Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Has your Face ID learned your face with a mask *without registering your face with a mask*?

• Total voters

DeanL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2014
London
Hi everyone!

I am wearing the mask in the attached picture, and today, my iPhone 12 Pro started unlocking even with it on! I have not done any Face ID registration with my mask on. I wonder if this is because my mask does not cover my chin?

Since the beginning of the pandemic, I have been wearing this mask and was using an iPhone 11 Pro Max–which never learned to recognize me with a mask!

Is this happening to anyone else?

Attachments

• tempImagepbSu7w.png
    tempImagepbSu7w.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 2,168

lclev

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2013
Ohio
Nope I can't even get it to recognize me if i use a mask and run the facial recognition program. Tried it and did not work. It seems to want to see all of my "smiling" face. 🤣

tranceking26

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2013
I use a shield instead of a mask so I can't vote, but somebody on here the other week said it was now recognising them with a mask on.

bmac4

Suspended
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
Hi everyone!

I am wearing the mask in the attached picture, and today, my iPhone 12 Pro started unlocking even with it on! I have not done any Face ID registration with my mask on. I wonder if this is because my mask does not cover my chin?

Since the beginning of the pandemic, I have been wearing this mask and was using an iPhone 11 Pro Max–which never learned to recognize me with a mask!

Is this happening to anyone else?

Where did you get the mask?

swarlos

Suspended
Oct 18, 2015
Yeah this happened to me with my 11 Pro Max in May. The phone learns when you keep inputting your password while wearing your mask.

Hasn’t happened with my 12 Pro yet.

Reactions: ventmore

edhchoe

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2011
this dumb phone wants to see my nose holes.....
I am trying to train it but I got to where I can get the mask all the way up to my nostrils. But as soon as I cover the nostrils, it won't unlock...

Feisar

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2010
Where did you get the mask?

It’s an O2 Industries Curve Respirator. You can order a different colored shell, everyone jokes that the white one looks like you’re wearing a cup, LOL...

Reactions: 3rdiguy and bmac4

Brettka7

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2011
My iPhone 11 Pro recognized me with a mask as long as I wasn’t wearing glasses or sunglasses.

So far my 12 Pro hasn’t learned that trick. Hoping it does soon!

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
My xs max unlocks with my mask. But it depends on how high the mask is. If it’s lower down my nose it work especially the surgical mask my clothe mask is much thicker.

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
My iPhone XS Max started to do it about 2 or 3 months ago. I did not do anything special. It even works with different masks in different colours or patters. What I noticed however is that "only" unlocking the iPhone works. It does not work to unlock apps like WhatsApp that use FaceID for authentication. Very strange that it works on the iPhone unlock screen but not anywhere else.

It also does not work in combination with a hat for me.

bmac4

Suspended
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
It’s an O2 Industries Curve Respirator. You can order a different colored shell, everyone jokes that the white one looks like you’re wearing a cup, LOL...

Hahaha it does look like a cup. That’s funny.

Reactions: Givmeabrek

bbates123

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2010
I didn't realize that just lowing the mask so your nostrils show does the trick so thank you for that helpful tip!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.