Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
Just comment on the above. Again, it’s up to the owner to concern or not concern with the battery. I am not expert, I just follow what the articles suggested. Just saying, my iPad M1 bought in Jan this year, still has 105% battery health. My 2014 MBP is also at 81% health last year (before I gave it to my daughter).

I have a 2015 MacBook Pro which I left plugged in 99% of the time and it's at 87% battery health. (Just checked because I'm trying to sell it on Craigslist...)

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I was happy the other day when my new MBP limited itself to 80% charge, and the immediately unhappy later in the day when I took it off the charger for ~10 minutes and now it has gone back to charging to 100%.

IMO the software should understand that if you only use the laptop on battery power for a few minutes once in a while, it still only needs to charge to 80%.

I'll investigate programs that limit charging later today. I tried AlDente last week but was annoyed that it has an always-present icon in the menu bar.

To be clear, charging to 100% isn't murdering anybody's battery. It's simply not optimal. There are many things that are much worse for a battery.
Agree! I wish there was a preference at least so you could give the OS a general idea of what kind of use case to expect.

Reactions: motrek

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
Agree! I wish there was a preference at least so you could give the OS a general idea of what kind of use case to expect.

Yeah. Apple obviously thinks it's better to store the battery at 80% instead of 100% or they wouldn't have made the "optimized charging" feature, but then they don't give you a way to do this manually? Ugh.

I ended up buying AlDente Pro. You have to pay for the Pro version if you want to use the 'discharge' feature while a laptop is in clamshell mode. The software has a lot of features that I don't care about and don't want to use (I basically just want to limit how much the battery charges) but it seems like it gets the job done well enough.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.