Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GoGoSamGo

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2007

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
NO!

J&K ARE TERRIBLE PEOPLE!
You should always research resellers before buying! Anyone here could have told you to steer clear of J&K, but http://resellerratings.com is helpful, too.

:(
Good luck. I bought my last camera from J&K and learned the hard way that they're no good, and try to scam you into everything they can.

almightyshoe

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2006
B-Town, India
I probably would've gone by the 9 negatives out of 8994 and made the same mistake. But the complaints seem to be more in the vein of 'long ship times and crappy customer service', not 'they took my money and ran', so I wouldn't worry too much Sam.

GoGoSamGo

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2007
What's wrong with them I don't understand? They have 99.9% feedback out of almost 9,000 feedback. The only complaint I see is slow shipping, but hey as long as I recieve my item I'm happy, and if I don't recieve it in 2-3 weeks then I can easily get my money back from paypal. I don't see any complaints of sending a broken camera and then not refunding money or not sending at all.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
What's wrong with them I don't understand? They have 99.9% feedback out of almost 9,000 feedback. The only complaint I see is slow shipping, but hey as long as I recieve my item I'm happy, and if I don't recieve it in 2-3 weeks then I can easily get my money back from paypal. I don't see any complaints of sending a broken camera and then not refunding money or not sending at all.

OK (without reference to this exact seller of whom I have no knowledge) the typical discount camera slamming scenario from XYZCheapCameras.com goes like this.

You place your order at a really good price, the website says they are in stock and will ship in 2 -3 days. You are happy.

In 1 - 2 days you get a phone call from a service agent at XYZCheapCameras.com who needs to discuss your order with you, there's a holdup with your charge card. While you are on the phone to resolve the 'holdup', the agent gives you a high pressure sales pitch for filters, or lenses, or cases or batteries or warranties. All of these items will be marked up hugely. They may even claim that the camera as you ordered it does not come with certain parts, which you will have to buy extra for it to work.

If you don't spend an extra several hundred dollars, you will be told that your camera is on backorder and will take several weeks or months to ship. Or, that the camera that you ordered is an offshore (gray market) model that doesn't come with a warranty for your country or English documentation, and if you want the legit camera you'll have to pay more. Or you're getting a refurb. Or that your charge card was declined and they are cancelling the order.

If you hold your ground, you might get the camera weeks or months late, and it may be other than what you ordered.

You also might find that 'shipping' and 'handling' and 'insurance' are far higher than the market rate.

Why? Because when you sell a camera below cost, you have to tack on profit by selling high margin accessories. If the customer doesn't fall for it, you're better off blowing off the customer than delivering the goods at a loss. Enough people fall for it and buy the extras to make it profitable.

Also, eBay feedback is easily manipulated, some companies make their discounted prices contingent on receiving positive feedback (sometimes in advance of the product being delivered), and others engage in predatory feedback -- where if a customer gives a negative for a legitimate complaint, the seller will retaliate with a very bad (usually fictional) feeback to the buyer. Buyer complains to eBay, eBay deletes the feedback, which also deletes the buyer's original complaint about the seller.

Also:
"1-Year Store Warranty Included"
A "store warranty" is code for "no factory warranty included" This is typical of grey market goods. If this is the case, this means for any warranty work you have to ship it back to the seller for repairs, Nikon service and authorized Nikon dealers won't touch it. Nowhere in the auction does it say that this camera carries a Nikon USA warranty.

"+Plus 1 0.42X Pro Wide Angle Lens
+Plus 1 Auto Digital Flash"
Does not state that these will be Nikon products, they could be any brand.
" Photos of some accessories are representational and may not reflect the actual items shipped. We reserve the right to substitute some accessory items for those of equal or greater value, based on availability." :rolleyes:

"For your protection, all orders that are submitted to us through E-bay are subjected to a thorough verification procedure before shipping. Often, this process includes contacting you via telephone or e-mail to confirm your order and delivery information. Please be sure to include a phone number and e-mail address so that we can contact you if necessary. We reserve the right to request additional verification and other information before accepting any order." :rolleyes:

"Returns:
Shipping, handling, and insurance charges are not refundable.
All returned packages will be charged return shipping.
All returns are subject to a minimum 5% restocking fee. [and other conditions]"
So even if it is defective or the wrong thing, and you want a refund you could be out $110 (39.99 + 39.99 + 5% of $599.99) -- which you agreed to.

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I am sorry to say that those camera packages on ebay are all junk. They give you a good camera and a bunch of junk that for some reason looks good in the pictures some how.

I hope it works out for ya, and just because someone didn't leave negative feednack doesn't mean they had a good experience.

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
OK (without reference to this exact seller of whom I have no knowledge) the typical discount camera slamming scenario from XYZCheapCameras.com goes like this.

You place your order at a really good price, the website says they are in stock and will ship in 2 -3 days. You are happy.

In 1 - 2 days you get a phone call from a service agent at XYZCheapCameras.com who needs to discuss your order with you, there's a holdup with your charge card. While you are on the phone to resolve the 'holdup', the agent gives you a high pressure sales pitch for filters, or lenses, or cases or batteries or warranties. All of these items will be marked up hugely. They may even claim that the camera as you ordered it does not come with certain parts, which you will have to buy extra for it to work.

If you don't spend an extra several hundred dollars, you will be told that your camera is on backorder and will take several weeks or months to ship. Or, that the camera that you ordered is an offshore (gray market) model that doesn't come with a warranty for your country or English documentation, and if you want the legit camera you'll have to pay more. Or you're getting a refurb. Or that your charge card was declined and they are cancelling the order.

If you hold your ground, you might get the camera weeks or months late, and it may be other than what you ordered.

Why? Because when you sell a camera below cost, you have to tack on profit by selling high margin accessories. If the customer doesn't fall for it, you're better off blowing off the customer than delivering the goods at a loss. Enough people fall for it and buy the extras to make it profitable.

Also, eBay feedback is easily manipulated, some companies make their discounted prices contingent on receiving positive feedback (sometimes in advance of the product being delivered), and others engage in predatory feedback -- where if a customer gives a negative for a legitimate complaint, the seller will retaliate with a very bad (usually fictional) feeback to the buyer. Buyer complains to eBay, eBay deletes the feedback, which also deletes the buyer's original complaint about the seller.

This was almost exactly my experience with J&K. I ended up with almost $200 of worthless junk before I got off the phone with them (including [as I later found out] a useless warranty). Took forever to ship, didn't come with the same accessories they said it would. The lenses were crap, but luckily I was able to resell them and make up some of the loss. :\ BAD BAD BAD experience.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Always, always check out any retailer before you plunk down your money, especially on the internet and eBay! Don Wiss has an excellent website at http://www.donwiss.com/pictures/brooklynstores that includes photos of many of the so-called camera dealers in Brooklyn, NY. Most are warehouses or one-room outfits, not actual retail stores.

Frankly, in my opinion it is best to buy a camera locally at a brick-and-mortar camera shop, but I realize that some people do not have good camera stores in their area. Buying online I would trust B&H, Penn, Ace and ePhotocraft.com, but that's it.

From Don Wiss' site:

------------------------------------------------
J and K Cameras, Inc., d.b.a. MrAccessory.com, InfinityCameras.com, InfinitiCameras.com, InfinitiPhoto.com, Best Price Cameras (BestPriceCameras.com), Enterprise Photo (EnterprisePhoto.com), Century 21 Electronics, (century21electronics.com)
1965 McDonald Ave.
Current location. Address found in a resellerratings.com comment for Best Price Cameras. For prior locations see pictures following.
218 J and K Cameras, Inc., d.b.a. MrAccessory.com, InfinityCameras.com, InfinitiCameras.com, InfinitiPhoto.com, Best Price Cameras (BestPriceCameras.com), Enterprise Photo (EnterprisePhoto.com)
1938 McDonald Ave.
Picture taken December 2005. According to PriceSCAN EastCoastDistributor.com was also at this address, and the whois record for it matches all the other whois records for all these domain names. Taken at an angle so the people inside wouldn't see me taking their picture. Click on web size picture to read sign at right. Also have registered jandkcameras.com. Two older pictures follow. Update: I was passing by in May 2006 and saw "For Rent 3,000 sq ft" signs on the front. A couple fellows trying to get in to clean up said they went out of business. But all of their web sites are still up, and all still show this address. After several months I found them at 1965 McDonald Ave. J and K Cameras, Inc.'s entity information lists a lawyer in Manhattan. EnterprisePhoto.com is the newest member of this family. Buy something, hit the checkout button, and you're at BestPriceCameras.com.
57 J and K Cameras, Inc., d.b.a. MrAccessory.com, InfinityCameras.com, InfinitiCameras.com, InfinitiPhoto.com, BestPriceCameras.com
1938 McDonald Ave.
Picture taken mid-afternoon on Wednesday, November 12, 2003. See December 2005 update.
58 J and K Cameras, Inc., d.b.a. MrAccessory.com, InfinityCameras.com, InfinitiCameras.com, InfinitiPhoto.com, BestPriceCameras.com
1938 McDonald Ave.
Closeup of sign. Sign is now gone. See picture two prior for update.

------------------------------------------

Go to to the website and look at the photos!

jesses

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2007
Georgia
screw on "wide angle lens" are crap. And that flash too..
if you want a nikon d40 package. look for the Cameta Camera ebay store. I bought my d50 there. They're "trustable"

jlcharles

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2006
Wenonah, NJ
Frankly, in my opinion it is best to buy a camera locally at a brick-and-mortar camera shop, but I realize that some people do not have good camera stores in their area. Buying online I would trust B&H, Penn, Ace and ePhotocraft.com, but that's it.

Add Adorama, Calumet and for used stuff, Keh.

almightyshoe

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2006
B-Town, India
Personally, I prefer Cameta Camera; they sell kits and refurbished bundles for dirt cheap, and take care of you throughout the purchase. Plus they have a Nikon outlet store too. I got my d50, two Nikkor lenses, then the usual filler (Nikon bag, tripod, etc) for 600 with a 1 year warranty through Nikon and a 30 day warranty from Cameta.

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2006
PA
screw on "wide angle lens" are crap. And that flash too..
if you want a nikon d40 package. look for the Cameta Camera ebay store. I bought my d50 there. They're "trustable"

Definitely. I just bought my D50 package from them and I am VERY satisfied with it. The camera was marked as a "Factory Demo" but it came in an official Nikon Refurbished Unit box with all new accessories. The body itself looked new, I couldn't find one scratch.

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
Definitely. I just bought my D50 package from them and I am VERY satisfied with it. The camera was marked as a "Factory Demo" but it came in an official Nikon Refurbished Unit box with all new accessories. The body itself looked new, I couldn't find one scratch.

I'm sure glad to see all the good feedback about Cameta. I ordered an Olympus E-500 from them Saturday night!

fall3n

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2006
When you see a deal that's to good to be true, it's exactly that. Call your credit card company or PayPal and cancel your order. Personally I only stick to brand name companies for exactly this reason. I'd rather pay more and get better, reliable service then deal with something shifty like this. eBay = bad.

Oh and awesome write up CanadaRAM. Btw, your service is excellent and delivery time was amazing. :)

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
yeah bad call, see if you cant cancel your order from your credit card company.

Well, be careful what you do here too. You have agreed to their terms and conditions, and your suspicion (or even certainty) that you will get $(#=%=d does not constitute a breach of contract until it actually happens.

Typically the credit card company (or PayPal) won't cancel a charge on your say so unless you present them with evidence in writing. And that has to be evidence that you had asked and were refused a refund, that the goods were not as described or didnt arrive, or that the seller otherwise breached the contract. Unfortunately, the sharp sellers are VERY good at staying just within the letter of the law and their sales contracts, so you usually have no leg to stand on. You knowingly bought a thing that had no factory warranty and off brand accessories, because that's what you agreed to.

Be prepared for a fight to cancel the order though. The camera that was 'ready to ship' when you ordered, and was 'backordered' when you refused to buy the junk, could magically become 'already shipped' when you try to cancel. You'll be on the hook for return shipping charges handling charges, insurance, restocking fees or order cancellation fees. It could cost you maybe $100 to back out now.

Document everything, Do not send a thing back without a tracking number, insurance, and a signature on delivery.

fall3n

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2006
Well, be careful what you do here too. You have agreed to their terms and conditions, and your suspicion (or even certainty) that you will get $(#=%=d does not constitute a breach of contract until it actually happens.

Typically the credit card company (or PayPal) won't cancel a charge on your say so unless you present them with evidence in writing. And that has to be evidence that you had asked and were refused a refund, that the goods were not as described or didnt arrive, or that the seller otherwise breached the contract. Unfortunately, the sharp sellers are VERY good at staying just within the letter of the law and their sales contracts, so you usually have no leg to stand on. You knowingly bought a thing that had no factory warranty and off brand accessories, because that's what you agreed to.

Be prepared for a fight to cancel the order though. The camera that was 'ready to ship' when you ordered, and was 'backordered' when you refused to buy the junk, could magically become 'already shipped' when you try to cancel. You'll be on the hook for return shipping charges handling charges, insurance, restocking fees or order cancellation fees. It could cost you maybe $100 to back out now.

Document everything, Do not send a thing back without a tracking number, insurance, and a signature on delivery.

Bummer dude, this may be one of those live and learn situations.

GoGoSamGo

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2007
Bummer dude, this may be one of those live and learn situations.

Well sort of. I called in today and sales department was the only thing open and I was told to call customer service tomorrow for a refund (we'll see how that works out). *sigh* I decide to jump into digital photography and before I even start I'm already running into problems. I've used ebay for so many years with no problems, especially if the seller had wonderful feedback. So I got sucked into buying this deal (I knew the add on's wern't going to probably be below average quality, but I thought hey it's still added on for the price it would of cost to buy it at a place like Ritz), and now this thread just broke down my hopes of possibly recieving my camera soon (not that it's the peoples fault, but I suppose the truth hurts). :( Maybe I should just stick with Film...

Allstermac

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2007
This is scary... I buy often off ebay and have never been burned (yet).. If I see several thousand positive replies... I would not have thought twice about buying from them... can not ebay find out the truth on these scum??

what goes around comes around... Some day there gonna piss off the wrong dude and get what they deserve....

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
now this thread just broke down my hopes of possibly recieving my camera soon...

Not at all. Don't you have a local Brick-and-Mortar store to which you could go and purchase your camera? Instant gratification there -- you walk in the store and a little while later you walk out with the camera in hand! Yes, it may cost more, but there are all sorts of hidden benefits there, including the one where if there are problems the store will help you out.

Barring a purchase in a local camera shop, if you order from B&H they ship really quickly so you'd have the new camera in hand within three (business) days.

In either case,you more than likely would have the camera far more quickly than you ever would with JandK!

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Well sort of. I called in today and sales department was the only thing open and I was told to call customer service tomorrow for a refund (we'll see how that works out).

Heh..Just for fun, record how many times you have to call to get to customer service, how long you are put on hold, and how many people tell you that they cant handle a cancellation, that you have to hold for someone else. Also, see if it magically has shipped between the "sorry, call back tomorrow" call and the "this is customer service" call.

Seriously, I hope that they do right by you and allow you to cancel without exorbitant charges. Be prepared to cough up at least their eBay listing fees as a penalty. Set a budget first that you would be comfortable with losing and negotiate with the aim of keeping the total cost within your budget. But prepare yourself for negative feedback as a non-paying bidder on eBay. Because you bid an won an auction, with full knowledge that it was an firm agreement to pay the bid price, you have less negotiating room than if you had bought from their website or on the phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.