Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mathias Denichi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
This is really the attitude that it takes in order to use the iPad effectively as a primary device.

The Microsoft method is broken. Simply cramming their OS on to every device that they produce isn't the way to go. They created the mess that was Windows 8 in order to bring together classic and touch interfaces and then they completely backtracked with their tail between their legs and put everything back into the same crummy box with Windows 10 and it still is a sub-par OS for any touch driven device. Some people may disagree, but my experience with owning a Windows tablet was horrible. The simplest things require you to contort your fingers awkwardly in order to avoid hitting other things on the screen, the onscreen keyboard is such garbage that there is no way you can use your machine without a physical one, and the library of apps designed to be used on touch screen devices barely even exists. Yes, I am obviously aware that their ploy is that you can use full desktop programs, but please refer to the beginning of this rant to see why that doesn't work out so well.

iOS is by no means perfect and we have a long way to go before I could consider chucking my Mac, but Apple is taking the right road by refusing to implement touch in OS X and instead focusing on building iOS into its own powerhouse.

Posts like this means nothing but ignorance to windows devices, or usual fear of trying something new to me.

While I agree, one has to work a bit differently for a new workflow on the iPad Pro; I do also feel some things are overly complicated for the sake of security.

Windows 10 is a great versatile platform, and they really have something going with the surface line. If anything I welcome it, because that will mean apple will actually have competition again, and will benefit us the consumers.

I don't agree that a laptop and tablet should be a separated. The tablet as we know it now is nothing but a technological bridge to the future where our main devices will have either a spacial/kinetic input or touch based UI. I think Apple will eventually have to fork iOS for iPads to properly compete at some time. THe question is when, and it cant come sooner.

Reactions: Beavix

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
...I think Apple will eventually have to fork iOS for iPads to properly compete at some time. THe question is when, and it cant come sooner.

You're funny.

IMG_0996.PNG

Reactions: sracer

rillrill

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
New York
The new MacBook Pro is a giant **** you to pro users. My conspiracy is theory is that Apple is pushing a lot of people to iPads with their pricing of these laptops. I'm curious where Apple will go with these "pro" series of iPads. The Air 2 is fine for productivity. If yr going to to use dongles, why not use an iPad?

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
The new MacBook Pro is a giant **** you to pro users. My conspiracy is theory is that Apple is pushing a lot of people to iPads with their pricing of these laptops. I'm curious where Apple will go with these "pro" series of iPads. The Air 2 is fine for productivity. If yr going to to use dongles, why not use an iPad?
That is a very odd conspiracy theory. In what scenario does an iPad replace an Macbook Pro? Sure, there are people who buy an MBP and do little more than surf the web and do Facebook. They clearly could benefit from switch to an iPad... but those who have heavy computing requirements?

I'm a big fan of iPads and the iPad Pro, but I'm fully aware of the limitations of those devices for enterprise work.

rillrill

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
New York
That is a very odd conspiracy theory. In what scenario does an iPad replace an Macbook Pro? Sure, there are people who buy an MBP and do little more than surf the web and do Facebook. They clearly could benefit from switch to an iPad... but those who have heavy computing requirements?

I'm a big fan of iPads and the iPad Pro, but I'm fully aware of the limitations of those devices for enterprise work.

Hey, I don't really think Apple is stupid enough to sabotage their mac line, but look at the macrumors buyers guide. Almost all of those computers are a don't buy. Apple and their CEO push the iPad as the solution. I don't think it is at this time, but I'm hoping they are going to release an iPad os to move the device into an even more productive machine. It just seems like Apple is moving on from MacOS. They support it. However, they seem to really only focus on mobile- which, imo, is the future.

Mathias Denichi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
Hey, I don't really think Apple is stupid enough to sabotage their mac line, but look at the macrumors buyers guide. Almost all of those computers are a don't buy. Apple and their CEO push the iPad as the solution. I don't think it is at this time, but I'm hoping they are going to release an iPad os to move the device into an even more productive machine. It just seems like Apple is moving on from MacOS. They support it. However, they seem to really only focus on mobile- which, imo, is the future.
I do think the iPad is the future of Apples computer. It would also follow the need to break away from intel so their product lines aren't stagnant. The release of the iPad pro is a segway into what Apple want to make their flagship computer, and will eventually replace the Macbook pro or merge in a sense. (not a touch based osx device)

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore

It doesn't.

But the high price of the macbook pro might dissuade some users who want a laptop but aren't interested in the Macbook. If you aren't willing to pay extra for a Macbook Pro, then it's either shop elsewhere, get an older model or consider a 12.9" ipad pro, which incidentally is about the same size and price.

I am guessing there are some people who don't really need the full capabilities of a computer to begin with. I can imagine maybe a chef who simply wants a simple computer that he can relax with and perform light productivity tasks?

vinylretina

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2015
Posts like this means nothing but ignorance to windows devices, or usual fear of trying something new to me.

While I agree, one has to work a bit differently for a new workflow on the iPad Pro; I do also feel some things are overly complicated for the sake of security.

Windows 10 is a great versatile platform, and they really have something going with the surface line. If anything I welcome it, because that will mean apple will actually have competition again, and will benefit us the consumers.

I don't agree that a laptop and tablet should be a separated. The tablet as we know it now is nothing but a technological bridge to the future where our main devices will have either a spacial/kinetic input or touch based UI. I think Apple will eventually have to fork iOS for iPads to properly compete at some time. THe question is when, and it cant come sooner.

Something new? Please explain to me how Windows 10 is anything new. Windows 8 was something new, but it was botched and then they literally went back to the exact same format that they've used for Windows since the 90's. How is that new? Please explain to me because I really want to know. Their tablet is literally just a laptop. Purchasing one is practically dependent on also purchasing the keyboard because even they know it's almost inoperable without a physical keyboard and a trackpad. Which, inarguably, is not new.

I am by no means ignorant to Windows devices; I have been using them even longer than I have been using Apple devices. I agree that they do have something going with the Surface line, but as long as they just keep shoveling the same damn broken operating system that they've been producing for decades on to it and every other device that they make, they are never going to be anything different than what has already been around. I think you, my friend, are the one who has fear of trying something new. :p

None of these things pose any sort of threat to Apple whatsoever. It doesn't matter how many devices that Microsoft churns out with Windows 10 on them, it will never be enough to make anyone at Apple run into the lab to slap touch input into OS X. It's not going to happen because it's foolish.

I will agree that we are miles away from where we want to be with the iPad, but at least Apple has created something from scratch and is progressively (though, maybe not at the pace that we wish) working towards making it into a device that all individuals can use for their computing needs.

eviljack

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2013
For me if I was to consider an iPad as a replacement for my laptop I'd ideally like the following:

-Unified file system. All apps should store documents in a single folder structure that I can manage. Also being able to access and mount network shares and USBs. Basically a Finder application.
-Ability to set default applications.
-Management of music and videos downloaded from the Internet without syncing or downloading from iTunes. Also in that same vein never needing iTunes ever again.
-Xcode/IDE that can compile and run applications.
-Better layout of the home screen. The iPad Pro has too much wasted space. Adding widgets or something to take up some space on that screen would be more useful.
-The ability to run multiple instances of the same app; ie. Word.
-Mouse + keyboard support everywhere.
-Torrent/Usenet client.
-Terminal.
-Themes and skins to personalise how bland iOS is.
-Sideloading of apps.
-Browser extensions.

That's not everything but it would come close to being a replacement of my general use laptop. I can't use my iPad for more than a few minutes without feeling claustrophobic. It's the main reason I run Arch Linux on most of my computers.

If they added USB-C to the 12" iPad Pro it might even replace my work computer if it supported multiple external screens and Ethernet. I'd kill for putty and Wireshark on top of all that too.

Last edited:

halfnhalf03

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2014
All I need is a way to use the iPad with the keyboard case without having to peck at the screen with my finger or pencil. It's a pain to move my arm up and down and I'm pretty sure this is the reason Apple won't add touch screens to MacBooks.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
For me, it's all about iWork. I need all the basic features of the desktop app—nothing fancy, just things like customize borders in Numbers, customize Master Slides in Keynote, etc. Basic, fundamental features are missing and stop me using the iPad a MacBook replacement.

The fact that these features are missing makes me think no one at apple actually uses the iWork on the iPad.

My hope, my dream, is along with iOS 11 which fixes a lot of long overdue limitations, we see an update to iWork which not only supports the new files apis, but adds in all this missing basic functionality.

I would be over the moon to see a meaningful iWork update in September 2017 which makes the apps complete.
[doublepost=1503766029][/doublepost]
...if only Affinity Designer were coming to IPP, I've not really got on with Graphic...perhaps I'll have to delve a little deeper...

It is coming. (My guess is we will see it on stage by Apple in September, but that is a wild guess.)

Anyway, here is a teaser from the Product Manger...it looks amazing...

https://mobile.twitter.com/mattp4478/status/885144323351867392

Reactions: Seed101
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.