Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andjew94

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2013
Upstate, NY
Pure speculation of course but what do you guys think about the future of S1/S2 as far as what will be kept as the “entry level” watch? Currently the S1 resides in a great price bracket but will Apple kill it and drop the price of S2 to match, or will it kill S2 and keep S1 as it is or possibly drop the price?

I think they’ll kill S2 and drop S1 to $199. I can’t imagine they’ll keep all three in the lineup.

I’m in the market for two watches this year so it has been on my mind for a while.

KrisLord

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2008
Northumberland, UK
Other than LTE we’ve not really heard much about the new watch features.

The LTE rumour suggests there’ll be a non - LTE model and so to keep that model sufficiently far in spec from the S1/S2 I think the S2 will be dropped.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Pure speculation of course but what do you guys think about the future of S1/S2 as far as what will be kept as the “entry level” watch? Currently the S1 resides in a great price bracket but will Apple kill it and drop the price of S2 to match, or will it kill S2 and keep S1 as it is or possibly drop the price?

I think they’ll kill S2 and drop S1 to $199. I can’t imagine they’ll keep all three in the lineup.

I’m in the market for two watches this year so it has been on my mind for a while.

I believe Series 1 will be retained in the line up at a cheaper price point and the new Series 2 might replace the current Series 2 in the linenup.

verdejt

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2011
Central Florida
I believe Series 1 will be retained in the line up at a cheaper price point and the new Series 2 might replace the current Series 2 in the linenup.
I would think they would keep the series 2 and drop the rest because of its updated fitness features and the waterproofing. In the market Apple is aiming for waterproof is a must. Plus with the upgraded processing power and added gps of the series 2 it has it over the Series 1.

Reactions: Breezygirl

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I would think they would keep the series 2 and drop the rest because of its updated fitness features and the waterproofing. In the market Apple is aiming for waterproof is a must. Plus with the upgraded processing power and added gps of the series 2 it has it over the Series 1.

It's difficult to say. But you make some good points. And the water resistance is true as well for continued improvement.

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014

That's my prediction as well.
Series 1 will continue to be the cheaper option for people who don't care about GPS and water resistance.
Series 3 will have LTE, and they may have a cellular version and a wi-fi only model. If that's the case I don't see a reason to keep selling series 2, if all their new model will have LTE maybe they'll keep series 2 as a cheaper option for people interested in GPS

verdejt

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2011
Central Florida
Personally the reason I waited so long to get a Apple Watch was for the built in gps and water resistance. Without those you have a very expensive Fitbit. Like I said I see series 1 being dropped and a slight price cut for series 2 with the series 3 about 150 to 200 dollars more.

Reactions: Breezygirl

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Personally I think they will drop the series 1 and keep series 2 at a cheaper price. I was hoping they would update the Ceramic Edition watch for series 3, it may end up being a new Edition of new materials.

squirrrl

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2013
San Diego, CA
I would prefer that they keep the Series 2 as the cheaper option for the waterproofing and the screen brightness...

I don't need LTE and I think the Series 2 is fast enough for the near future.... I haven't read about any must have new features for this series 3. If they discontinue the Series 2, I hope I can get a good deal on the inventory at B&H.

Stlcheer

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2010
Saint Louis, MO
I think that they'll drop the Series 1 and keep the Series 2. I'm waiting to see what the Series 3 will bring to decide what to buy.

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
''I waited so long to get a Apple Watch was for the built in gps and water resistance. Without those you have a very expensive Fitbit.''
really? Does fitbit do wireless audio, timers, email, phone, vm, text, stocks, weather, alerts? I thought fitbit was just for activities and exercise.. I don't care about gps and unless you swim, water resistance is just marketing. all the watches are water resistant.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
If Apple pushed series 1 into $199 price point, AW marketshare will explode as now it can become an "on impulse" gadget purchase. Heck, I would get one just for backup of my S2.
If Apple keeps the theme into health/activities, dropping the S1 makes more sense as having all AW lineup to be waterproof and GPS-equipped will be much better for the brand.

Reactions: andjew94

- rob -

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2012
Oakland, CA
I'm surprised to read S1 is not considered water resistant. I've had mine since day 1 and used it in all manner of water activities and showers and never had a problem.

Reactions: NeuralControl

verdejt

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2011
Central Florida
''I waited so long to get a Apple Watch was for the built in gps and water resistance. Without those you have a very expensive Fitbit.''
really? Does fitbit do wireless audio, timers, email, phone, vm, text, stocks, weather, alerts? I thought fitbit was just for activities and exercise.. I don't care about gps and unless you swim, water resistance is just marketing. all the watches are water resistant.
The Fitbit Blaze does phone,text,email,timers and music control.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I'm surprised to read S1 is not considered water resistant. I've had mine since day 1 and used it in all manner of water activities and showers and never had a problem.

Incorrect. Series 1 is water resistant. It's rated at IPX7.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205000

Apple Watch Series 1 and Apple Watch (1st generation) have a water resistance rating of IPX7 under IEC standard 60529. Apple Watch Series 2 has a water resistance rating of 50 meters under ISO standard 22810:2010.

Reactions: AppleKarma

verdejt

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2011
Central Florida
Incorrect. Series 1 is water resistant. It's rated at IPX7.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205000

Apple Watch Series 1 and Apple Watch (1st generation) have a water resistance rating of IPX7 under IEC standard 60529. Apple Watch Series 2 has a water resistance rating of 50 meters under ISO standard 22810:2010.
For me water resistance has to be more than the IPX7 standard. I need something that will do at least 10 meters as I am pretty active.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
For me water resistance has to be more than the IPX7 standard. I need something that will do at least 10 meters as I am pretty active.

If you were not aware, The Series 2 Apple Watch is rated at 50 meters water resistance.

squirrrl

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2013
San Diego, CA
So now we know.. Series 3 replaced Series 2.. Series 1 still around.

Has anyone seen price cuts yet on the remaining Series 2? If it goes low, I'd love to get my hands on one. I've checked B&H and best buy already... no go.

Or I'll wait until black friday and hope for a good deal on an S3 then.

Reactions: andjew94

Gib

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2010
So now we know.. Series 3 replaced Series 2.. Series 1 still around.

Has anyone seen price cuts yet on the remaining Series 2? If it goes low, I'd love to get my hands on one. I've checked B&H and best buy already... no go.

Or I'll wait until black friday and hope for a good deal on an S3 then.

The wife and I were looking for a couple S1 or S2 watches on clearance for around $200. There were some deals around that price a month or so ago through Target, but we didn't put the trigger. Even if retailers clearance the S2, it won't be lower than the S1 which won't be less than the new cost at $249 until holiday sales. Too late...

andjew94

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2013
Upstate, NY
If anyone finds sales on S2, please share!

I’m very happy with how they did things but S1 isn’t discounted enough. Needed to be closer to $199 for that psychological price barrier.

rekhyt

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2008
Part of the old MR guard.

Probably relegated to the position of the iPhone SE.

There'll always be a need for an entry-level, mass-market product.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
If anyone finds sales on S2, please share!

I’m very happy with how they did things but S1 isn’t discounted enough. Needed to be closer to $199 for that psychological price barrier.

I would look into B&H Photo. They should have sale prices coming up after the launch of the new Apple Watch Series 3.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.