Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 3, 2009
My MacBook Pro is being repaired (because the battery needs replacing and it's glued in, making it very difficult to replace) and I had to dig an old Mac Mini out of the closet to continue working. The machine is from 2007 I believe, Core 2 Duo with 2GB or RAM, running Snow Leopard. It's been upgraded with an SSD.

First of all, the thing boots up almost instantly, goes to sleep instantly and wakes up with no delay. I remember when I upgraded it, although it's a pain to take it apart, you can easily swap out the HDD, the RAM, and even the CPU, and every other component. No glue, no security screws, etc. It's so simple inside, a normal person can tell what is what and repairs are cheap because you don't have to remove everything to access things. Remember when Apple let you upgrade your RAM? And your hard drive? And your CPU? And when things were attached with screws and fasteners, rather than glue? Wow. It's hard to believe that such a time existed, but it's true.

And despite all this, the machine has a smaller footprint than the current Mac Mini.

Safari and Chrome load instantly, Spotlight is instant, and everything works as you'd expect.

Oh and Snow Leopard has Spaces, you can arrange them any way you like, in a square shape or whatever makes sense, rather than having them all lined up in a single row like in Mission Control. You can even set up a shortcut to see all your spaces at once, with all your windows to quickly find what you're looking for. You can't do that in Mission Control, you have to swipe through each desktop one by one to find what you're looking for.

Screen shot 2018-06-12 at 5.26.47 PM.png

The only problem is that websites no longer support Snow Leopard and keep reminding you about it (not that there's anything you can do), and it's hard to find software that runs on it. But this is due to companies removing support for it, rather than the machine itself.

It was just interesting to look back into the past and to see that I'm not going crazy: Apple did used to build good stuff, with durability and serviceability in mind. It wasn't always how it is today, that even the smallest repairs can't be done at home and cost so much that it's easier to just buy a new one.

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
Pure speculation on my part - I don't have any inside knowledge.

In terms of software, look up Avie Tevanian. It seems Apple software has not been as special since he left. It may have been his ability and capability or it may be that the people that have replaced him did not have the same stature in the company as he did and thus have been on the losing side of the software quality vs. marketing battles. It's probably a combination of the two.

Reactions: Partron22

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
I still use my 2005 regularly.
Still boots fast, and runs iTunes, Libre Office etc quickly. OS 10.5.
Won't be tossing it till it blows a few too many transistors.

OLDCODGER

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
Lucky Country
Still running SL on my 9 y. o. Mini, with Firefox 48 handling most sites well, and Epic 49 handling the awkward ones - although it is a ram hog.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Everyone knows that Snow Leopard was the best OS ever. It's been nothing but a downhill slide since. But I have a 2007 mini too, and it's weak link was that horrible GMA 950 graphics chip. Horrible. When my 2007 died, I got a 2010 (a couple years ago) and that mini is the last one that can run SL- and the interface is so quick and fluid. It's great. I have a SSD in it with a dual bootable OS— El Crapitan. It's appalling how lame it is compared to SL. Progress. Apple style.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.