GB) alongside the Apple Watch I decided to come back to iOS in 2014. I’ve been on iOS since then and am now heavily entrenched within the Apple ecosystem (iPhone, Apple Watch, 2 x iPad, MacBook, 2 x Apple TV, 2 x HomePod, AirPods). So for that reason I have no intention of leaving the iPhone as my daily driver. I’ve tried a few Samsung phones over the years just to try them out as secondary phones but they all went back. There’s nothing wrong with them, they are great phones and I have no issues with android. It’s just that I prefer iOS and the ecosystem and an android phone doesn’t fit in with my other devices.

DantesFire

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2017
I used to use an SE and before that 5s, I still love that form factor, but I switched to android because I wanted a bigger screen, my eyesight isn't what it used to be. Apple phones are ridiculously priced compared to androids of the same dimensions, and I'd rather spend money on other things. That being said I still use the SE for its camera and a few apps, they're more stable than the android versions. If I could afford it I'd jump on an iphone xs max, if only for the awesome camera.

grumpywino

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2016
My first smartphone was the iPhone 4, loved it for about a month then found it so nobbled I went the jailbreak route. As soon as I could I moved over to Android and enjoyed years of customs roms etc. Currently have the Note 9 and for me it's the perfect phone, it has every feature I want. An iPhone just wouldn't work for me, as impressive as they are.

I remember when Apple was a computer company, and have always had iMacs, these days it's a phone company that makes computers. I have no need for the 'ecosystem' so the Note 9, a beast of a phone, with the Gear S3 watch and an iMac works for me.

Reactions: Breaking Good

ramram55

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
Used to own iphone 4s for 2 years beginning 2014 end
2016 June switched to iphone 6, later 6S for few months, then switch to Moto 5g plus last June. Got moto z2 Force till April this year. Switched to Samsung s8 first then to S8 plus. Now have an Onedrive 5 in hand thinking of switching to it later.
Android experience is better on cell phones, in my opinion.

Applemaniac7

Suspended
Mar 2, 2018
So Cal.
Hey guys,

The second you wrote "Just works" , was the second you just became a naff quote from an era that doesn't exist anymore...

mkz168

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2014
The second you wrote "Just works" , was the second you just became a naff quote from an era that doesn't exist anymore...

And this is coming from a android die hard fan that’s still hangs around apple forum and acting like he/she still have a iPhone.

What’s wrong with just worked? Most of the stuff that apple had just works... it just works! And it still is!

Applemaniac7

Suspended
Mar 2, 2018
So Cal.
And this is coming from a android die hard fan that’s still hangs around apple forum and acting like he/she still have a iPhone.

What’s wrong with just worked? Most of the stuff that apple had just works... it just works! And it still is!
You are in the alternatives section dear heart.. Who's now hanging round in the wrong forum.. bringing up age old sayings that wernt true then, and they most certainly aint true now... run along....

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Actually I came from an iPhone to Android and never looked back. That was back in the Froyo days and I did it because I had to jailbreak my iPhone for it to do the things Android did. So why go back when it's still ahead of iOS!
[doublepost=1538885905][/doublepost]
I switched to Android after 2 years of the 6s Plus. I was bored by iOS and wanted to try an Android device for the longest time. The iPhone X had me interested again because it looked great but the price turned me off. I have been using the Huawei P20 Pro for awhile now and I absolutely love it. I also have the XS Max now and I am on the fence whether to keep it or not.

Is the iPhone XS Max better than the P20 Pro? Yes but it's not as clear as I hoped. Android wins over iOS in many situations but iOS has much better gesture controls, even better than Android Pie. This is a very important feature because we interact with our devices so often every day and it just feels right on the iPhone. But there are things in iOS I simply cannot understand. Why am I not able to place app icons at the bottom, why do they have to be anchored to the top left. It's like Apple develops iOS with small devices in mind and forgets about the plus sizes. And no reachability is not a good solution as it requires an additional step.

So would I keep the iPhone XS Max 256gb (1630$) over the Huawei P20 Pro (746$) if I just compared those two phones with each other?

NEVER .... but

The Apple ecosystem has one killer feature that I missed ever since I left it with the 6s Plus. The Apple Watch ...

I have tried all Android Wear and Samsung wearables and they all suck compared to the Apple Watch. I really think the watch is Apple's best product at the moment. Sadly my delivery for it is delayed and will arrive after my 14 day return chance for the iPhone. So the decision comes down to this:

Is it worth to pay around 1600$ for a phone that is slightly better than my current phone only to be able to use the Apple Watch ....
$1600+ for a phone is crazy but if you can afford it without mising that coin, great but if you cant, to pay that just to have a Apple watch is even more insane.
For me it's principle. I'm never going to pay Apple those ridiculous prices. I wouldnt pay $800 for a Samsung either. I got my S9 for half price on launch day but the next time if it is $800+, I'll just get a Motorola. I'm not into latest and greatest.

Last edited:

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London

NEVER .... but

Yes that’s not very fair.
As an Apple Watch series 4 user, it’s a great little piece of tech. The iPhone X’s max/Apple Watch combo is pretty hard to beat.

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
Because iOS 7 made my iPhone 4 crawl. Plus at the time Android manufacturers were doing much better things than Apple. I went from the iPhone 4 to the Samsung Galaxy S4 because it had a huge screen for its time with minimal bezel, expandable storage, replaceable battery etc. Hell, that phone was way ahead of its time in many ways and I feel only the S8 was a worthy successor.

I've been using a Oneplus One, X and 3 in the past years and they each had things going for them. OPO had that fantastic sandstone back and great specs vs price at the time. OP X was the same thing but with the iPhone 4/5 design perfected - my gf still uses hers. Oneplus 3 had a really fast fingerprint sensor and overall just worked well.

However, I went back to iPhone when the XS was released. Yes, I was salty about the price and lack of headphone adapter in the accessories package. Now that I have used it for a while, I really do like it. The camera is great and quick to access, FaceID works really well and the phone works well with gesture-based navigation.

Why did I go back then? I wanted a slightly smaller phone than my OP3 because I find the bezelless full screen models too awkward to use with one hand. The only flagship level smaller option on Android is the S9. I don't like its needlessly curved display and Samsung software is sometimes a bit iffy. I had been trying the iPhone X in stores from time to time and surprisingly liking it. With the XS they fixed most of the issues apart from price so I went that route. I plan to keep this phone for several years.

I'm also not a huge fan of the direction Android is taking. The gesture navigation seems so half-assed and the changes to the multitasking screen seem to be poorly thought out too. Overall I am disappointed with the way nearly all manufacturers are tripping over each other to make the exact same 6+" notched phone with SD845 and no headphone jack. There is no longer the variety in sizes and features Android phones used to have.

rbrian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
I started with a 3GS, then a 4S, then a new one every year. Each one brought real tangible improvements - Retina display, widescreen aspect ratio, Touch ID, larger screen... until the 6S, when I couldn’t really tell the difference. I only bought a 7 because my nephew’s 4 couldn’t run Pokemon Go, so I passed on my 6S. One thing that drives me up the wall with iOS is downloading music for my fitness class, which is only available from a website. The iPhone will stream it in the browser, but will not download. I have to download it on a computer, then deal with iTunes to sync it to me iPhone. What, is it still 2008?

Then there’s the cost of the OLED iPhones - £1000!?!! There’s also an element of boredom, so I download the iOS 12 beta. It has some good bits, my favourite is automatically filling 2FA text messages. Siri shortcuts is interesting, but not good enough. The keyboard seems to have changed - I can’t tell exactly how, but I’m making far more typing mistakes than I ever did before.

There’s not enough software improvements, the same frustrations, and insanely expensive new hardware. I’m considering a move. The Apple Watch is good though, there doesn’t seem to be anything on the Android side that compares.

On the computer side, my 2011 11” MacBook Air was great - except for the screen, which was barely adequate when new. When retina screens spread across iPhones and iPads and Macs, it bothered me more and more. I was all set to buy a 12” retina MacBook, but the price was too high. I waited a year, thinking when a new model came out the old one would get cheaper - but there was no new one, and they increased the price of the old one by 30%! This was a slap in the face, so I bought a similarly specced Surface Pro 4 for literally half the price - the Surface Pro 5 hadn’t even been announced, but there were deep discounts anyway - Apple keeps charging premium prices for old technology.

I discovered that Windows 10 is actually good, and started to wonder if Android might be too - in a mirror image of how crappy “smart”phones drove me to iPhone, which made me wonder if OS X (as it was then) was better than Vista (anything is better than Vista!), leading me to Mac and iPad and Apple TV and Apple Watch.

I bought a £40 Android phone on a whim. The hardware is bad, but not nearly as bad as I expected, and the software is good. I bought a cheap Kindle Fire. Then I bought another one. I tried downloading that fitness class track - I can download it, add it to a playlist, and play it all on one device - one £40 device can do something a £1449 iPhone can’t. I also try copying music from my computer - drag and drop, all done in Windows Explorer, no need for and kind of syncing. It just works. They used to say that about Apple...

I start to think about what I actually need from a phone, and realise that £40 Android has nearly all of it. I add some luxuries, like NFC and OLED screens. The field is thinning, but even so Apple is looking increasingly poor value, so I start researching (the £40 device is ok for proof of concept, but it’s too slow to use daily without tearing my hair out). I was waiting impatiently for the OnePlus 6T, then I saw that Samsung had an excellent trade in offer (£350 for my iPhone 7 128gb, the best I’ve seen elsewhere was £190), so today, I ordered an S9 and an overpriced case for a grand total of £358 (and my iPhone 7). I also ordered the new Samsung Watch for £255. So that’s a flagship phone with OLED, plus a watch, for about the same price as an XR with big bezels, a notch, no headphone jack, that can’t download my music. Oh, and I need more storage, I can slot in a micro SD card.

TLDR: Android can do more; do things iOS simply can’t, for significantly less money.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
I'm also not a huge fan of the direction Android is taking. The gesture navigation seems so half-assed and the changes to the multitasking screen seem to be poorly thought out too. Overall I am disappointed with the way nearly all manufacturers are tripping over each other to make the exact same 6+" notched phone with SD845 and no headphone jack. There is no longer the variety in sizes and features Android phones used to have.

I think samsung has done great with multi-tasking and gesture
With Good Lock 2018, they came out with gesture navigation that beats Iphone many times over.
Now with it, I can effectively use my Note9 one handed easily. You definitely cannot easily use X, XS, XS Max one handed even with gesture.

Reactions: rbrian

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
I think samsung has done great with multi-tasking and gesture
With Good Lock 2018, they came out with gesture navigation that beats Iphone many times over.
Now with it, I can effectively use my Note9 one handed easily. You definitely cannot easily use X, XS, XS Max one handed even with gesture.

I disagree. I think the X/XS are pretty great to use one handed, it was one of the reasons I got one. They are the right combination of physical and screen size to be comfortable for my hands at least. The reachability feature which is activated by pulling down from the home bar brings the top of the display closer so you can click things on it easier. I do like the one handed mode on the Note 9 better though as its size is customizable, the XS Max is uncomfortably big to me to use one handed.

The multitasking looks pretty nice. Apple has done a poor job in supporting split screen multitasking overall. XS phones should have it available should you want to use it and even on an iPad where it is more useful a lot of 3rd party apps especially from Google just don't support it at all. Apple needs to tell developers that it is a requirement to support split screen multitasking instead of this "support it if you want to" nonsense. Personally I never used the split screen multitasking feature on my previous Android phone because I felt switching between two apps was faster.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I disagree. I think the X/XS are pretty great to use one handed, it was one of the reasons I got one. They are the right combination of physical and screen size to be comfortable for my hands at least. The reachability feature which is activated by pulling down from the home bar brings the top of the display closer so you can click things on it easier. I do like the one handed mode on the Note 9 better though as its size is customizable, the XS Max is uncomfortably big to me to use one handed.

The multitasking looks pretty nice. Apple has done a poor job in supporting split screen multitasking overall. XS phones should have it available should you want to use it and even on an iPad where it is more useful a lot of 3rd party apps especially from Google just don't support it at all. Apple needs to tell developers that it is a requirement to support split screen multitasking instead of this "support it if you want to" nonsense. Personally I never used the split screen multitasking feature on my previous Android phone because I felt switching between two apps was faster.
There goes Apple copying Android again with the split screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.