Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
Found Face ID not working on my iPad Pro since update to 16.4.1. Didn't worry about it for a while because I was using it in circumstances where I know that Face ID is not always reliable.

However, today I had some time to sort it out, there is clearly a mess. First, it acted as if Face ID didn't exist - went straight to passcode.

Then I tried changing settings - removed the need for attention. No change. Tried to reset Face ID. Said I had to do that in portrait - then seemed to act as if Face ID was unusable/unavailable. Restart. Re-established Face ID. Seems to be working.

First time I have had issues with Face ID on iPhone or iPad since my first use of it. But very glad it went wrong on my iPad rather than my iPhone.

Reactions: Pezimak

udance4ever

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2005
curious if you are still having this issue? I didn’t have any issues on my 2018 iPadPro after 16.4.1 and I have this issue after the 16.4.1 (a) update - it seems like it just won’t read my face.

I’m kinda tired of how unstable iPadOS 16 is - things were quite stable on iPadOS 15 so it’s disappointing as this is what I loved about iOS for 15 years but now I‘m just ranting…

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
curious if you are still having this issue? I didn’t have any issues on my 2018 iPadPro after 16.4.1 and I have this issue after the 16.4.1 (a) update - it seems like it just won’t read my face.

I’m kinda tired of how unstable iPadOS 16 is - things were quite stable on iPadOS 15 so it’s disappointing as this is what I loved about iOS for 15 years but now I‘m just ranting…
It was just a one-off issue. Thankfully.

But a couple of apps seem to have odd issues they didn't used to have. Very difficult to be sure as the apps themselves tend to update.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Found Face ID not working on my iPad Pro since update to 16.4.1. Didn't worry about it for a while because I was using it in circumstances where I know that Face ID is not always reliable.

However, today I had some time to sort it out, there is clearly a mess. First, it acted as if Face ID didn't exist - went straight to passcode.

Then I tried changing settings - removed the need for attention. No change. Tried to reset Face ID. Said I had to do that in portrait - then seemed to act as if Face ID was unusable/unavailable. Restart. Re-established Face ID. Seems to be working.

First time I have had issues with Face ID on iPhone or iPad since my first use of it. But very glad it went wrong on my iPad rather than my iPhone.

I‘ve had this on my M1 11” iPad Pro, in fact I’ve found the latest two or three updates to be crap and bug ridden. Apple going back to the iOS 11 days it seems.

Reactions: polyphenol

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
Make sure area over camera is clean - I some times find doesn't work at all until I clean glass

ledzepfan1981

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2015
I'm having the problem of Face ID not working since I updated to iPadOS 16.5 on Friday.

I've gone through all the tips about restarting the iPad, cleaning the camera, etc. Nothing is working. So I went to set up Face ID again and now it just says cannot set it up at this time, please try again later!

What can I do please?

Special-Ed

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2013
16.5 has completely disabled the cameras on my 2020 11 inch iPad Pro. Face ID no longer works and the FaceTime and camera apps just show a black screen. I’ve tried rebooting and a full restore, nothing has worked…

Reactions: polyphenol
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.