Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Fantastical, one of the most popular third-party calendar apps for iOS, has seen both iPhone and iPad versions updated today with a number of new iOS 8-specific features including a Notification Center "Today" widget that offers a quick glance at upcoming appointments and to-dos.

Also included are a custom app extension that allows users to create events and reminders from any app that properly support share sheets and interactive notifications for tasks such as snoozing event reminders or completing tasks. With the arrival of the new features, Fantastical is now an iOS 8-only app.

fantastical_ipad_today_widget.jpg
Fantastical 2.2 for iPad's "Today" widget
Fantastical has been a popular option for users due to its clean design and natural language engine that allows users to create appointments and to-dos by simply entering phrases or sentences that are automatically converted into event format. Originally a Mac app, Fantastical launched for iPhone in late 2012 and expanded to iPad earlier this year.

Alongside the new update to Fantastical, both the iPhone and iPad versions are on sale with $2 discounts for a limited time. The iPhone version [Direct Link] is currently priced at $2.99 while the iPad version [Direct Link] is $7.99.

Article Link: Fantastical for iPhone and iPad Go iOS 8-Only With Widgets, Extensions, and More

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011
Might be missing something, how to I get this to show up on my phone? I have Fantastical but no update today and nothing on the notification center.

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK
Might be missing something, how to I get this to show up on my phone? I have Fantastical but no update today and nothing on the notification center.

It won't rollout on the App Store worldwide at exactly the same time you'll just need to keep checking for app updates and eventually it will appear.

infiniteentropy

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2009
My wife has been using this for years, but was never compelling enough for me to get. That just changed. For $2.99 I got it immediately. So handy! :)

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
On my side, I'm waiting patiently for Sunrise to release a widget.

This this this. I tweeted them but never heard back. They are a little slow to do updates but I find Sunrise to be the best calendar app. I've tried other calendar widgets and they all kind of suck :(

I do have Fantastical on my MBP though and I love it.

UPDATE: If your iPhone is a registered dev phone, you can use the Sunrise Beta which has a widget

Last edited:

MacTCE

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2013
Raleigh NC
I didn't see any mention if this is a free update.

Nm, it wasn't showing up as an update in iTunes, but when searching for it allowed me to update.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
After purchasing more than my share of calendar apps in search of the perfect one, I considered Fantastical, but ultimately went with Calendars 5, which I love. Their week view is exactly what I need.

I know they did update for iOS8 and had a widget, but I reverted to 7.1.2, so I can't comment on how great their widget is.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Still no support for "Travel Time"?

The iPhone calendar got this, when, iOS 8.0?

IMO, that's a huge miss, especially for an iOS 8.x-only app.

anshuvorty

macrumors 68040
Sep 1, 2010
California, USA
Google Calendar sync isn't working for me as of iOS 8 and now iOS 8.1. Anyone else have this issue with their Google Calendar not syncing with Fantastiscal 2?

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011
Google Calendar sync isn't working for me as of iOS 8 and now iOS 8.1. Anyone else have this issue with their Google Calendar not syncing with Fantastiscal 2?

Pretty sure I had that issue at first and had to go through setting everything up all over again. May want to try that if you haven't already.

Last edited:

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Installing just for the widget. I've become a widget monster: Gotta catch 'em all!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
On my side, I'm waiting patiently for Sunrise to release a widget.
Been waiting on that one as well.
This this this. I tweeted them but never heard back. They are a little slow to do updates but I find Sunrise to be the best calendar app. I've tried other calendar widgets and they all kind of suck :(

I do have Fantastical on my MBP though and I love it.

UPDATE: If your iPhone is a registered dev phone, you can use the Sunrise Beta which has a widget
Yeah, seems like they are working on adding a widget, but (based on their tweets/replies so far) it doesn't seem like it will be in this next version that they have in beta.

----------

Installing just for the widget. I've become a widget monster: Gotta catch 'em all!
I'm sort of trending that way too...but starting to wonder if all them are starting to affect my battery life and/or data usage and/or overall performance more than I thought they might.

geoffm33

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2010
This is the one app update I've been waiting for. I can now remove Today and Reminders from the lock screen. It's brilliant.

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011
Does this work with Google calendar?

Yep. I add events to my Google Calendar online and they show up in my Fantastical calendar on my phone. Works great. Also incorporates Google Tasks if you use that.

----------

There may also be a problem with the app specific password if you have two-step authentication enabled. You may want to try generating a new password.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.