Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CK Williams

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2008
Las Vegas
First impressions:
there are only 4 shooting modes: (Manual, Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority, and Program Automatic); while the K10D has 9: (Manual, Shutter Priority, Aperture Priority, Sensitivity Priority (which would have been cool on the D700), Shutter & Aperture priority (which I think is unique to Pentax), Bulb, Flash Sync, Program Automatic, Green, User Manual). I also have noticed the lack of Shake Reduction since the K10D has it built in. Shutterspeeds that I used to hand hold on the K10D are really tough now, (and I was beginning to think that the SR on the K10D wasn't really working for me, guess I was just getting complacent).

Congratulations on the new equipment. A couple of things in case you haven't already figured them out, on the D700 Bulb is just a shutter speed setting in either Shutter Priority or Manual. Program Automatic will allow you to adjust the aperture or shutter speed to what you want by turning the dials, this may be similar to the Pentax Shutter & Aperture mode.
One of the features I like on the Nikon is the ISO Auto. With the amazing ISO capabilities of the camera you should be able to easily set it to a speed you can hand hold. Adding the grip to the bottom and using the hefty 24-70 made it easier for me to hold as well.
Looking forward to your photos.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
First impressions:

This camera is very user friendly, but it's a whole different beast compared to my K10D. There's a huge disconnect between the Pentax Control scheme (which I think is superior) and the Nikon Control Scheme. Aperture and Shutterspeed command dials were opposite (I changed them in the D700), there are only 4 shooting modes: (Manual, Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority, and Program Automatic); while the K10D has 9: (Manual, Shutter Priority, Aperture Priority, Sensitivity Priority (which would have been cool on the D700), Shutter & Aperture priority (which I think is unique to Pentax), Bulb, Flash Sync, Program Automatic, Green, User Manual). I also have noticed

For Nikon, Bulb is a shutter speed and flash sync is a part of the flash settings and shutter speed selection (Select any shutter speed up to the sync speed or FP Sync speed depending on the flash mode.) For sensitivity priority set the ISO in any mode. "Green" is just a matter of setting auto-ISO in program mode.

Also, in case you didn't know, spinning the control wheel in any of the automatic modes changes the settings in sync.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
For Nikon, Bulb is a shutter speed and flash sync is a part of the flash settings and shutter speed selection (Select any shutter speed up to the sync speed or FP Sync speed depending on the flash mode.) For sensitivity priority set the ISO in any mode. "Green" is just a matter of setting auto-ISO in program mode.

Also, in case you didn't know, spinning the control wheel in any of the automatic modes changes the settings in sync.

I hadn't noticed that bulb was a shutterspeed setting, that's good to know. I also wasn't aware of the flash sync speeds either (still reading the manual). The rest I guess is just different ways each manufacturer has of doing the same thing eh?

Thanks for the heads up! Loving the camera, and the SB-900 now that it's here. Should be picking up the 24-70 this week sometime.

SLC

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I hadn't noticed that bulb was a shutterspeed setting, that's good to know. I also wasn't aware of the flash sync speeds either (still reading the manual). The rest I guess is just different ways each manufacturer has of doing the same thing eh?

Thanks for the heads up! Loving the camera, and the SB-900 now that it's here. Should be picking up the 24-70 this week sometime.

SLC

You may want to look around for a settings file or list of common settings- the biggest ones to get right are AF settings, points, number of points, closest subject (normally off!) and stuff like that. Worst-case, Moose Peterson's D3 settings should be pretty close.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
Well my 24-70 is in the shop so I'm heading down to pick it up this afternoon. I talked the shop into matching Adorama's prices so I'm buying local. The nice part about that is that they've pledged to let me borrow lenses and bodies from their rental department free of charge should one of mine need service. I'm all over that! It's like free pro-service.

I've done some extensive testing and renting as well and have decided to go ahead and purchase the existing 70-200 rather than pre-order the new one. I've much more than happy with the results it's given me so far, and I'll save about $500.00. I'll likely pick one up today when I get the 24-70.

SLC

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.