Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jorisvanr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2016
So, for starters, ever since i've bought (well, my boss did) my mac pro, i've experienced many, many problems. Two of them are the most annoying and problematic. Lets kick off with the first one: one of my screens (Led Cinema display) is not functioning as it should.

Almost every time when I reboot my Mac, the LED Cinema display simply does not work (the Thunderbolt display does). I have to reset the PRAM etc in order for it to work, sometimes. Or I have to unplug the display for several minutes, and try again, and reset everything again. This would be ok if it happened once in a while, but every freaking time on a $7000 machine is simply unacceptable.

The other big issue I'm experiencing is a crazy error with USB hubs. When I connect devices like a mouse, keyboard, etc everything works fine. When I try to charge my phone, everything works fine. When I connect a usb stick or harddrive, nothing happens. At all.. Except when I put the usb cable of the hub in a port that is not directly the one from the Mac Pro. In other words: when I connect the hub to the USB port of my thunderbolt display, everything works fine.

Can anyone help me with these frustrating issues? Any hints are welcome.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-04-12 at 17.30.02.png
    Screen Shot 2016-04-12 at 17.30.02.png
    74.4 KB · Views: 331

jorisvanr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2016
The USB thing is weird.

Nothing showing in About This Mac>System Report? Even after a restart?

Nope! When I reboot it works, but if I switch the hub of and on again, the problem returns.

Another thing I noticed: in the "about this Mac" section, I see the hub, but it is labeled as a USB2 device, which is weird as it is a USB3 hub.

Thanx for your reply! It is very much appreciated :)

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
To clarify...a USB drive mounts on a restart when connected directly?

What happens if you disconnect every other USB device and then plug in a USB drive directly?

jorisvanr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2016
Yes it does! On an important sidenote: if I plug in a usb drive (HDD, usb stick, etc) directly in the Mac it works. When I plug it in to the USB hub it does not. Except when I reboot or plug the hub in the usb port of my Thunderbolt display.

I Know, it is so weird!

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK
sounds like it's the usb hub that is the problem not the mac pro + is it a powered hub? because it will have to be to power drives.
display might just be anything from a bad cable to bad display.
id try the display on a different computer to see if it still has problems, and you can talk to apple for help too

jorisvanr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2016
I think I've been confused about you question.

Are these "powered" hubs? More than one hub has been tested?

Yes it is a Powered hub, and works fine on other mac pros. I'll try to connect another powered hub tomorrow.

jorisvanr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2016
sounds like it's the usb hub that is the problem not the mac pro + is it a powered hub? because it will have to be to power drives.
display might just be anything from a bad cable to bad display.
id try the display on a different computer to see if it still has problems, and you can talk to apple for help too

It works fine on other mac pros, and it a powered hub.
[doublepost=1460573895][/doublepost]
what hub is it?

This one:
https://www.conrad.nl/nl/renkforce-...ehuizing-met-snellaadpoort-zwart-1305503.html

The link is in Dutch, so I hope this clear enough.

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK

jorisvanr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2016
apple help with usb3
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201163#7

did a quick google and looks like usb 3 hubs might have problems with mac's
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=r...-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=L5gOV8b8AcLWavHalJAO

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4717649?tstart=0
might be you have to be careful with which hub you use

also noticed in the help doc that if you plug in a usb 2 plug to the hub before a usb 3 plug it will show as a usb 2 hub (i think i read that correct)

Thanx! Seems like a similar problem. Did a reboot, but still nothing worked. After that I did a reboot without my keyboard connected (probably USB2) and then it worked as a USB3 hub.

BUT...

When I switch it off and on again, nothing happens! in de system report the hub is now recognised as a USB2 hub and nothing works, except for input devices like a mouse and keyboard (so no data from USB sticks / drives).
[doublepost=1460620753][/doublepost]
Yes it is a Powered hub, and works fine on other mac pros. I'll try to connect another powered hub tomorrow.

Other hubs have the same issues. Everything works fine on another mac pro.

nigelbb

macrumors 65816
Dec 22, 2012
Have you contacted Apple Support? If not why not? One of the good reasons for paying a premium for Apple prodcuts is to get the premium quality support.

Reactions: ActionableMango

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
Thanx! Seems like a similar problem.
I don't know if this info brings abything to you.
Some time ago I noticed a too long boot time of my MP late 2013.
I tried different things.
I changed the 5V power adapter of the USB3 hub for another 5V power adapter with same plug...and suddently the boot time was normal. Even when the USB3 hub was without power supply at all the boot time was normal.
I have no explanation...but somehow without the original power supply of the USB3 hub, the boot time returned to normal.

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
If the power supply of the hub is malfunctioning there is a chance that current will flow towards the usb ports of MP and probably various problems will arise...
You might be right.
However the Belkin USB3 hub was delivered by Apple themselves and the power supply came with it.
As a user you believe that Apple will not offer low quality accessories.
How exactly the current even if too high may cause an abnormal long boot time is beyond my limited technical knowhow.
Anyhow I was satisfied to have corrected it even without understanding at all how it happened.

The best thing is to quote Albert Einstein:
Theory is when we know everything but nothing works.
Practice is when everything works but nobody knows why.
In our team we have managed to join theory to practice.
Nothing works and nobody knows why.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
I'm especially confused because you said the hub worked fine on other Mac Pros. I don't understand either! But I'm glad your problem was fixed with minimal hassle.

Kudo to the people who pointed toward that as the problem.

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
I'm especially confused because you said the hub worked fine on other Mac Pros. I don't understand either! But I'm glad your problem was fixed with minimal hassle.

Kudo to the people who pointed toward that as the problem.
I did not mention other Mac Pros. I have only one.
Maybe someone else in another post spoke of several computers.

jorisvanr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2016
I was the one that said it worked fine on other MP's.. Still no fix for this issue however. Changing the power supply is unlikely to fix this issue, because the same issue occurs with another (different brand) USB hub with another power supply. Will try to switch them tough..

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
I was the one that said it worked fine on other MP's.. Still no fix for this issue however. Changing the power supply is unlikely to fix this issue, because the same issue occurs with another (different brand) USB hub with another power supply. Will try to switch them tough..
You can never know if it might not help.
My USB3 Belkin powered hub, received directly from Apple, newly forces me to disconnect and connect it again in order that the MP recognizes the external drives connected to it.
That was not the case until now. Very strange...
A drive directly connected to a port of the MP however, appears immediately on the desktop.
USB hubs or the way the MP deals with them seem not to be easy to understand and the behavior might change in time, I don't know why.
I will probably buy another powered USB3 hub with more ports. With the MP late 2013 many ports are a necessity.
Luckily they are not expensive, contrary to Thunderbolt hubs and drives.
Ed

filmak

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2012
between earth and heaven
It doesn't matter where you have bought your hub, from Apple or elsewhere...
If you want some peace of mind you have to buy a hub with VIA chipset VL812-B2 or newer...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.