Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
How so?

If your cell tower is not near you and you have 2-3 bars signal, then that can't be better than reception of your router that is 1-2m away. Of course there is drainage if your wifi constantly goes on and off instead that it is always connected.

Bad reception = slower network = delayed notifications
[doublepost=1498038825][/doublepost]
That periodically is not push and that's why we have delayed notification. If it stayed connected then notifications will come as a push.

It doesnt matter if the cell tower is near or not, if you're getting signal from your carrier you will get notifications. Its a very small amount of data used anyway even though you think turning off carrier data will save you GB's of data :)

Reactions: bbrks

Tallfish0919

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2014
Hahaha maybe you guys should read up on WMM Power Save....

That is why your wifi turns off when it's sleeping.

The setting depends on the router.

Turn off WMM and it will always stay on wifi...
[doublepost=1498065787][/doublepost]WMM also features a Power Save certification that helps small devices on a network conserve battery life. Power Save allows small devices, such as phones and PDAs, to transmit data while in a low-power "dozing" status. The certification gives software developers and hardware manufacturers a way to fine-tune battery use in the ever-increasing number of small devices that have Wi-Fi capabilities.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Hahaha maybe you guys should read up on WMM Power Save....

That is why your wifi turns off when it's sleeping.

The setting depends on the router.

Turn off WMM and it will always stay on wifi...
[doublepost=1498065787][/doublepost]WMM also features a Power Save certification that helps small devices on a network conserve battery life. Power Save allows small devices, such as phones and PDAs, to transmit data while in a low-power "dozing" status. The certification gives software developers and hardware manufacturers a way to fine-tune battery use in the ever-increasing number of small devices that have Wi-Fi capabilities.

I will look into this, but I doubt this will help me.

Care to explain why you believe as you do?

GP-SE

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2013
My guess is because your battery will die very fast if it kept constant connection to wifi when its not needed.
And that 99% of people that have iphones have data plans so they dont solely rely on wifi to get their notifications.

This is correct, having WiFi on while the phone is asleep will consume more battery. The reason is that the phone will always be running the cellular radio, when the device is awake or asleep the cellular radio is always active, the reason is simple... ITS A PHONE, the purpose of a phone is for phone call/be connected, so the cellular radio has to be on all the
How so?

If your cell tower is not near you and you have 2-3 bars signal, then that can't be better than reception of your router that is 1-2m away. Of course there is drainage if your wifi constantly goes on and off instead that it is always connected.

Bad reception = slower network = delayed notifications
[doublepost=1498038825][/doublepost]
That periodically is not push and that's why we have delayed notification. If it stayed connected then notifications will come as a push.

Having WiFi on while the phone is asleep will consume more battery. The reason is that the phone will always be running the cellular radio, when the device is awake or asleep the cellular radio is always active. The reason is simple... ITS A PHONE, the purpose of a phone is for phone calls/to be connected, so the cellular radio has to be on all the time by design.

When the device is awake it will run the cellular radio which is always running and turn on the WiFi radio for data. However when the device goes to sleep it'll turn off the WiFi radio to conserve battery power, since it's not needed. By forcing WiFi on while the device is asleep your causing it to run both radios which is consuming more battery power. Also when the device is asleep there isn't much data transfer, so there is no point in running two radios for such minuscule amounts of background traffic.

Remember if the phone is doing something like streaming music from Spotify and you turn off the screen, the phone is still using WiFi. It's only when nothing is actively using WiFi that the phone will turn it off while the screen is off/ phone asleep.

Reactions: Applejuiced

Djilkosh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
Serbia
Okay, BUT...

When I had android phones, I studied about battery consumption or rather I say battery drain. There is app BBS (betterbatterystats) which is very very complex app. You can go to XDA and see that.

What I have discover is that from most to least drain settings (when device is sleeping):

4G (data on) without wifi
3G (data on) without wifi
Wifi always on connected (while you have network on 2G/3G/4G)
2G (data on) without wifi

So if there is like that, why would then on iPhone same settings drain power more? It doesn't make sense. While on iPhone we don't have such an app, because of the closed system, we can't provide results, but I think it is the same.

If you in this equation put cellular signal that can be bad, there is then so much battery drain in 4G and 3G and at least ofc 2G, while havin' wifi always connected (where you have full signal) and data going through wifi in the background will cause lower drain than data going through cellular network (without wifi).

Shorter distance = Less power (wifi - 1-2m from device)
Bigger distance = More power (cellular data through cellular tower which is far away 500m - 1km)

rzc16512

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2015
Can someone tell me why this is a big deal?

This seems to have been a thing that became a thing with the iPhone 5 and iOS 6. Why?
It's been a thing since ios 4 with the iPhone 4. I remember well since I thought somehow I had used 16GB of cellular data while my iPhone was locked (and disconnected from wifi after 30 seconds) on my 150 MB plan :p. Luckily the ios counter had just glitched out. Switched to unlimited (had Verizon) a while later.

Reactions: eyoungren

HallStevenson

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2012
My wifi appears to remain on thru the nite as well. My emails come thru with various time stamps during the wee hours.
Timestamps are based on when the other person sent the message, not when your phone received them. Turn your phone OFF for a while, then check the timestamps of mail you receive. They won't all be at the time you turned your phone back on.

mahcawk93

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2018
Lancaster, CA
It’s actually quite simple. As stated above WMM APSD (Automatic Power Save Delivery) is a power saving feature featured on some wireless routers. It’s an option that allows the wireless chipset in smaller devices or mobile devices to turn on and off as needed. In theory it should improve battery life seing as your not running two radios. Yes it is true that WiFi saves more power than cellular, but that’s only when data is being transferred (downloading a large file, streaming video etc.) When your iPhone goes into sleep mode large amounts of data (usually) are not being transferred (think of just push notifications mainly) so WiFi turns off and cellular radio kicks in. iPhones in general are more battery efficient than Android counterparts due to the system programming overal. This is why iPhones are touted with the best standby battery life.

Basically Apple knows what it’s doing. If you don’t want your iPhone to keep disconnecting while in sleep mode, go into your router and look for WMM APSD or something similar to power save mode under wireless settings and disable it. Should fix all your problems. ASUS routers tends to come with the option enabled. Also take a look into beamforming. This can sometimes knock off iphones. You may want try disabling those options as well.

Reactions: Djilkosh
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.