Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
Since recently updating to High Sierra from using Sierra for many years... Every time I'm on the MBP, fans are on almost ALL the time. Whatever browser, and even when doing nothing. The 'renderers' with most browsers I know are always a pain, but on Sierra, it wasn't working overtime when on a page doing nothing, it usually did the business when film or video was being watched. Why after months is it still indexing or whatever it is that this is doing? I know my laptop is 2011, but it didn't do this half as much with 'Sierra' only on HS. Driving me mad now. Any idea if this is indexing, or anything else? Thanks

Screen Shot 2024-03-27 at 01.19.00.png

Grumpus

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2021
Those md* processes are associated with Spotlight indexing. They can definitely make the fans run, especially after an OS install. The good news is, things should eventually settle down until the next time you change a large number of files. Having an ssd helps. Some info here.

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
Those md* processes are associated with Spotlight indexing. They can definitely make the fans run, especially after an OS install. The good news is, things should eventually settle down until the next time you change a large number of files. Having an ssd helps. Some info here.
Thanks, It's been an SSD for many years. I moved to HS couple of months ago, how long do you think it takes to stop doing it?

Grumpus

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2021
I've never timed it, but on my slow 2019 MBA it takes several hours after an OS upgrade for things to quieten down. I don't think it should take a couple of months! If you're doing anything which causes large numbers of files to be written, that can trigger indexing. You can control what areas are indexed in Spotlight Settings, and in the Privacy section you can add folders that are off-limits to indexing. The indexing processes should run at a lower priority and shouldn't get in your way, aside from the fans running. Spotlight can be turned off altogether if you're desperate. Searching on MR or via Google will probably turn up how to do that.

Reactions: Peter Franks

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
I've never timed it, but on my slow 2019 MBA it takes several hours after an OS upgrade for things to quieten down. I don't think it should take a couple of months! If you're doing anything which causes large numbers of files to be written, that can trigger indexing. You can control what areas are indexed in Spotlight Settings, and in the Privacy section you can add folders that are off-limits to indexing. The indexing processes should run at a lower priority and shouldn't get in your way, aside from the fans running. Spotlight can be turned off altogether if you're desperate. Searching on MR or via Google will probably turn up how to do that.
I think the renderers are also a big problem running so many. I used to think it was just Google Chrome that had several running at the same time, but get it on all of the browsers now, when doing very little. Firefox just as bad. I really don't know what causes the md processes, when I've not done much at all and it just goes mad on here. Thanks again

seanmccoye

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2021
After an HS upgrade Spotlight mauled my poor 11yo spindle drive so hard I had to disable everything related to the application.

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.