Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

everythingapplerainbow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 28, 2017
What do you think about this? How could this happened?
Any possible technical reasons guys? Because Face ID not seemed to be bypassed by 3D mask on other YouTube videos.

Last edited:

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Not enough is shown in this demo to know for sure but it could be that he set up Face ID with the mask and the mask unlocks it as it should.

A proper demonstration would be to set up Face ID with a human and then to have a mask of that human’s face unlock Face ID. That would be a security risk but that is not what this demo showed.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Any possible technical reasons guys? Because Face ID not seemed to be bypassed by 3D mask on other YouTube videos.

There's not enough technical data here to make a fair analysis based on one mask that was created to bypass Face ID. The reality is, to what length will somebody go to manipulate face ID and access one's personal information.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gathomblipoob

Absrnd

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
Flatland
While this video doesn't really show how it's done, and if there is some trickery,
but it is the same as using someones finger print obtained from a glass or something, likewise you could construct a 3D face from several images.

Reactions: jouster74

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to steal Dave’s phone and destroy the embarrassing photo of Phil that he took at the pub last week. Should you or your team be discovered, you will be disavowed. This snapchat will self destruct in 30 seconds...

T-Bob

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2013
He made an exact mask of his face, it’s not surprising that the dot projector would sense the same dimensions and believe it was him. Suppose the eyes look open as well, not sure why the other fleshy bits are needed.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Lol that seems dodgy as.

But, it could be legit...not that it should concern people - as if anyone's going to that trouble to access a phone of a regular Joe Blow.
[doublepost=1510392425][/doublepost]
He made an exact mask of his face, it’s not surprising that the dot projector would sense the same dimensions and believe it was him. Suppose the eyes look open as well, not sure why the other fleshy bits are needed.
The Iris detection function would've been disabled, so it just looked for 3D face mapping.

Reactions: ipedro and Ntombi

M33-1

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010

It’s really not a big deal. If you were truly looking for a secure phone, you would just press the Siri button and the bottom left volume until you get emergency SOS. This would disable Face ID and require a code. You would perform this action if you felt that you were in an environment where you needed a passcode to unlock your phone vs Face ID.

That is, if you are a criminal, and are concerned about the FBI trying to use your face to get into your phone.

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
Not enough is shown in this demo to know for sure but it could be that he set up Face ID with the mask and the mask unlocks it as it should.

A proper demonstration would be to set up Face ID with a human and then to have a mask of that human’s face unlock Face ID. That would be a security risk but that is not what this demo showed.
That was my first reaction as well.

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
Just a question. I don’t have an X so can’t test. But if you swipe up to unlock like he did, shouldn’t you still see the lock at the top unlock as the face has been accepted. It has still locked when he swiped up. And is the lock there even when you don’t have a passcode?

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
The word is that mask costs a good amount of money to fabricate, plus you actually have to have the owner of the phone let you make a laser scan of his or her face so the mask can be constructed. How are you going to accomplish that?

Reactions: x-evil-x

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Just a question. I don’t have an X so can’t test. But if you swipe up to unlock like he did, shouldn’t you still see the lock at the top unlock as the face has been accepted. It has still locked when he swiped up. And is the lock there even when you don’t have a passcode?

Yes, I thought that was a bit strange.

Also, my guess is he had the Face ID Attention Aware feature turned off. There are so many holes in this.. I don't know where to start.

That said, my face unlocks my iPhone X with only one eye open, so what do I know?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.