Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rubycon22000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2020
United Kingdom
Hi,
I recently upgraded from a Mac pro 3,1 to a 5,1. On the old 3,1 the FireWire audio on my Saffire Pro 40 was fairly stable in big sur and Monterey, but on the 5,1 I can’t get any audio out at all. The sound module is detected, and audio IN works fine but not out.

I also have an old dosdude patched Catalina install and the audio works just fine on the 5,1 with that.

Firmware is fully patched 144 and I’m using opencore legacy patcher 6.1.

Can anyone suggest what is wrong, and a possible solution?

Aside from the audio, everything else is working fine.

Mac Pro 5,1 2.8ghz single processor 4 core. NVMe drive.

Thanks

Steve

MrScratchHook

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2022
United States
Hi,
I recently upgraded from a Mac pro 3,1 to a 5,1. On the old 3,1 the FireWire audio on my Saffire Pro 40 was fairly stable in big sur and Monterey, but on the 5,1 I can’t get any audio out at all. The sound module is detected, and audio IN works fine but not out.

I also have an old dosdude patched Catalina install and the audio works just fine on the 5,1 with that.

Firmware is fully patched 144 and I’m using opencore legacy patcher 6.1.

Can anyone suggest what is wrong, and a possible solution?

Aside from the audio, everything else is working fine.

Mac Pro 5,1 2.8ghz single processor 4 core. NVMe drive.

Thanks

Steve
On a 5,1 anything past catalina will not support firwire. its basically dead, the only way i got my digi 003 firwire to half work was to upgrade my mojave disk to big sur with the 003 driver already there, i could get sound and input sound but my motorized faders wouldnt work. i eventually erased that mojave drive, reinstalled bigsur and tried to install the digi 003 drivers and it just wouldnt take. you need a new usb/usbc interface

prefuse07

Suspended
Jan 27, 2020
San Francisco, CA
According to THIS it seems apple may have restored FW with Monterey? *shrug*

I no longer have a FW Interface to test on my 5,1, but if someone running Monterey can try it, perhaps it may work if you are running Monterey 12.5 or newer?

Can anyone here running Monterey on a 4,1 or 5,1 try connecting a FW interface and confirm?

• Wow
Reactions: MrScratchHook

tommy chen

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2018
firewire work well on monterey
(also under big sur)

Screenshot 2023-02-25 at 04.03.36.jpg

MrScratchHook

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2022
United States
yes, the problem with audio interfaces are the drivers that are no longer suitable for these systems.
im curious to see if the digi 003 drivers will work with monterey i actually never tried, but the sad fact is i sold it because it wouldnt work in big sur, but if the driver works in monterey i will be SUPERMAD!!!! although i went and bought a volt 476 which works good, but still:mad:

prefuse07

Suspended
Jan 27, 2020
San Francisco, CA
@tommy chen thanks for confirming!

I know MOTU and RME consistently update their drivers so there is a high chance that their FW interfaces still work, but not sure about Focusrite...

Update: OP -- I have found your solution, check THIS OUT (scroll down to Saffire)

Rubycon22000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2020
United Kingdom
Thanks for all they replies so far. They are appreciated. I’d just like to reiterate that the Saffire pro 40 driver was working in big sur and Monterey (and to a lesser degree Ventura) (after registering the kext on the security screen) on the macpro 3,1 I was running with opencore legacy 6.1. It’s just that I can’t make it work on the 5,1 even though I thought it was largely the same. I was hoping for some sort of open core setting I missed. I know the Saffire is no longer officially supported, but I’d like to avoid scrapping a very capable sound device if I can.

prefuse07

Suspended
Jan 27, 2020
San Francisco, CA
Thanks for all they replies so far. They are appreciated. I’d just like to reiterate that the Saffire pro 40 driver was working in big sur and Monterey (and to a lesser degree Ventura) (after registering the kext on the security screen) on the macpro 3,1 I was running with opencore legacy 6.1. It’s just that I can’t make it work on the 5,1 even though I thought it was largely the same. I was hoping for some sort of open core setting I missed. I know the Saffire is no longer officially supported, but I’d like to avoid scrapping a very capable sound device if I can.
Really hoping you read what I posted above.... Even though it's d/c, it does still work, so I will ask again:
  1. Do you have Saffire Mix Control 3.9 installed on the 5,1?
  2. Are you running Monterey (with OCLP 0.6.1) on the 5,1?

Screenshot 2023-02-25 at 6.19.44 PM.png

Last edited:

Rubycon22000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2020
United Kingdom
Really hoping you read what I posted above.... Even though it's d/c, it does still work, so I will ask again:
  1. Do you have Saffire Mix Control 3.9 installed on the 5,1?
  2. Are you running Monterey (with OCLP 0.6.1) on the 5,1?

View attachment 2164583
Sorry, yes for clarification, I’ve seen that compatibility list on the website before. I was using the 3.9 mix control and OCLP 6.1 on both the 3,1 and the 5,1. It got it working in big sur and Monterey on the3,1, but not on the 5,1. The module is recognised in mix control on both systems, and sound input works in both systems, but sound output only works on the 3,1. The Safffire output device appears in the list, but there is no sound.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
You'll have a better chance of help with this issue going to the OCLP Discord server and asking for help there, OCLP devs do not read random threads here.

Rubycon22000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2020
United Kingdom
To add some further info, the module didn’t like coming out of sleep mode on the 3,1. It would have this same behaviour so I disabled the auto sleep as a workaround. But that solution is not working on the 5,1.

Rubycon22000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2020
United Kingdom
So, after a couple of months of experimentation I've managed to get the Saffire pro working fairly consistently on the 5,1 - if I do certain things in a certain order, and I don't know why.. lol.

1. First I must boot into Monterey. Soundcard output won't work but is detected just fine. FW active light comes on.

2. Next as I have a dual boot system under OCLP 6.2, I boot into my windows 11 install (which works just fine, even the sound card works fine).

3. If I boot into Monterey now it almost always works fine, and if it does it will work flawlessly.

I'll keep experimenting...

It works in Ventura as well under the same conditions.

I've tried bypassing step 1 to save time but that didn't work.

My graphic card is a gtx680 2gb, so I'm using the OCLP provided driver.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrScratchHook

MrScratchHook

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2022
United States
So, after a couple of months of experimentation I've managed to get the Saffire pro working fairly consistently on the 5,1 - if I do certain things in a certain order, and I don't know why.. lol.

1. First I must boot into Monterey. Soundcard output won't work but is detected just fine. FW active light comes on.

2. Next as I have a dual boot system under OCLP 6.2, I boot into my windows 11 install (which works just fine, even the sound card works fine).

3. If I boot into Monterey now it almost always works fine, and if it does it will work flawlessly.

I'll keep experimenting...

It works in Ventura as well under the same conditions.

I've tried bypassing step 1 to save time but that didn't work.

My graphic card is a gtx680 2gb, so I'm using the OCLP provided driver.
unfortunately thats the drawback of upgrading past a macos thats fully compatible. you have to live with those results

Hopeman_2023

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2022
Barcelona-Ibiza-Canbrigde
I'm in the same situation as you, did anyone find the soulicon? apparently the patches are defective and leave the mac unusable
It is better to continue with the old version and all its functionalities than to update and be left without wifi, firewire, usb in some cases

miguelcobain

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2023
I'm on the same boat, apparently.

My Saffire Pro 40 is detected correctly, input and output.
Inputs work fine. But the MixControl can't get any audio from any DAW, so the device can't output any audio.

Feels like there's some thing stopping the audio out.
I've read and tried some things about adding an AppleFWAudio.kext, but it didn't work.

It's really a shame. They're really good devices.

montesumolo

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2023
I was able to fix it!

What did the trick for me was following this guide: https://elitemacx86.com/threads/how...rite-and-apogee-audio-interface-on-macos.760/

I didn't need the whole DMAR section, though.
I already had enabled VT-d in BIOS, so I think what probably did the trick was to disable `DisableIoMapper` in config.plist.
I also reset NVRAM a couple of times.

Best of luck!
Hello!
I can confirm that it works also for me with a Saffire Pro 40 Firewire Interface on Monterey and Ventura with DisableIOMapper - false/disabled, VT-d - enabled in BIOS. For Re-installing the drivers you might disable SIP to let the kexts install and register, you may enable it again after installation.

Still have to do some restarts and cold-boots to verify completely - but for no it seems to work.

tiagoc

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2024
Hi, I have the same problem. Mac pro 3.1, Big Sur, opencore 1.3.0 saffire pro 40, connected but no sound output. Has anyone made any progress?

GaborS

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2024
Hi,
I faced with same problem.
Please let me know if i can help with anything to get a resolution in this case.

BR,
GáborS

GaborS

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2024
Hello!
I can confirm that it works also for me with a Saffire Pro 40 Firewire Interface on Monterey and Ventura with DisableIOMapper - false/disabled, VT-d - enabled in BIOS. For Re-installing the drivers you might disable SIP to let the kexts install and register, you may enable it again after installation.

Still have to do some restarts and cold-boots to verify completely - but for no it seems to work.
Hi,

I use Mac Pro 5,1 with open core, where can i do this config?

Thank you for your help!

BR,
GáborS

diamondj421

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2020
Baltimore, MD
Any updates on this? I'm assuming the two that got it working are on Hackintoshes because I can't seem to find any info on changing the VT-d on a cMP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.