Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shemp49

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2024
Hello,

I'm trying to import a 25 second video clip. I place it on the time line, it will play audio but no image. It is an mp4 format. Not sure if I need to change the format. Not sure how to do that if so.

Thanks for any help.

Todd

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
some more information might facilitate help: what video codec does the mp4 use (you can see that information e.g. when you select the video in the list view of FC and choose „codec“; or via the info- window in the Finder? While we’re at it: What’s the source of the video? which version of FC and macOS do you use?

Generally you can use e.g. Handbrake to convert videos from one codec to another.

Shemp49

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2024
Actually it is a quick time movie. 7.7 mb. And I'm still using Final Cut Express

Attachments

• Resized_20240113_230121(1).jpeg
    Resized_20240113_230121(1).jpeg
    499.3 KB · Views: 40
  • Resized_20240113_233736.jpeg
    Resized_20240113_233736.jpeg
    551 KB · Views: 40

lin2log

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2011
I'm still using Final Cut Express

Wha?? Even iMovie would be better than that archaic dinosaur. Are you still on a G4 or something?? 🙄
iMovie would also be able to play the clip because it's an HEVC file that hadn't even been INVENTED yet when FCE was alive.
Transcode or maybe just switch to an NLE of this millennia?!

Shemp49

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2024
I knew I would get a response referencing my choice to stay in the Stone Age. I'll get off my Dinosaur and into an EV one of these days 🤣. But for now I need to finish this project. I'm not a professional videographer or a master editor by any means. I put together slide shows for friends, family and acquaintances for free. FCE works great. Occasionally I run into a hiccup. This project will be played at a funeral for my son-in-laws brother. He passed away at the age of 25 years old.

Anyway I appreciate the help.

Thanks!

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Maybe the person who gave you the clip can export it in another format for you? As has been said, HEVC didn't come along until 2013. Final Cut Express was discontinued in 2011, so that's just not going to work. Sorry, I don't know what formats would be compatible. But a google search finds a number of websites that claim you can upload HEVC clips and they'll convert them to different formats. Caveat emptor, I don't know how legitimate any of them are, but that might be a solution for you.

(Note: I added "Express" to the thread title to avoid further confusion. :) )

Shemp49

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2024
Thank you Boyd01, thats good info. I received the clip from my daughter who got it from a coworker of my son-in-laws brother. I'll see if there is a way to have her send it in a different format. I only do maybe 1-2 projects a year for people. I know my stuff is old and I should upgrade but put it off.

I'll let you know if it works out.

Thanks again

Reactions: Boyd01

Shemp49

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2024
Thanks Bogdanw, I appreciate the response. Mac OS X version 10.5.8. Yep it's old.

I logged back on to advise the problem is solved! I used Video converter by Float Tech from Apple App Store. I really appreciate the help regardless if my stuff is old.

And Lin2log. If you want to buy me a new updated system, I'll be happy to accept it. 😆🤣

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
I logged back on to advise the problem is solved! I used Video converter by Float Tech from Apple App Store.
If you are talking about “The Video Converter” by “Float Tech, LLC” https://apps.apple.com/app/the-video-converter/id1082682593 that is one of the worst apps to convert videos with. It says that “Files are uploaded” and you have to pay to convert to mp4. I would call “The Video Converter” by “Float Tech, LLC” a scam.

• Wow

dandeco

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2008
Brockton, MA
Yeah, you're going to need to upgrade pretty soon. The latest Final Cut Pro can now do pretty much everything Final Cut Express could, and more. Especially when compared to the earlier more limited versions of Final Cut Pro X (the FCP 7 features initially removed were mostly added back in future revisions, and in many cases would be even better than FCP 7's equivalents, like the multicam editing). And since it's 64-bit, it makes better use of your Mac's system.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I've used legacy Final Cut Pro almost since the beginning, upgraded to the new Final Cut Pro X around 2016. No argument that it's a big improvement, especially over FCE. But it's also a big learning curve - the new FCP is a completely different app and the name is the only similarity to the legacy version(s).

But the OP is still running MacOSX Leopard and has made it pretty clear they can't afford to upgrade what is obviously some very old hardware.

Reactions: dandeco

Shemp49

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2024
Yes the app was the Video Converter by Float Tech. My daughter had the original clip on her iPhone. She converted it then emailed it to me.
It worked but I better pass this info on to her.

I will definitely use this info when I get down to upgrading my system. Thanks again everyone!

Shemp49

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2024
I wanted to post and thank everyone for all the help in my struggles with my project. Even though I am using a Stone Age program with your help, I was able to put together an amazing tribute for a special young man that passed away. His memorial was held last Saturday with 250 in attendance. The video was described as beautiful.

Again thank you everyone.

Sincerely,
Todd

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.