Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Fantastical, an OS X natural language calendar assistant, has been updated to version 1.3 today. The new version includes support for iCal and iOS reminders.

Screen-Shot-2012-05-30-at-4.43.47-PM.png

MacStories describes the new feature:
Fantastical can create, edit, and delete reminders with natural language recognition. In testing the app, I told Fantastical to "remind me to take out the trash", and the app intelligently parsed the command as just "take out the trash", interpreting the initial portion of the sentence as a reminder input.
The utility can then sync reminders across iCloud and iOS devices. Fantastical is available as a free trial download from the developer's site, or directly from the Mac App Store for $19.99. [Direct Link]

Flexibits is also the company that we've hired to develop a MacRumors iOS app which is currently in the works.

Article Link: 'Fantastical' Adds iCal and iOS Reminders to Version 1.3

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
Awesome this is great! This was one of the things stopping me from getting fantastical. But the price seems too high. Is it really worth it? I've heard great reviews about the app.

jsep

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2008
Carlsbad, CA
For $20 you'll probably never open iCal again. You'll also use it every day. So $20 divided by everyday equals a pretty good deal. I love it and don't regret purchasing it.

jackc

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Sweet, been waiting for this.

It is a bit pricey for this kind of app, but I do get a lot of use out of it.

kylera

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
Awesome this is great! This was one of the things stopping me from getting fantastical. But the price seems too high. Is it really worth it? I've heard great reviews about the app.

If you can wait, you can hope that it comes as an app bundle. That's how I got it, along with VMWare Fusion -- they were in the same bundle.

teknishn

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2006
Looks great, but kinda pointless if you've got Siri. Mountain Lion also adds Reminders app and iOS notification system

vjl323

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2005
Western North Carolina
Looks great, but kinda pointless if you've got Siri. Mountain Lion also adds Reminders app and iOS notification system

Once you have used the Calendar app from ML, like Lion and SL before it, you'll realize that iCal needs help. For me, I use this app together with BusyCal [which allows you to use iCloud even on 10.5 and 10.6 systems!]. I think these 2 apps are quite powerful and allow you quickly see and plan your calendar [and todo's] out very nicely.

osx11

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
"Flexibits is also the company that we've hired to develop a MacRumors iOS app which is currently in the works."

Arn, this should be a separate story. I think most people don't know about this.

coachingguy

macrumors 6502a
After upgrading to Lion, I absolutely couldn't handle Calendar anymore...:( So i got Fantastical and BusyCal in a bundle... It was Soooo worth it. I've not used or opened Calendar since. These are what Calendar should have been.

"Two thumbs up for Fantastical"

Coachingguy

miniyou64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
"Flexibits is also the company that we've hired to develop a MacRumors iOS app which is currently in the works."

Arn, this should be a separate story. I think most people don't know about this.

I'd love a MacRumors App, but is Apple going to approve an App that will consistently blow their trade secrets?

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
I'd love a MacRumors App, but is Apple going to approve an App that will consistently blow their trade secrets?

I don’t think Arn (or any of the mods) actually violate NDA’s directly - they mostly report on other sources and reports news. The worse they probably face is the occasional take down request.

Comeagain?

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2011
Spokane, WA
I don’t think Arn (or any of the mods) actually violate NDA’s directly - they mostly report on other sources and reports news. The worse they probably face is the occasional take down request.

Something all Apple rumor sites face, regardless of the existence of an iOS app.

miniyou64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
I agree, I'm not debating that. Im just not so sure Apple will see it that way. There's not much they can do about having the site exist, but allowing it in their App Store? Idk...

burne

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2007
Haarlem, the Netherlands
This is the best part of the story! I'm sure I missed the announcement, but I'm ecstatic to see a MR app is in the works.

Actually I'm starting to HATE this. Not because it's MacRumors, but a lot of sites are doing this, and why should I want 30-40 site-specific apps on my iPad to view information which is perfectly readable via the web? Some sites even have a banner advertising their app with either a fixed timeout (which means staring at it for 30 seconds) or with a tiny close-button in the top-right corner. Try it, in a moving train.. It's an annoying trend.

I'd rather have a css for the device I'm using.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.