Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TimManzana

macrumors member
Original poster
May 9, 2020
So I just bought a 2018 Mac mini used, the seller did a full wipe and created a generic local account just so that I could verify that the computer was not locked to iCloud etc, and it wasn't, but the computer had Catalina installed, I tried to do an upgrade through online recovery and the first time it allowed me to wipe the drive and install Big Sur over recovery but the installation failed at around 80% maybe. so I went back to recovery and this time it gave me an error saying it could't connect to the server to verify activation lock, I restarted the machine back to recovery and the next time it told me it was iCloud locked and showed an account covered by black dots, later that day I tried different methods to reinstall the OS without luck, trying to enable boot from flash drive required the password from that iCloud account, so I went to recovery one last time and it allowed me to install Catalina instead, after it finished installing it didn't prompt me to reactivate with the previous iCloud account, it allowed me to login to mine and carry on with the initial setup.
I have since been using the computer just fine and gone back to recovery to see it it would prompt me again for its previous user account but there is no traces anymore, is all working fine with mine, what could've happened? could it be that the computer needed to establish a reliable internet connection to update and be removed from the previous account?

also another odd thing I've noticed, right now it has my account and everything is enabled and works fine, find my Mac is enabled under my own iCloud account, however the Activation Lock status shows "Disabled" under System report, again what could be the problem?

ThinkBrother

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2021
also another odd thing I've noticed, right now it has my account and everything is enabled and works fine, find my Mac is enabled under my own iCloud account, however the Activation Lock status shows "Disabled" under System report, again what could be the problem?

Might a bug (happened on my Mac a couple times).
1) Try to disable Find My Mac and then re-enable it again via System Preferences.
2) Also try to restart.

Either options usually do the trick.

TimManzana

macrumors member
Original poster
May 9, 2020
Might a bug (happened on my Mac a couple times).
1) Try to disable Find My Mac and then re-enable it again via System Preferences.
2) Also try to restart.

Either options usually do the trick.
I tried both, even went back to recovery to check if the full security was enabled. I’ll to another full wipe when Monterrey gets released and see.

TimManzana

macrumors member
Original poster
May 9, 2020
I did a full HD wipe and clean installed Monterey, secure boot is on and boot from external flash is off, the system report is still showing that activation lock is disabled but find my is enabled and working, what could be the issue?

VolodymyrOnSky

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2023
hi, did you win your problem ? I have the same
I have two apple id, with first activation lock enabled, with second disabled on some mac (but not on every on)

TimManzana

macrumors member
Original poster
May 9, 2020
I ended up having the guy that sold it to me come to unlock it because at some point it when I decided to sell the computer it prompted me again for his account upon wipe, luckily he was local and kind enough to stop by to unlock it for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.