Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
confusion reigns supreme and is the enemy of clarity.:p

Last article said Apple gets 90% of the profits from the smartphone sector. So stick with your “market share is better” fallacy.

The one who tries to correct is wrong himself :p

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247wal...2018/09/20/apple-62-percent-profit-share/amp/

And part of that huge profit comes from ripping you off in repair and strong armed stifling third party repair alternatives.

Charge $1200 to repair when it is a simple dollar job.

Last edited:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
How does crow taste?:p But 62% overall across all markets still tells a tale.

You win. Apple makes mind boggling profit off every buyer.....

....off as few as 12 out 100 buyers in the world, half of them are in US.

Happy now :)

Last edited:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
You win. Apple makes mind boggling profit off every buyer.....

....off as few as 12 out 100 buyers in the world, half of them are in US.

Happy now :)
Whatever these companies charge and whatever these companies make is irrelevant except in threads like this which the info is needed as a counter point to the FUD posted.

If you like the product and find value in the product you may want to buy it irrespective of the gross margins.

Applemaniac7

Suspended
Mar 2, 2018
So Cal.
Whatever these companies charge and whatever these companies make is irrelevant except in threads like this which the info is needed as a counter point to the FUD posted.

If you like the product and find value in the product you may want to buy it irrespective of the gross margins.
That may well be the case but when Ifans brag about profits as if its a good thing. It only highlights how much money they are making off your backs.. would you not know prefer the products at half the cost, and Apple still make a nice profit. Or does that take away one of your main points when comparing Apple v Samsung..

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
That may well be the case but when Ifans brag about profits as if its a good thing. It only highlights how much money they are making off your backs.. would you not know prefer the products at half the cost, and Apple still make a nice profit. Or does that take away one of your main points when comparing Apple v Samsung..
Now we're dividing the community into "ifans" and "fandroids"? How quaint.

Profits are a good thing.

For me, I don't care how much money Apple is making off my back, I find value in the products. Others seemingly do also, which is why Apple is a $1T company. Not saying their products are for everybody and rah-rah for competition and all of that, but the company has expanded beyond their core group of hard core "fans" and appears to be attracting new customers.

That is the point, with a lot of this pointless bickering back and forth.

You like android and the file system. Perfect. That doesn't take anything away from anybody who wants to use IOS. There are no points to be won in the internet war of which vendor is better or which operating system is better. The public has spoken.

Bottom line, if one wants a more windows type of environment on their phone, go with android.

I know I sure don't.

DiamonDecoden

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2011
Texas
Android and iOS both have their good and bad. I love how Android handles certain things and hates how iOS does certain things. And there are things iOS excels and Android lacks.
I tend the switch between them especially when I get bored with iOS.

Reactions: jamezr

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Android and iOS both have their good and bad. I love how Android handles certain things and hates how iOS does certain things. And there are things iOS excels and Android lacks.
I tend the switch between them especially when I get bored with iOS.

I'd like to know how how iOS excels and android lacks.

Applemaniac7

Suspended
Mar 2, 2018
So Cal.
Bottom line, if one wants a more windows type of environment on their phone, go with android..
What a ridiculous comparison, I've used Apple and windows products in my work life since 1988, So im pretty sure I know the difference.. and for the last decade managed company handsets, including all manners of devices... to say android is like windows in regards to iOS being like osx is bizarre....

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
What a ridiculous comparison, I've used Apple and windows products in my work life since 1988, So im pretty sure I know the difference.. and for the last decade managed company handsets, including all manners of devices... to say android is like windows in regards to iOS being like osx is bizarre....
You know the difference with what? Why did you even bring osx into the conversation? You're the only one discussing it. And since you started with the I've been in it since...I started with the ibm XT in 1983. :p

Reactions: IdentityCrisis

lugworm

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2011
UK
The one thing that made me get rid of my ip7 and get the s9 was itunes. I want all my music and movies on my phone, so simply inserted an sd card and there it was ! When I want to add anything more, it's simply drag and drop. No more farting around with itunes.

Applemaniac7

Suspended
Mar 2, 2018
So Cal.
You know.if.you.go.in a base model.car, and there's loads of blank.switches on the dash where the higher spec models have them.. that's ios compared with android..
That said it loads up Facebook a nano second quicker, so alls well....

Reactions: rbrian

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
You know.if.you.go.in a base model.car, and there's loads of blank.switches on the dash where the higher spec models have them.. that's ios compared with android..
That said it loads up Facebook a nano second quicker, so alls well....

You are giving a bit too much to iOS. I dont think there are any blank switches. If you need to add on you have to take a saw and cut the dashboard :)

DiamonDecoden

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2011
Texas
iMessage, FaceTime works well when all your friends and aging parents have iPhone. Sending pictures and videos with text in full resolution. If my friends and family were a bit more technology savvy, I think we would be on Android (you can use google photos, and Messenger) were it is cheaper but since my parents learned on iOS and it has a lot more support, it is easier for me to be on iOS with them. Also, with Google photos- it is always on the cloud, you would need to have good wifi connection to upload it all to the cloud and that can be a pain when you should want to send it to your friend right away. I don't like to mention this but unfortunately, Android phones have bad resell value just like Windows PCs... So if you own Android and Windows, I feel it is better not to resell because the value you loose....So, these are some cons for android and pros for Apple.

Apple watch 4 is 'better' than the android watches currently because it supports more apps currently. It offers more niche health tracking features. The interface is much better designed than the android watch. If you look at the graphics between Apple and Android, Apple is designed better especially in the watch department.. this is for now, i am sure Android will catch up like they did in the mobile department but currently it is okay.. Samsung watches are probably the best in android watches.

I am a huge fan of both Apple and Google. I love Google's Android Auto on the phone... I LOVE! I don't have a 'smart' car so Android auto is such a good replacement for that. Apple don't have any answers to that currently. if you know what I am talking about, please suggest an iOS alternative that starts right away once connects to the car's bluetooth device.
[doublepost=1539623083][/doublepost]Where Android excels -- to be fair for all the android lovers on here ^-^
1. Android hardware- it is vastly different from 1 phone to another. if you want a phone that will last you 3 days of battery, there is one. Stylus in the phone- Notes are the best!!!! I love that. I wish Apple would bring Apple Pencil support to iPhone. I think they NEED to. WTF right? where is the Ecosystem on that.
2. Android would have features way before iPhones like wireless charging. notification tray pull down menu... quick settings, EVERYTHING you can imagine!!!!! it is there. you can even make your phone work like an iPhone w/o the iMessage and FaceTime ofc.
3. Android Auto is good if you don't have a 'smart' car.
4. you can shoot square videos on default... iOS can't do this :(
5. more video/ image modes and camera setting is more robust.

Currently iOS is my main device and android is my sidekick. They make a great combo. I will use my Android for shooting square video for my instagram and iOS for communication.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
iMessage, FaceTime works well when all your friends and aging parents have iPhone. Sending pictures and videos with text in full resolution. If my friends and family were a bit more technology savvy, I think we would be on Android (you can use google photos, and Messenger) were it is cheaper but since my parents learned on iOS and it has a lot more support, it is easier for me to be on iOS with them. Also, with Google photos- it is always on the cloud, you would need to have good wifi connection to upload it all to the cloud and that can be a pain when you should want to send it to your friend right away. I don't like to mention this but unfortunately, Android phones have bad resell value just like Windows PCs... So if you own Android and Windows, I feel it is better not to resell because the value you loose....So, these are some cons for android and pros for Apple.

Apple watch 4 is 'better' than the android watches currently because it supports more apps currently. It offers more niche health tracking features. The interface is much better designed than the android watch. If you look at the graphics between Apple and Android, Apple is designed better especially in the watch department.. this is for now, i am sure Android will catch up like they did in the mobile department but currently it is okay.. Samsung watches are probably the best in android watches.

I am a huge fan of both Apple and Google. I love Google's Android Auto on the phone... I LOVE! I don't have a 'smart' car so Android auto is such a good replacement for that. Apple don't have any answers to that currently. if you know what I am talking about, please suggest an iOS alternative that starts right away once connects to the car's bluetooth device.
[doublepost=1539623083][/doublepost]Where Android excels -- to be fair for all the android lovers on here ^-^
1. Android hardware- it is vastly different from 1 phone to another. if you want a phone that will last you 3 days of battery, there is one. Stylus in the phone- Notes are the best!!!! I love that. I wish Apple would bring Apple Pencil support to iPhone. I think they NEED to. WTF right? where is the Ecosystem on that.
2. Android would have features way before iPhones like wireless charging. notification tray pull down menu... quick settings, EVERYTHING you can imagine!!!!! it is there. you can even make your phone work like an iPhone w/o the iMessage and FaceTime ofc.
3. Android Auto is good if you don't have a 'smart' car.
4. you can shoot square videos on default... iOS can't do this :(
5. more video/ image modes and camera setting is more robust.

Currently iOS is my main device and android is my sidekick. They make a great combo. I will use my Android for shooting square video for my instagram and iOS for communication.

One of the "big" thing on iOS, Imessage/facetime is never used or popular in most part of the world...fortunately :)

Agree with on apple watch provided you want it to replace your phone some of the time (i.e with more apps support). I think most people will have their phone with them most of the time, so lots of app support on a watch may not be so crucial. I think most people mainly use the watch for fitness purpose.

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008

Different user experience and operation that you either like better than Android or don't. Overall both operating systems do roughly the same things with individual strentghts and weaknesses. Android does a bit more for very specific use cases. Android allows more tinkering but personally I don't have much interest in that nowadays and even on my Android phones stuck with OS defaults for many things.

iOS is more visually consistent overall, including 3rd party software. I've noticed this on OSX vs Windows as well, it seems 3rd party developers are more willing to follow Apple's design guidelines than MS or Google's.

iOS works better with gesture based navigation. It's not perfect, but it is better than Android Pie and better supported in 3rd party apps.

I went back to iOS with the iPhone XS because I felt that it was the better device for my needs and iOS works perfectly fine for my needs at the moment.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
One of the "big" thing on iOS, Imessage/facetime is never used or popular in most part of the world...fortunately :)

Agree with on apple watch provided you want it to replace your phone some of the time (i.e with more apps support). I think most people will have their phone with them most of the time, so lots of app support on a watch may not be so crucial. I think most people mainly use the watch for fitness purpose.
If you have an opinion most people use the Apple watch for fitness purposes you probably would be wrong.

Johns12

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2008
I've owned every Iphone from 1 to 6 (never had an s). Now have a Note 8. I don't understand all the arguing. Android is fine. The note 8 is a great phone. I haven't had many problems with either the IPhones or the Note. All in all the differences are so trivial it doesn't matter. The only problems I had making the switch was syncing my Apple computers and wife's IPhone with the Note. Got it all figured out and things are great.

rbrian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
Not really a great recovery. Left out a few: Apple Pay, directions, ekg (not on android), fall detection (not on android), Walkie-talkie, glucose monitoring, etc.

He said what people use it for, not what it's capable of. Nobody uses the EKG, because it isn't available yet, and outside North America, it won't be for years. People "use" fall detection in the same way they use car airbags.

I used my Apple watch for notifications, fitness tracking, remote music control, preset message replies, nothing else. I use my new Samsung watch for exactly the same things.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
He said what people use it for, not what it's capable of. Nobody uses the EKG, because it isn't available yet, and outside North America, it won't be for years. People "use" fall detection in the same way they use car airbags.

I used my Apple watch for notifications, fitness tracking, remote music control, preset message replies, nothing else. I use my new Samsung watch for exactly the same things.
"He" doesn't know what "people" use if for. "He" only knows what people in his sphere use it for, which is not the entire apple watch population. Analysts estimate (you can google this) about 46 million apple watches sold. Does "he" know how each of the 46 million use their apple watch?

As far as the EKG, it's coming, and you can bet people are going to use it when it is available. And that probably will amount to millions and millions. That and fall detection still isn't available on android.

Reactions: IdentityCrisis

rbrian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
"He" doesn't know what "people" use if for. "He" only knows what people in his sphere use it for, which is not the entire apple watch population. Analysts estimate (you can google this) about 46 million apple watches sold. Does "he" know how each of the 46 million use their apple watch?

As far as the EKG, it's coming, and you can bet people are going to use it when it is available. And that probably will amount to millions and millions. That and fall detection still isn't available on android.

You don't know either! I'm sure you're right that people will use the EKG, but when the novelty wears off, I doubt many will continue to use it. Fall detection may not be available on Android, but there are features missing from the Apple watch too - my Samsung vibrates when it gets out of range of my phone. It seems to me that's more useful more of the time than fall detection. The people who are most likely to benefit from fall detection - the elderly - are more likely to leave their phone behind, so why is nobody adding both of these features?

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
You don't know either! I'm sure you're right that people will use the EKG, but when the novelty wears off, I doubt many will continue to use it. Fall detection may not be available on Android, but there are features missing from the Apple watch too - my Samsung vibrates when it gets out of range of my phone. It seems to me that's more useful more of the time than fall detection. The people who are most likely to benefit from fall detection - the elderly - are more likely to leave their phone behind, so why is nobody adding both of these features?
You're right, I don't know, but I didn't postulate 3 out of all the capabilities that an Apple Watch can be used for. I'm saying "he" doesn't know and there are useful feature that aren't on android in the area of health and safety. And for all those who say AW is used for fitness, in any way shape or form, I'd likely agree.

As far as fall detection, that to me is more useful than out of range. If you hiking and take spill your watch can call 911. If you're home and take a spill you don't need an iphone to make a call. The AW 4 is designed to be used without an iphone, calls, texts, podcasts, music etc. So having it vibrate when out of range to me is superfluous. But I can understand why you find the vibrate more useful. Walkie-talkie the verdict is out.

rdillon2008

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2018
Bahamas
I see that everyone here had a samsung device besides me. I was a HTC FLAGSHIP buyer. HTC AMAZE, HTC BUTTERFLY, HTC BUTTERFLY S, HTC M8, HTC M9 and HTC 10. This is to say that I would never go to a samsung. The only phones I try outside HTC is iphone and the other i would try is the pixel. However, I just started using iphones last year. I had the 6s plus 128gb then 8 plus 256gb with apple watch series 3 but i sold the watch. Now, I am currently rockin a 256gb xs max. If you are moving to android, you only can enjoy smoothness on a high end htc device currently u12 plus

Reactions: I7guy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.