Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nyc232

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2008
Greetings,

I got the phone last Friday, everything seemed fine. I was then listening to some music and the earpiece speaker wasn’t working. I reset the phone, and everything was great. A few days later the same issue - no sound from the earpiece speaker but only the bottom speaker.

I reset the phone and it now works again. It looks like it’s just a temporary fix. Is anyone else having this issue? Thank you.

Reactions: AxelFoley

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
If it’s happening that often maybe bring it into Apple to get it looked at? I only noticed it once on my X and a restart fixed it. Haven’t had any issues with my Max as of yet.

Reactions: Ntombi

wilk0076

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2006
I had this problem on my Xs Max the other day. Noticed the earpiece speaker was out. Rebooted and it's been fine. Interesting to hear that I'm not the only one.

FreshJR

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2012
Same issue. Happened twice to me in the two days I’ve had the phone.

A reboot each time got it working.

If it happens again today it’s going back.

Maybe I will also get a better screen a 2nd time around. Side note, I prefer the size and screen quality of my iPhone7. The new phone is meh.

Macnificant

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2008
I had the same issue and did a hard reset and it solved it....not happy but will see how it goes..

redshovel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2007
Just experienced this exact issue. Reboot brought earpiece speaker back to life. Hope this is a software issue - can’t be bothered having to swap phones.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
I had the same thing and did a restart and it fixed it. I don't think it could be hardware, because then a reset wouldn't have just fixed it. I think its a bug. how do we report it? Also, I only noticed, because I was watching a video on instagram and put it to my ear so I could hear it better and it sounded like it wasn't on.

redshovel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2007
Just been chatting to a RL acquaintance who experienced the problem also. Again reboot worked and it’s been ok for days.

Now this might be nothing we both went through what each of use were doing on the phone before it happened and the only stand out thing was at one stage we both used only one AirPod.

I have since tired to recreate the bug but the speaker has worked fine.

Probably nothing but another datapoint no less.

wilk0076

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2006
Now this might be nothing we both went through what each of use were doing on the phone before it happened and the only stand out thing was at one stage we both used only one AirPod.

Interesting. I, too, frequently use only one Airpod (for phone calls).

SeanLe

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2017
Australia
Hey all,

I’ve just experienced this issue also a reboot did fix it, however I hope it’s software!

Earpiece works fine on calls, and I have recently used AirPods (both) on call as well...

AxelFoley

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2015
I am experiencing the same issue. Bought my iPhone XS Max 256GB Gold on the Sunday after the launch day (Friday). I am running public beta iOS 12.1 so am not sure if it is related to that. The top (earpiece) speaker stops functioning during music or video playback during random situations. I have been unable to duplicate it manually. You are right that a reboot solves it or even a simple shut down and restart solves the issue but only temporarily.
I use the following regularly-
iOS 12.1 Public Beta
CarPlay
Facetime
Bluetooth devices
Skype for business
and various other apps
It's difficult trying to narrow things down what is ultimately causing this or is it that the speaker is defective. Not sure. The last occurrence was right after I disconnected from CarPlay. Shut the car off and disconnected my phone and the speaker was out.
Is it limited to 256GB Xs MAX? Is it the Beta 12.1? Is there an app that causes this?
I have reported the issue however I am thinking of returning this phone and getting another new phone while this one is still in the returnable window.

Axel F

Saeloe

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2016
I have had the same problem twice now on iPhone XS Max 512GB Gold. Reboot fixes it, the earpiece speaker is mute and left/right channel slider on the Accessibility doesn’t help, I can turn the iPhone on the left or right side (so the stereo channels swap to always be left on the left side) and the earpiece stays mute, no matter the orientation of the device or the slider position.

But, I tested calling during the earpiece being mute for Spotify and all other apps, and phone call works perfectly so it’s some kind of software bug that kills / crashes / hangs the earpiece digital channel from apps other than phone-app?

Not hard resetted, I migrated from iPhone 7 Plus 256GB Gold and iCloud backup to this XS Max. I have iOS 12.0 16A366 and model A2101, MT582FS/A.

Last edited:

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
Happened to me for the 2nd time last night. Didn't need to do a hard reset, just powered off and back on, and it worked again. Earpiece speaker always works for phone calls even while that same speaker doesn't work for media. Doubt this is hardware related, but very annoying nonetheless. It's beaten to death, but for $1000+, there should be ZERO issues.

Reactions: Saeloe

AxelFoley

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2015
Happened to me for the 2nd time last night. Didn't need to do a hard reset, just powered off and back on, and it worked again. Earpiece speaker always works for phone calls even while that same speaker doesn't work for media. Doubt this is hardware related, but very annoying nonetheless. It's beaten to death, but for $1000+, there should be ZERO issues.
You are absolutely right. It is beaten to death but not enough. For a $1000+ ($1249 to be exact in my case), this should be beaten to a GHOST until it is fixed. Right again, there should be ZERO issues for that kind of money.

Reactions: Saeloe and Harthag

moldy lunchbox

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2010
Sunny California
I’m also having this problem. Has anyone exchanged a phone yet for a different one at the Apple Store yet? Is that a possible solution? I’m asking because I recently moved and the closest Apple Store is now 3 hours away.

Baldilocks

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2012
Delaware, USA
I’m also having this problem. Has anyone exchanged a phone yet for a different one at the Apple Store yet? Is that a possible solution? I’m asking because I recently moved and the closest Apple Store is now 3 hours away.

Don't really think it's a hardware problem. If it were, the speaker wouldn't work on speakerphone calls.

Reactions: michael31986

Applefan4

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2013
Have the same problem. Restart fixes it but the bug always comes back after a while. Hopefully it's fixed via a software update because it's really annoying.

CDNM3

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2012
I am experiencing the same issue, submitted feedback as well. Hopeful that it will be solved in iOS 12.1 released later today.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.