Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
Ugh...you guys are killing me. I need to start a new game like I need a hole in the head (let alone a MMRPG), but you've got me thinking I need to give 76 a try. Sorry maflynn!

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
how is it as a solo game though? ive got it but didnt play much. now enjoying a wander through fallout 4 for probably the 4th or 5th time, unusual for me.

if i played fallout 76 solely as a solo player, wanting something like fallout 3 or 4 from it, what would i think?
Opinion: F4 is a wonderful solo game. Caveat: You don’t get lonely playing solo games as compared to multi-player. Some of this has to do with how immersed you get in your games. And even with limited dialog options with your companions, they will ask you for helping them with a personal issue, and they're there with you in fights. They gain affinity for you or you can piss them off based on the individual, who you help, and who you kill. They have different standards. As I recall Piper likes Synths and when you help them, Cait no so much. Cait is better for Nuka World when you ally (temporarily or permanently with raiders) and Piper is not. Paladin Danse does not like synths or gouls, even the non-feral ones. Romanceable companions will simplistically grow to love you, by virtue of your company and sharing experiences and you’ll get a buff for sleeping with them, and at least one will offer a saucy comment when you arise in the morning.

I can’t say regarding the latter, I played F76 and distinctly did not like the theme park atmosphere. New Vegas and F3 are older games. I played 3 when it first came out and did not finish it. Later I fell in love with Oblivion, Skyrim, and F4. I was impressed by Starfield initially, but ended up disappointed with it. 🤔

@madeirabhoy, I edited this post.

Last edited:
Reactions: madeirabhoy

nk201

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2024
There is a lot of content to play. I’d say I play maybe 90% solo.

There’s plenty of quests and exploration to do.

The content where you would suggest requires a “team” is small. But when I’ve not been playing with friends you don’t need any voice comms for them, or find discord servers. I’ve always just jumped on a public team and done it.

It’s very friendly for solo players.
I totally agree. I actually think the majority of players play it solo

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
For those considering it, just remember in the solo environment of a F4 or F3, you have more control over the environment, the grind, and there are no tourists, it’s your world. 😄
What do you mean by having more control over the environment?

Have you played the game recently? Its markedly different then when you first stated you quit playing because of the grind. I'm not saying there is no grind, but the game is very different today then 3 years ago.

how is it as a solo game though? ive got it but didnt play much. now enjoying a wander through fallout 4 for probably the 4th or 5th time, unusual for me.
There's two aspects of the solo play.

Firstly, in the public world where you are along side other players. You can do the various quests all by your lonesome problem free. You can join in on some events. There are normal events, that occur in game and timed events, through out the year, each one very different. These can be very fun in the open world with other players. You don't need to be on a team or anything just playing cooperatively. Scorched earth is a regular event triggered when someone launches a Nuke at the Scorched Beast Queen. Its a blast have 6, 8 10 people try to take the SBQ down, and you get some nice loot.

Second aspect - playing solo in a private world. This is only available as a Fallout First subscriber. You get your very own world, and this is closest to a fallout 4 experience. Its great for looting, as no one else is around to take loot, you get to do anything your want w/o running into anyone. Doing events solo is very hard, some are down right impossible, though some high level players try to challenge themselves to solo some of the harder events.

A final thought on the subscription, by paying for the sub,
  • You get a monthly allotment of atoms, which is nice - no need to spend real money in the atom shop.
  • You get extra rewards in the Season pass.
  • You get the private world as I mentioned.
  • You get a "survival tent" A secondary camp that you can plop down anywhere as a bed, storage, and is a free fast travel (fast travel in the game costs caps)
  • Finally you also get unlimited scrap and ammo storage - this is HUGE. We are limited to 1200 units of storage and that is easily eaten up with weapons, armor, and junk. You need junk for crafting, and its so easy to be near the limit yet have almost no junk to craft. This is the primary reason many of us subscribe

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
What do you mean by having more control over the environment?

Have you played the game recently? Its markedly different then when you first stated you quit playing because of the grind. I'm not saying there is no grind, but the game is very different today then 3 years ago.

There's two aspects of the solo play.

Firstly, in the public world where you are along side other players. You can do the various quests all by your lonesome problem free. You can join in on some events. There are normal events, that occur in game and timed events, through out the year, each one very different. These can be very fun in the open world with other players. You don't need to be on a team or anything just playing cooperatively. Scorched earth is a regular event triggered when someone launches a Nuke at the Scorched Beast Queen. Its a blast have 6, 8 10 people try to take the SBQ down, and you get some nice loot.

Second aspect - playing solo in a private world. This is only available as a Fallout First subscriber. You get your very own world, and this is closest to a fallout 4 experience. Its great for looting, as no one else is around to take loot, you get to do anything your want w/o running into anyone. Doing events solo is very hard, some are down right impossible, though some high level players try to challenge themselves to solo some of the harder events.

A final thought on the subscription, by paying for the sub,
  • You get a monthly allotment of atoms, which is nice - no need to spend real money in the atom shop.
  • You get extra rewards in the Season pass.
  • You get the private world as I mentioned.
  • You get a "survival tent" A secondary camp that you can plop down anywhere as a bed, storage, and is a free fast travel (fast travel in the game costs caps)
  • Finally you also get unlimited scrap and ammo storage - this is HUGE. We are limited to 1200 units of storage and that is easily eaten up with weapons, armor, and junk. You need junk for crafting, and it’s so easy to be near the limit yet have almost no junk to craft. This is the primary reason many of us subscribe
It’s been years since I played 76. How much does a Fallout First subscription cost? Recently F4 was on sale for $10, a hands down deal for anyone who has not yet played in this world. :D I do realize I am arguing playing an old game vs a new game that is being updated.

But after decades of playing a variety of online games, that are decidedly perishable as long as you don’t mind constantly paying, I’ve decided I prefer a world not full of tourists visiting the theme park. After rescuing Nick Valentine, and emerging from Park Street Station, there is not another group of players waiting to go in, which easily could be mitigated to some degree with instances. I admit this is very much an individual perspective knowing this is my world, not a server with 100s of players.

More control of the environment to me means you have more control over how much grind you want to endure. And the solo game although it has an end, is less perishable than an online server, and it is truly my world. As I recall, besides being online, the number one aspect of F76 that pissed me off was having a tiny base, frequently being shuffled around to a new location when I logged in, and hurry don’t miss the daily events announced over a loud speaker. 🙃😉

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
One of the rewards for playing the season is the cremator weapon. You get the weapon fairly early on in the season ranking and then various mods become available as you progress.

Its probably one of the most powerful weapons in the game, Bethesda already nerfed it recently, but its still insanely powerful. Except for bosses, you basically can one-shot every enemy. I and another player took down a SBQ in mere minutes using this weapon.

Its been really fun doing events with the cremator. Angry Turtle, one of the more popular FO76 youtuber provides some great info here. its version 2 because of the nerf.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
One of the rewards for playing the season is the cremator weapon. You get the weapon fairly early on in the season ranking and then various mods become available as you progress.

Its probably one of the most powerful weapons in the game, Bethesda already nerfed it recently, but its still insanely powerful. Except for bosses, you basically can one-shot every enemy. I and another player took down a SBQ in mere minutes using this weapon.

Its been really fun doing events with the cremator. Angry Turtle, one of the more popular FO76 youtuber provides some great info here. its version 2 because of the nerf.
Does the barrel rotate?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Does the barrel rotate?
No, it fires 4 shots at once, its really great in mobs - take out a gaggle of enemies. i found the weapon to be great during the Eviction Notice event. I also carry a single barrel cremator, which is good for single enemies like the SBQ

Reactions: Huntn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.