Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Frank Maxwell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2015
Small question. I'm using Catalina 10.15.7 and running Final Cut Pro 10.15.7
I have many movie Library files from 2014 and above. I can open them or import them into FCP.
Is there any software available to open them.
Thank You.

R S K

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2022
Hannover, Germany
a) There is no such thing as Final Cut Pro 10.15.7

b) Any and all libraries are downward compatible, yes. Therefore any library that was created or opened with an older version can be opened with any newer version, but not the other way around.

c) I'm not actually even sure what exactly it is you're asking. You can open them, but are looking for software to open them? 🤨 Wha?

Frank Maxwell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2015
Sorry it should have been 10,5.4. Dont understand what you mean by Downward and Newer. In FCP I check the Package context and when I click unto a older file it tells me to go to APPLE store for a application to open the file.

R S K

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2022
Hannover, Germany
WHY in the world would you be fiddling around in the package? Unless of course, you want to corrupt the library and make it unusable?! You simply open the library itself! Projects can only be opened in the context of a library.

I also don't know what was unclear about

…any library that was created or opened with an older version can be opened with any newer version, but not the other way around

which is the explanation. So if you have v10.5.4 you can open any library that was made with v10.5.4 or earlier. But NOT one made in e.g. v10.6 or v10.7.

But again, from your original post I have no idea what the actual issue is, sorry.

Frank Maxwell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2015
Screenshot 2023-12-14 at 14.35.06.png

R S K

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2022
Hannover, Germany
Do you even have Final Cut Pro installed? Without it you obviously can't open them since "Detlef Narration" (and presumably most other folders in that directory) wouldn't be a folder, it'd be a library which looks like THIS
1702565011806.png

Last edited:

R S K

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2022
Hannover, Germany
Wait a second… is the disk in a Windows format? ExFAT maybe? If it is, it shouldn't be! In which case that may well have killed all suffixes (or been killed some other way)! So if these are indeed 10.1.2 libraries, as the name suggests, you might simply try adding ".fcpbundle" to the end of the folder(s) name(s), as it should be. And like magic…

R S K

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2022
Hannover, Germany
Hold on, I take it back. I'd say that entire folder is the library! So it needs to have the suffix not that folder. That's the project within the library.

Whatever it is, it's something weird. Because I don't even see an "Original Media" folder. 🤨

Last edited:

Frank Maxwell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2015
Many thanks for all the reply. At my age 76 thinks at time get a bit confusing. I do a lot of video work on FCP and understand and learned from Ripple Tutorial and YouTube.
This Library item is a video film I did 20years ago and all the mini tapes i put on external drives. The penny dropped I tried to open them from Package contend instead opening the Library. So sorry to taken you time up. But I thank you all for answering me. MERRY CHRISTMAS and NEW YEAR 2024 from ENGLAND or )Over the Pond).

R S K

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2022
Hannover, Germany
So did any of it help or not? E.g. adding the suffix? Or was it already a regular library that you were simply opening incorrectly?

Frank Maxwell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2015
Yes. I should have opened FCP and opened the Library. I did it the other way round. Looking at what that library has on my external drive before opening FCP. Back on track.

Reactions: dandeco
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.