Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

santela

macrumors regular
May 15, 2017
It’s worked great for me. Makes it easier for apps that require sign on too.

It works great for me too whenever I expect it to. The times it doesn’t work is when I also expect it not to (awkward angles or in bed and face partially sunk into pillow).

Federer2017

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2017
Germany
Hello,

I‘m Chris from Germany and after reading for quite a long time, i decided to sign up and this is my first post.

I‘m sorry for my english skills and hope that you can barely understand what I am talking about ..

I just wanted to ask, if your iPhone X really doesn’t unlock via FaceID when battery is under 5%?

I have my iPhone X since Friday and as with every other new phone I am playing around with it all time.
In times of battery life, i am not as happy as i was with my 8+, which had an incredible battery (8+: 100% —> 5% with 12 hours of usage time and 28 hours standby vs. X: 9h Usage and 15h Standby).

What keeps me wondering is the fact that FaceID still worked fine at 1%. Is there a setting, where you activate FaceID will not work at low battery or is my battery maybe not configured correctly so that it shows battery at 1% but it isn’t really as low so that FaceID still works for that reason?

P.S. I hope you can understand what I want to say. If I spelled something wrong or there are other mistakes in this text I would appreciate it if you would correct me!

Thanks!

Reactions: ryantbfh and ABC5S

DDustiNN

macrumors 68030
Jan 27, 2011
Just tested mine as the battery got low. My FaceID worked all the way down to 1%, with no issues at all.

8ieZS9q.jpg
38jBBb1.png

johnnylam

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2013
I've also tested this on my iPhone X device with 5% battery. No issues as well.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
Right, because you never had your phone under 10% battery life.
[doublepost=1509938165][/doublepost]

And sheeps can’t understand simple logic if it’s a criticism against Apple.
Fast charging.......so hurry up and get it charged fast for pete’s sake.
[doublepost=1509945632][/doublepost]
Just tested mine as the battery got low. My FaceID worked all the way down to 1%, with no issues at all.

8ieZS9q.jpg
38jBBb1.png
Stop refuting their negatism with factual information.

santela

macrumors regular
May 15, 2017
Fast charging.......so hurry up and get it charged fast for pete’s sake.
[doublepost=1509945632][/doublepost]
Stop refuting their negatism with factual information.

Yeah, only if Apple included one in the box...

Reactions: ABC5S

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
Yeah, only if Apple included one in the box...
It was in an apple box, just a different one that I paid extra for. Sorry I won’t give up faster charging just to save few bucks.

While I agree with you phylisophically this is one windmill I won’t be attacking. Apple won’t notice or care if I do or don’t buy a larger power adapter. And since I already have several I used on previous iPhones, it’s a done deal.

Diorama

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2017
Password works 100% of the time, therefore TouchID was a massive fail and a step back.

MacRumours logic.

santela

macrumors regular
May 15, 2017
It was in an apple box, just a different one that I paid extra for. Sorry I won’t give up faster charging just to save few bucks.

While I agree with you phylisophically this is one windmill I won’t be attacking. Apple won’t notice or care if I do or don’t buy a larger power adapter. And since I already have several I used on previous iPhones, it’s a done deal.

I, too, willing begrudgingly buy one eventually. But not from Apple, I’m not gonna let them rip me off one more time.
[doublepost=1509977297][/doublepost]
Password works 100% of the time, therefore TouchID was a massive fail and a step back.

MacRumours logic.

They didn’t take away password when they introduced Touch ID did they? Is the difference really that challenging to understand?

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I mentioned in the battery thread (that I need to update ...), that I experience a shutdown of FID at some point during my final 1%. It was immediate, since I was watching the last few points very carefully, and continuously unlocking - but at some point it just started displaying the passcode screen to unlock (while at 1%).

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
I mentioned in the battery thread (that I need to update ...), that I experience a shutdown of FID at some point during my final 1%. It was immediate, since I was watching the last few points very carefully, and continuously unlocking - but at some point it just started displaying the passcode screen to unlock (while at 1%).
so when nearing 1% battery life the phone may not use Face ID. Wow in ten years of using iPhones I may have approached 1% accidentally a couple of times. Pardon me if I find this information less than of any use what so ever.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
so when nearing 1% battery life the phone may not use Face ID. Wow in ten years of using iPhones I may have approached 1% accidentally a couple of times. Pardon me if I find this information less than of any use what so ever.

That's the context of this thread, i.e., is there some battery threshold where FID doesn't work. I'm a developer, engineer, so I found this reasonably interesting. I'm not sure why you're so worked up over someone contributing a data point to the conversation. It seems like you +completely+ misread my intent.

Reactions: ryantbfh
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.