Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What camera should I get?

• Total voters

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
hey all, i was at ritz the other night and i tried out a rebel XT. man, that thing is a piece of junk! i'd probably brake it in like 30 minutes. ok, down to the final two:)

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Did you happen to look at any Nikons, too, while you were there? D70s should be coming down in price now that the D80 is out. The 18-70 kit lens that comes with it is really quite good. For the money, in the long run I suspect you'd be better off....

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
wmmk said:
hey all, i was at ritz the other night and i tried out a rebel XT. man, that thing is a piece of junk! i'd probably brake it in like 30 minutes. ok, down to the final two:)
Be fair - it isn't junk. Just very small and light - which some people want.

I don't know if there are reviews for the cameras you are looking at (I know that the K100 is listed, I don't know about the Olympus), but I'd suggest you check out dcresource's reviews. They are pretty good at being a little more user-friendly and practical than the dpreview.

EDIT: K100D and E-500

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
Clix Pix said:
Did you happen to look at any Nikons, too, while you were there? D70s should be coming down in price now that the D80 is out. The 18-70 kit lens that comes with it is really quite good. For the money, in the long run I suspect you'd be better off....
can't say i did. my mom was just running an errand, and she let me go into the ritz, and i just wanted to hold the rebel because so many people said it was too small. I'm Jewish, and Rosh Hashanah starts at sundown and ends at sundown on sunday night. then next weekend in Yom Kippur, so I suppose in two weeks I can get back to a Camera shop and try out lots of stuff (even Nikons:))
by the way, i really like battery grips. they add weight to the camera, increase storage space, and increase strorage. i know that pentax only makes grips for the K10D, but do third party manufacturers make K100D/K110D grips (or olympus E-500 grips)?

macOSX-tastic

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2005
At the Airport. UK
just read though the thread, and i'm sorry to deviate a little....

i have a Canon EOS 300 and have bought an old 2nd hand lens for it. its a 70 - 210mm one, and the price was excellent....it even had autofocus. will this type of lens be compatable with newer Canon DSLR's if i decide to upgrade in the future?

cheers

S

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
macOSX-tastic said:
just read though the thread, and i'm sorry to deviate a little....

i have a Canon EOS 300 and have bought an old 2nd hand lens for it. its a 70 - 210mm one, and the price was excellent....it even had autofocus. will this type of lens be compatable with newer Canon DSLR's if i decide to upgrade in the future?

cheers

S
yep. werll, unlesss cannon starts making completely different cameras, which probably won't happen in the next 20 years:)

Back on topic, the nikon 35mm I'm currently using is a N8008. of all nikon dSLRs, which is most like the old N8008? also, is the 18-55mm lense in the K100D kit an IS lense? does the E-500have an SR system? thanks

serpent

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2006
L'shanah tovah, wmmk!
In my oppinion if your really serious about getting into digital photography, ask your Mom for an early Chanukkah present and go for the D80.

Serpent

Bill Gates

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2006
serpent said:
L'shanah tovah, wmmk!
In my oppinion if your really serious about getting into digital photography, ask your Mom for an early Chanukkah present and go for the D80.

Serpent
$1000 Hanukkah present? That's kind of unorthodox. :eek:

NinjaMonkey

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2003
Maryland
wmmk said:
can't say i did. my mom was just running an errand, and she let me go into the ritz, and i just wanted to hold the rebel because so many people said it was too small. I'm Jewish, and Rosh Hashanah starts at sundown and ends at sundown on sunday night. then next weekend in Yom Kippur, so I suppose in two weeks I can get back to a Camera shop and try out lots of stuff (even Nikons:))
by the way, i really like battery grips. they add weight to the camera, increase storage space, and increase strorage. i know that pentax only makes grips for the K10D, but do third party manufacturers make K100D/K110D grips (or olympus E-500 grips)?

Sadly Oly doesn't make a grip for the E500, I really wish they did. Battery life is pretty good though, I usually fill up my card way before I need to bother changing the battery. As far as storage space the cool thing about the E500 is that it has two memory slots you can use. It has a compact Flash slot and a XD slot. I keep a 2gig Compact Flash card and a 512 xd card in my camera at all times.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
NinjaMonkey said:
Sadly Oly doesn't make a grip for the E500, I really wish they did. Battery life is pretty good though, I usually fill up my card way before I need to bother changing the battery. As far as storage space the cool thing about the E500 is that it has two memory slots you can use. It has a compact Flash slot and a XD slot. I keep a 2gig Compact Flash card and a 512 xd card in my camera at all times.
wow, that's nice flexibility! how many memory slots are on the pentax? i read that only 46 RAW images from the K100D fit on a 512 card. i suppose a 2 gig card would hold 184 images, which isn't altogether terrible, but I'd like to have more than that, just for those hypothetical situations in which I don't have access to my computer for a whole weekend or even 4-5 day trip to someplace, and i don't want be fumbling around timy cards in a big slr backpack, then again, 184 images would be the equivalent of about 8 rolls of film. hmmm.....
decisions, decisions...

NinjaMonkey

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2003
Maryland
wmmk said:
wow, that's nice flexibility! how many memory slots are on the pentax? i read that only 46 RAW images from the K100D fit on a 512 card. i suppose a 2 gig card would hold 184 images, which isn't altogether terrible, but I'd like to have more than that, just for those hypothetical situations in which I don't have access to my computer for a whole weekend or even 4-5 day trip to someplace, and i don't want be fumbling around timy cards in a big slr backpack, then again, 184 images would be the equivalent of about 8 rolls of film. hmmm.....
decisions, decisions...

I get about 74 RAW shots per gig on the e500. The only issue with xD is that it is slower to write than Compact Flash so it isn't great for burst shooting. It is nice to have the extra card slot though and most cameras don't have it so I can't complain too much.

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
wmmk said:
also, is the 18-55mm lense in the K100D kit an IS lense?
The beauty of in body SR is that every lens is IS, and you don't have the intense weight that you would get with a Canon IS or Nikon VR lens, and every lens is an IS lens.

Also, I would say it is very unlikely (if I say impossible, someone will do it just to spite me :)) that a TP could make a grip for the K100. There aren't any pins on the body to recieve data from a grip or send power to the camera. I'm sure someone could build something that would screw into the tripod mount and connect to the AC (converting the DC AAs to AC) and remote trigger ports, but I don't see it happening.

Also, only one SD slot on the Pentax, which will accept SDHC cards, so 2GB isn't your upper limit if you are concerned. I have a 1GB and I plan to buy a cheap 2 or 4GB card (making that the primary and the 1GB my backup).

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
nbs2 said:
The beauty of in body SR is that every lens is IS, and you don't have the intense weight that you would get with a Canon IS or Nikon VR lens, and every lens is an IS lens.

Also, I would say it is very unlikely (if I say impossible, someone will do it just to spite me :)) that a TP could make a grip for the K100. There aren't any pins on the body to recieve data from a grip or send power to the camera. I'm sure someone could build something that would screw into the tripod mount and connect to the AC (converting the DC AAs to AC) and remote trigger ports, but I don't see it happening.

Also, only one SD slot on the Pentax, which will accept SDHC cards, so 2GB isn't your upper limit if you are concerned. I have a 1GB and I plan to buy a cheap 2 or 4GB card (making that the primary and the 1GB my backup).
whoa, that helped a lot. ok, i'm just about sure i'll go with the K100D now. being able to use a 4GB card would sure be nice! i suppose the battery grip isn't that huge of an issue. is the K100D the only camera within my price range that has in body, IS? if so, i'm getting it no matter what. i hate lenses that heavier than the body they're on!

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
wmmk said:
whoa, that helped a lot. ok, i'm just about sure i'll go with the K100D now. being able to use a 4GB card would sure be nice! i suppose the battery grip isn't that huge of an issue. is the K100D the only camera within my price range that has in body, IS? if so, i'm getting it no matter what. i hate lenses that heavier than the body they're on!

I guess you'll only be using short lenses. ;)

Grips are nice, I suppose, but I really dislike the extra weight, especially since I don't use a tripod on monopod to stabilise the shot. They get in the way.

Pentax really does have a great, new line of cameras.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
bousozoku said:
I guess you'll only be using short lenses. ;)
I suppose telephoto can be an exception;)
Grips are nice, I suppose, but I really dislike the extra weight, especially since I don't use a tripod on monopod to stabilise the shot. They get in the way.
i suppose you may be right, although i have huge hands and i'm used to a big nikon N8008, so extra weight is sort of a good thing.

Pentax really does have a great, new line of cameras.
I concur:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.