Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GoGoSamGo

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2007
Well I called them this morning to ask for a refund. First thing that happens is that I'm on hold to talk to customer service for around 2-3 mins. Finally someone answers and it's a guy named Sean. I explained I wanted to cancel my order he asked for my email, confirmed my name, and said that he would "try" to process it today. As soon as he said try my heart stopped thinking oh great and here's where it begins. Shockingly enough 2 hours later I recieved a email from paypal saying that I had recieved a refund (my full money) and it was in my account but frozen until tomorrow until the original transfer of my money to them was cleared. The guy Sean was actually very nice and did everything quickly. I guess I lucked out and didn't get one of those people that hang up the phone on me or the ones that would charge me a restocking fee or in general just not process the refund. Well I'm happy to know this is over with and I think I'm just going to spend a bit extra and buy from outside or maybe from Cameta Camera which a few people on here said was a good seller (but first I'm going to look into that....)

Also want to thank everyone for the heads up, even though I found out after I purchased, I guess it still saved me. Thank you for helping me not fall into a scam.

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
Well I'm happy to know this is over with and I think I'm just going to spend a bit extra and buy from outside or maybe from Cameta Camera which a few people on here said was a good seller (but first I'm going to look into that....)

Like a said a few posts ago, I ordered from Cameta late Sat. night. They said my order would ship within two business days. I got an email from them today (2 business days later) with a tracking number. I'll keep you posted about when it gets here and what condition it's in and everything, but judging by the other people who have suggested them I suspect everything will work out. Good luck next time you do decide to venture into DSLR-land!

astral

macrumors member
May 9, 2005
I found buydig.com to be pleasant. They did try to sell a memory card during their order confirmation call, but you just say no and they'll still ship the product.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Shockingly enough 2 hours later I recieved a email from paypal saying that I had recieved a refund (my full money) and it was in my account but frozen until tomorrow until the original transfer of my money to them was cleared.

Until you actually see that money back in your account, don't get too excited.....Just as the original transaction was, this seems a little too good to be true. I hope for your sake that this all does work out well and that you will receive your full refund, etc.!

If you don't have a good local camera shop near you, I'd recommend checking out the B&H site (http://www.bhphotovideo.com) for your new camera purchase.....

SRSound

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2005
Here's another bid for canceling your order as soon as possible. I once ordered a very nice fixed-lens camera from a similar discount camera retailer only get a call a few days later asking if I wanted to purchase the lens for it... The sales rep went on to admit that this camera I bought was actually just the plastic casing and I would have to buy the lens, CCD chip, battery, etc if I wanted a working model... Took almost two weeks to process the refund. I contacted the Better Business Bureau only to find out this company had been buying and disassembling cameras to scam people into this faulty deals. Some people...

GoGoSamGo

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2007
Until you actually see that money back in your account, don't get too excited.....Just as the original transaction was, this seems a little too good to be true. I hope for your sake that this all does work out well and that you will receive your full refund, etc.!

If you don't have a good local camera shop near you, I'd recommend checking out the B&H site (http://www.bhphotovideo.com) for your new camera purchase.....

No the refund has gone through in paypal and ebay, in both it shows they have refunded my funds, and in paypal I see the money but it's frozen in my papyal account and it says that the original payment must be cleared (takes 2-3 days) with my bank. I really don't understand it but I talked to paypal today and they do have the money actually refunded by J&K and paypal is holding it until it clears. So I'm not worried about it clearing, hopefully by Thursday.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
in paypal I see the money but it's frozen in my papyal account and it says that the original payment must be cleared (takes 2-3 days) with my bank. I really don't understand it but I talked to paypal today and they do have the money actually refunded by J&K and paypal is holding it until it clears.

Well, I hope all works out! However, right at the moment that money is still not back in your bank account, right? I would keep on top of things and on Thursday make sure with your bank that the money has actually been refunded to your account.

GoGoSamGo

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2007
No it's not in my bank account, it's in my paypal, but it's untouchable for now :-/ When it clears it will be in my paypal account so I can choose to deposit it to my bank account, or use it, which I'm thinking of using it to purchase a camera from Cameta Camera which I get a brand new D40, Nikon carrying bag, Memory card, and memory card reader for $600 delivered, but I'm not sure yet

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Got it..... All I'm saying is to be sure that you've actually got your funds back in your own possession! Definitely before making another purchase, do some checking around, see what deals are being offered and by whom.... As far as I know, Cameta is a reputable dealer so you should be OK there. Just be careful to check things out before putting your money on the line again....

GoGoSamGo

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2007
Ya, I will do for sure, I'm not going to lie this guy really tricked me. I've been using ebay for years and always purchased according to feedback. The guy has 9,000 feedback with like a few low numbers of negitives, so I really thought I was going to be fine, and probably still did up until now if I had not posted on this site :-/

GoGoSamGo

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2007
Well the refund was finalized, and I have a full refund back into my paypal account :) That was not a fun experience though :-/

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
can not ebay find out the truth on these scum??

There is nothing to find out here... the seller described to the letter of the law what they were going to deliver -- a warrranty (just not a Nikon warranty), a flash (just not a quality one), a wide angle lens (just not a good one)

The error is with the buyer in making assumptions about what they are getting that is not explicitly stated. There is no action that eBay can take, because although it may be viewed as misleading, it is all accurate as far as it goes.

GoGoSamGo

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2007
There is nothing to find out here... the seller described to the letter of the law what they were going to deliver -- a warrranty (just not a Nikon warranty), a flash (just not a quality one), a wide angle lens (just not a good one)

The error is with the buyer in making assumptions about what they are getting that is not explicitly stated. There is no action that eBay can take, because although it may be viewed as misleading, it is all accurate as far as it goes.

Not to forget ebay also sees that his customers are satisfied with having over 9,000 feedback and such few negitives. This is pretty much what tricked me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.