Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

foodog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2006
Atlanta, GA
If you can wait, you can hope that it comes as an app bundle. That's how I got it, along with VMWare Fusion -- they were in the same bundle.

same here but I've never spent any time to try it out. Guess I need to take a look at it now

jackc

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Actually I'm starting to HATE this. Not because it's MacRumors, but a lot of sites are doing this, and why should I want 30-40 site-specific apps on my iPad to view information which is perfectly readable via the web? Some sites even have a banner advertising their app with either a fixed timeout (which means staring at it for 30 seconds) or with a tiny close-button in the top-right corner. Try it, in a moving train.. It's an annoying trend.

I'd rather have a css for the device I'm using.

Agreed. Hate.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
Actually I'm starting to HATE this. Not because it's MacRumors, but a lot of sites are doing this, and why should I want 30-40 site-specific apps on my iPad to view information which is perfectly readable via the web? Some sites even have a banner advertising their app with either a fixed timeout (which means staring at it for 30 seconds) or with a tiny close-button in the top-right corner. Try it, in a moving train.. It's an annoying trend.

I'd rather have a css for the device I'm using.

Agreed. Hate.

Hate? Jeez. If you don't want the app, don't get the app.

jackc

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Hate? Jeez. If you don't want the app, don't get the app.

Good tip. But I will still hate it. I will probably put a picture of the icon on my wall, then smash it with a sledgehammer. Then log in to the web site.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
For $20 you'll probably never open iCal again. You'll also use it every day. So $20 divided by everyday equals a pretty good deal. I love it and don't regret purchasing it.

I think $20 is still a lot of money for what amounts to essentially a menu bar applet. But the app is very useful and very well designed. I use it every day.

It is also worth noting that the developer is working on iOS version of Fantastical.

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
I use GeekTool and have all iCal stuff on my desktop. True, doesn't help me add items to iCal, but then I don't have to remember to click anything to see my day's schedule.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I use GeekTool and have all iCal stuff on my desktop. True, doesn't help me add items to iCal, but then I don't have to remember to click anything to see my day's schedule.

I have Fantastical bound to the F6 key and have gotten used to it. Quick tap of F6 and tasks and events are all there. The natural text event/task creation is pretty slick also.

They have a free trial if you want to try it out.

reubs

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2006
I've been using Today, which is almost completely abandon-ware at this point. You can't edit events from app, and that's a real pain. I've passed on Fantastical in the past when it's been in a bundle, but I'll be on the lookout for it soon.

The one thing I wish it did (and I'm not sure it does it yet) is stay pinned to the desktop instead of the menubar so that I can see my events for the day.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
The one thing I wish it did (and I'm not sure it does it yet) is stay pinned to the desktop instead of the menubar so that I can see my events for the day.

It can be pinned open. Click the little anchor at the lower left in my screen cap and the window will stay open as shown.

20120605-3c8gp7tba28ndc4kr4htqfdbt.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.