Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DiveKitty

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2017
It's about your data. If they can get into your financial apps and transfer funds for instance, that's worth a lot more. Or even pay for products using your saved credit card or Apple Pay information.

The thing with the mask is...someone has to have access to making a 3D mask of your face, and have time to train the Face ID to the mask (i.e. input passcodes when it fails). I am not sure why most would bother with this when they can just call your elderly grandma and ask her to buy itunes cards for them, or send them bank info so they can deposit $5,000,000 from Nigeria.

Much more efficient to hold a gun to your head and have you unlock with Face ID, Touch ID, or a passcode.

Even if someone stole your phone and hauled around a mask to use Apple Pay or enter all your apps, you can use Find My iPhone and lock it. Or, you know, call your bank and lock down your accounts and cards.

So yeah, I am not worried about this scenario at all.

Last edited:

Diorama

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2017
If they were serious they would be more transparent.
It wouldn’t matter anyway.

1096bimu

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2017
What people don’t seem to get is that security features on a phone is not designed to be unbreakable.
They are designed to remove the incentive to steal your phone or steal your data by stealing your phone.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
But he also used his face in the video to unlock
[doublepost=1510589953][/doublepost]TouchID requires physical access to your victim's fingers to coly the print.

It's possible to create a 3d model of a person's face from pictures.

Hilarious that once it's pointed out how hackable the X is, MacRumor user responses: I won't watch the video, I don't have important stuff on my phone, There have been worse breaches
[doublepost=1510590073][/doublepost]https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/face-id-bypassed-by-a-mask.2087466/
First of all, you can’t do it with 1 picture. It takes multiple pictures from multiple angles to even get close to an accurate 3d model of someone’s face. How do you plan on getting those without someone asking you what the hell your doing? This whole tricking the face ID thing is getting boring. My phone is always in my pocket or in my hand, how are you going to access my faceID if you don’t have my phone?

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
I just read this article and wanted to share it with you all. I am not worried about it, as I do not think anyone would go through this procedure to get in my phone but I am curious if what they said in the article is true about covering part of your face and it still working. I would try it myself, however, I will not have my iPhone X for a few more days. Thanks in advance!

Link:

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2017/11/13/iphone-x-face-id-already-tricked-by-200-mask.html

:apple:

DiveKitty

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2017
That mask is just getting more expensive: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/face-id-being-tricked-by-150-mask.2088044/

Face ID does work with “part” of your face covered, otherwise it would not work with sunglasses, hats, scarves.

But these supposed mask “tricks” are unrealistic in that no one in real life is going to get a 3D mask of your face (unless you let them) and be able to work with the X to “learn” the face adjustments over time before you just lock your phone (or it locks them out). First time it fails it needs a passcode. If they want in your phone that badly, there are much easier ways.

Last edited:

Yakibomb

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2014
Cape Town
I just read this article and wanted to share it with you all. I am not worried about it, as I do not think anyone would go through this procedure to get in my phone but I am curious if what they said in the article is true about covering part of your face and it still working. I would try it myself, however, I will not have my iPhone X for a few more days. Thanks in advance!

Link:

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2017/11/13/iphone-x-face-id-already-tricked-by-200-mask.html

Not sure ifcovering "half" the face as they mention is accurate, but its understandable that there's a threshold amount of visible 'face' required. If 100% was always required, it would be impossible to use with partial masks, caps, and even glasses as these would drop the % below 100

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
That mask is just getting more expensive: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/face-id-being-tricked-by-150-mask.2088044/

Face ID does work with “part” of your face covered, otherwise it would not work with sunglasses, hats, scarves.

But these supposed mask “tricks” are unrealistic in that no one in real life is going to get a 3D mask of your face (unless you let them) and be able to work with the X to “learn” the face adjustments over time before you just lock your phone (or it locks them out). First time it fails it needs a passcode. If they want in your phone that badly, there are much easier ways.

Ha, that is why I am not worried about it. Nothing really in my phone that would be worth $200.00 and someones time to unlock it. I was just curious about the "half a face" claim. Thank you for the response!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.