Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jgerry

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I paid the $40, I am an owner of v1 as well. I already regret the decision, because while it's nice it's not mind-blowing. I can't even accept invitations to events directly in the app (Exchange server), so I have to keep my regular Calendar.app open as well.

DanGoh

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2014
Is developing for OS X that much harder than developing for iOS?

I'd pay $20 max but not $40.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Is developing for OS X that much harder than developing for iOS?

I'd pay $20 max but not $40.

And if it was $20 there would be others complaining that they would pay $10 max but not $20.

briandesmond

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2010
Salem, MA
So I really liked the quick view of Fantastical 1 and thought I'd upgrade, since apparently this added full calendar functionality with a nice design.

Apparently I was wrong. There's no way to see busy/free times!

So, if I use this new "calendar app I won't be able to live without" to schedule a meeting, and it use it's "natural language to create complex repeating events and set alerts", it will just book a meeting right on top of busy times for the person I'm scheduling a meeting with and myself. How embarrassing is that when you use it to book a meeting with your colleague or boss?

Can someone explain how this app is even useful without the basic ability to schedule meetings with real life humans who might be busy?

Last edited:

Fortimir

macrumors 6502a
Sep 5, 2007
Indianapolis, IN
I have to thank MacRumors and Flexibits as I won the bundle giveaway. I have the original Fantastical but I absolutely positively was not going to pay $50-65 for the new bundle.

It's really a shame such a great app has to be priced out of general reason. Worst-case, the practical market value is maybe $35 for the all three... or at least as upgrade for existing customers. It's also kind of crazy that there is a separate iPhone and iPad app that have their own pricing.

NavySEAL6

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2006
Ok so it's about $50 to buy into the ecosystem. Very pricey, can anyone here actually justify the price?

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
Ok so it's about $50 to buy into the ecosystem. Very pricey, can anyone here actually justify the price?

I can justify the price because it is an app that I actually do use on my iPad, iPad mini, iPhone and Mac. If you are not going to use it then the cost is not justifiable for any app whether it's $50 or $0.99, even free for that matter. I don't mind paying for software that is:
a- well written
b- has a good user interface
c- useful
d- stable
e- Usable cross platform (mac and iOS)

Fantastical 2 is all of those. Some of my most used software is software that I paid higher prices for and I use them because they have the 5 qualities I listed. I used BusyCal and then BusyCal 2, which was also $50 and had to pay to upgrade it at $40 or so. OmniFocus and OmniFocus 2, which when I bought that was $90 just for the Mac version and then $40 and $20 for the iPad and iPhone version, when those upgraded to version 2 it was and additional, $40, $20 and $10 respectively. If enjoy using the software, I use it everyday, when I need tech support they are there to answer questions. This is what you pay the bigger bucks for. I support these developers.

So when you ask whether or not the price is justifiable, ask yourself whether you need the program and whether or not you will actually use the program. If you can answer yes to those then yes it is justifiable. If you are still not sure download the free 14 day trial and use it for 14 days and then if you think it is justifiable, then buy it.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden

I find the Mac app underwhelming, even after its v2 update, and I had to think a while before I paid for the Mac upgrade. In response to the question above, however, I think that the Fantastical "ecosystem" is worthwhile overall. The iPad and iPhone apps work very well for/with me.

Daysight

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2011
Well, count me among the happy. Added F2 Mac to F2 on my iPad and iPhone after trying other expensive calendar apps. Much prefer F2. Common look and feel, very easy to find and enter appointments and todos, great syncing. Nicely done.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.