Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MistD

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2022
Hello. I just tested 12 other mac studios. They all have that annoying sound.
I was about to pack and send my second unit back, hoping for a quiet third one. I think I might just keep it after I read what you wrote ... :(

It's pretty wild ... I had 2 "whiny" ones, if you tested TWELVE (+ yours Ultra) .... that's pretty much clear for me ☹️

Fenderborn

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2022
I was about to pack and send my second unit back, hoping for a quiet third one. I think I might just keep it after I read what you wrote ... :(

It's pretty wild ... I had 2 "whiny" ones, if you tested TWELVE (+ yours Ultra) .... that's pretty much clear for me ☹️
And i am already at my second unit of an ultra!

Peter_M

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2018
Reading about people here sending back multiple, even many, units of some of the most expensive high-end configurations of the Mac Studio - working within the manufacturing parameters, makes me think it's not that strange Apple wants to increase their margins. I can't help but feel this is taking advantage of Apple's very customer-friendly return policy. Nothing lasts if you take it for granted.

I'm all for having a strong return policy, and Apple has some blame here for overlooking such a basic engineering issue, like avoiding frequency spikes/resonances in their fan cooling design. Still, people going overboard with returns of very expensive computers, doesn't sit right with me.

Last edited:

Fenderborn

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2022
Not to be "that guy", but reading about people here sending back multiple, even many, units of some of the most expensive high-end configurations of the Mac Studio, makes me think it's not that strange Apple wants to increase their margins with raising their prices. I can't help but feel this is taking a bit advantage of an Apple's very customer-friendly return option.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for having a strong return policy in place, and Apple have partly themselves to blame for overlooking such a basic issue like avoiding frequency spikes/resonances in their fan cooling design. Still, reading about people really going over board with returning many units of very expensive computers doesn't sit right with me.
I know what you mean. But i can say, about myself, i am not somebody who returns equipment for every small “fault”. But then again, i am a pro user. My clients return to me when my work is not as advertised. Apple advertised this as a “studio” machine. I put these units next to my monitor on my desk….i go all crazy about that noise. If it would be a 1000€ i might say….forget it, i but a new one anyways in 2 years. This machine should last me at leat 4 years.

Reactions: MistD

Strider64

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2015
Suburb of Detroit
I been lucky my mac studio max is quiet, but the other day I heard this whining noise and thought to myself "Oh oh, it's starting to make noise". Then I noticed it was coming from outside as about a 1/2 mile away they dredging a lake because of reclamation project they are doing. 😂

• Haha
Reactions: gusping

DirkSchreib

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2021
I returned my first Mac Studio and the second one was better initially. The whine returned after a while but I found a solution to stop the fans (or set a speed as low as ~512 rpm). See other thread for instructions.

Fenderborn

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2022
I returned my first Mac Studio and the second one was better initially. The whine returned after a while but I found a solution to stop the fans (or set a speed as low as ~512 rpm). See other thread for instructions.
I am not sure if anything below 1100rpm is healthy.

Stairway

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2010
I was planning on buying an Ultra unit, but all of these noise complaints have me reconsidering :( Might be better to wait until the next hardware release to see if the noise problem has been fixed.

Reactions: Fenderborn

Fenderborn

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2022
I have listened to the recordings of the whines and I can hear what the posters are complaining about. It’s at a very low level, but nonetheless audible, so I understand their concern. My Studio does not make this noise, so it does seem like the problem is limited to just some computers.
I tested, recorded, more then 12 mac studis. 2 ultras and the rest max. They all make the noise. Only some small variants. You sure your is “silent”?

Reactions: Peter_M and MistD

DirkSchreib

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2021
I am not sure if anything below 1100rpm is healthy.
During „normal“ use the CPU will reach 45°C, the two used Thunderbolt-Ports 65°C (with Studio Displays connected).
This is after a few hours without fans. (Set both fans to 0 rpm)

Fenderborn

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2022
During „normal“ use the CPU will reach 45°C, the two used Thunderbolt-Ports 65°C (with Studio Displays connected).
This is after a few hours without fans. (Set both fans to 0 rpm)
I did some teste with 1100. It never when really hot. But, i have now TG Pro3 installed and i programmed 3 different temp treshholds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.