Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ryantbfh

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 23, 2014
UK
Anyone else noticed this? Kinda annoying, don’t see why it does this especially when I remember reading that Face ID uses barely any battery?

bambooshots

Suspended
Jul 25, 2013
Anyone else noticed this? Kinda annoying, don’t see why it does this especially when I remember reading that Face ID uses barely any battery?

With all the illuminators and projectors and cameras running for FaceID, it's starting to become clear why the battery life isn't rated for as long as the 8 Plus even though the battery is slightly larger.

Cory Bauer

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2003
Yes, the only time I’ve had Face ID fail thus far was when my phone was at 1% and 60 seconds from powering itself off; at that time Face ID failed 3 times in a row. Must be a security precaution of some kind?

Reactions: ryantbfh

DDustiNN

macrumors 68030
Jan 27, 2011
But it’s a step-back.

After having the X for a couple of days, Face ID definitely fails me more often than Touch ID. It’s still amazing technology, but still leaves one missing the reliability and convenience of Touch ID.
I agree with this. It’s pretty awesome when it works quickly and effortlessly (literally effortlessly - like when I open my banking app, it just logs right in, where previously I had to actually activate TouchID).

But other times when it doesn’t work immediately, or if I’m at the wrong angle, it’s kind of annoying and makes me wish I had TouchID.

I think a combination of both would be fantastic. FaceID, as well as TouchID under the screen (even just like the bottom 1/3 if the screen would be perfect), and whichever one matches first, it unlocks. I hope they’re working toward that.

santela

macrumors regular
May 15, 2017
If you find yourself in a situation where your battery is so depleted that Face ID has been disabled...you ARE the step back.

Right, because you never had your phone under 10% battery life.
[doublepost=1509938165][/doublepost]
Lol Macrumors any reason to moan and groan.

And sheeps can’t understand simple logic if it’s a criticism against Apple.

Hoosier317

Suspended
Sep 21, 2016
Right, because you never had your phone under 10% battery life.
[doublepost=1509938165][/doublepost]

And sheeps can’t understand simple logic if it’s a criticism against Apple.
It was a joke. Regardless, if you allow your phone to dip below a certain level of charge and that in turn limits certain functions that provide convienience...that's your own fault. This isn't a new concept.

Reactions: stulaw11

santela

macrumors regular
May 15, 2017
I agree with this. It’s pretty awesome when it works quickly and effortlessly (literally effortlessly - like when I open my banking app, it just logs right in, where previously I had to actually activate TouchID).

But other times when it doesn’t work immediately, or if I’m at the wrong angle, it’s kind of annoying and makes me wish I had TouchID.

I think a combination of both would be fantastic. FaceID, as well as TouchID under the screen (even just like the bottom 1/3 if the screen would be perfect), and whichever one matches first, it unlocks. I hope they’re working toward that.
Yup, I’m still amazed at the technology, how my phone just unlocks when I raise it to my face. But when I’m lying in bed or having the phone on my desk or holding it at an awkward angle, it fails me pretty often. A combination of face and Touch ID would be wonderful.
[doublepost=1509938375][/doublepost]
It was a joke. Regardless, if you allow your phone to dip below a certain level of charge and that in turn limits certain functions that provide convienience...that's your own fault. This isn't a new concept.

So it wasn’t my fault with Touch ID, now with Face ID it’s my fault? Explain that one to me.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68030
Jan 27, 2011
Yup, I’m still amazed at the technology, how my phone just unlocks when I raise it to my face. But when I’m lying in bed or having the phone on my desk or holding it at an awkward angle, it fails me pretty often. A combination of face and Touch ID would be wonderful.
[doublepost=1509938375][/doublepost]

So it wasn’t my fault with Touch ID, now with Face ID it’s my fault? Explain that one to me.
You know, I was actually very pleasantly surprised when my FaceID worked while I was laying in bed (on my side, face on pillow, nonetheless). It works every time there.

The times it doesn’t work always end up being situations where I would expect it to work... I just gotta figure those out I guess.

santela

macrumors regular
May 15, 2017
You know, I was actually very pleasantly surprised when my FaceID worked while I was laying in bed (on my side, face on pillow, nonetheless). It works every time there.

The times it doesn’t work always end up being situations where I would expect it to work... I just gotta figure those out I guess.

Interesting, I’m having the most trouble when I’m in bed. When I lay sideways and my face is half sunk into the pillow Face ID doesn’t work, which is expected. Then I lift my head up to unlock it, no big deal. But that’s when I miss Touch ID.

Hoosier317

Suspended
Sep 21, 2016

You do realize that that a Face ID is the evolution of Touch ID, right? It is more technically advanced and requires more resources in order to provide a superior experience. You still have your passcode. Charge your phone! Either way, get used to it. They have gone all in on Face ID. Touch ID is on it's way out.

santela

macrumors regular
May 15, 2017
You do realize that that a Face ID is the evolution of Touch ID, right? It is more technically advanced and requires more resources in order to provide a superior experience. You still have your passcode. Charge your phone! Either way, get used to it. They have gone all in on Face ID. Touch ID is on it's way out.

I agree with most of what you are saying, except the “superior experience” part. It’s superior in some ways and a compromise in others. At the very least, they should give user the option: turn off Face ID only on battery saving mode.

predation

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2013
But it’s a step-back.

After having the X for a couple of days, Face ID definitely fails me more often than Touch ID. It’s still amazing technology, but still leaves one missing the reliability and convenience of Touch ID.
Maybe it’s your unit.
Face ID has been superb for me

Hoosier317

Suspended
Sep 21, 2016
I agree with most of what you are saying, except the “superior experience” part. It’s superior in some ways and a compromise in others. At the very least, they should give user the option: turn off Face ID only on battery saving mode.
How is it a compromise? It works better for me in every single scenario where I was previously using Touch ID.

santela

macrumors regular
May 15, 2017
Maybe it’s your unit.
Face ID has been superb for me

It’s superb most of the time, but fails me in all the situations I would expect it to fail (see my post above).
[doublepost=1509939950][/doublepost]
How is it a compromise? It works better for me in every single scenario where I was previously using Touch ID.

Every single scenario? That’s how I know you can’t objectively evaluate the product. Even Apple admits Face ID isn’t “better in every single scenario”.

Renho

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
But it’s a step-back.

It’s worked great for me. Makes it easier for apps that require sign on too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.