Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I was recently shooting some of the Olympic landmarks around town and was left wanting a wider-angle lens, so I inquired with my local pro shop that rents lenses who had a Sigma 10-20. I went out one evening and was surprised how versatile a lens like this really was...

p385183639-3.jpg

10mm lets you get very close to large objects yet incorporate tons of background

p233225496-3.jpg

14mm still covers an absurd amount of area

I decided that I need to extend my range on the wide end and started looking into the alternatives. I read numerous reviews that all praised the Canon EFS 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 and the Tokina 11-16mm f2.8. The Sigma was also considered a decent contender and my experience with it was nothing less than very satisfying. However, I was a bit partial to the Canon for the focal range and the sharpness and flare resistance lauded by many reviewers. Since I couldn't imagine shooting at wide apertures with this lens, the appeal of the Tokina's max aperture of f2.8 held little value. There's also the emotional attachment (irrational or otherwise) to a Canon branded lens and the difficulty in even finding the Tokina that narrowed it down to Canon's EFS 10-22mm.

When a 6 month old sample came available on CL for a good price, I jumped on it.

p346276814-3.jpg

The addition of this lens really complements my 17-55 and 70-300 providing me with a full array of focal lengths from 10-300mm or 16-480mm equivalent on my crop-body DSLR. :D

The Canon 10-22 is constructed almost identically to the 17-55mm f2.8. It's a bit smaller but a LOT lighter. It uses the same 77mm filter size which may be handy for those who use filters. It lacks IS, which is probably not a bad thing, except that it will require more tripod use.

It's interesting to note that the field-of-view of the average human eye is about 160-degrees... amazing really. The fact that this lens has a 107-degree field -of-view at 10mm is remarkable. It comes as close as possible to covering what you can actually see from where you stand. And in my observation, I would say it covers what I normally consider my active field of view, that is, not including my peripheral vision. Here's a perfect example, this image captures my office perfectly as you enter...

p359891793-3.jpg

My office at 10mm: just as it would appear as you walk into the room

It seems ideal for capturing interior spaces. It's also great for capturing very large nearby objects in full... and while I've read this on numerous sites, it really is best to get closer to your subject with this lens (as with the Inukshuk pictured at the top of this post).

p44114701-3.jpg

Great for capturing the full extent of large subjects with someone nearby for scale

Of course, with such a wide field of view, you really need to take care with composure. Watch where your shadow is, your tripod legs, and what may not be visible in your cursed (less than 100%) viewfinder... is it really that difficult or expensive to include a full 100% viewfinder in a budget DSLR?

p201996593-3.jpg

Great for city architecture - this one taken from directly under the cherry trees

The bottom line is that I would highly recommend a wide angle zoom to anyone who's already got their other top-priority focal lengths covered, this can open up a whole new world of photographic opportunities. :)

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
The bottom line is that I would highly recommend a wide angle zoom to anyone who's already got their other top-priority focal lengths covered, this can open up a whole new world of photographic opportunities. :)

Roger that. Actually just bought one earlier today. :)

LOVE your office! The fireplace by the desk...:::drool::: I could work very happily in a space like that. Well, except that having a window behind your monitors is not good for your eyes (any window should be at a 90-degree angle to your monitors). :cool: :D

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
I had a lot of fun with a 30D, 10-22mm & 50mm 1.8 a few years ago when I was back home in Sydney, borrowed my friends gear and rarely thought I needed more than 50mm. Horses for courses, you can be surprised how much some of this wide angles can do (even if on a crop) if you subject matter is compatable.

Btw, you might want to consider adjusting the upper right end of your mini blinds in your office, they sag a bit :) :D

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Btw, you might want to consider adjusting the upper right end of your mini blinds in your office, they sag a bit :) :D

LOL! I'm just glad everyone missed the dust on the picture frame! :eek: :)

It is a great environment to work in... especially during the rainy days here.

Thanks for all the other positive comments. It would be nice to see more active participation in this forum. I'm always surprised to see the MacRumor's thread list indicate there are 100+ people viewing this forum, but then find that only 10-20 regulars actually post in here. There's a huge lurker component here... perhaps just visitors to the POTD forums? :confused:

Kronie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2008
I REALLY liked my 10-22/17-55 combo when I had a 40D. The 10-22 I recommend over other UWA's.

Whats better though is the 5D MK2 and a 17-40/24-105 combo that I have now.....

.....except I still miss the 2.8 of my 17-55 sometimes...

mattyb240

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2008
UWA or a nice L telephoto will be my next purchase…..when those two overdrafts of mine are payed off! Damn you student lifestyle!

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I REALLY liked my 10-22/17-55 combo when I had a 40D. The 10-22 I recommend over other UWA's.

Whats better though is the 5D MK2 and a 17-40/24-105 combo that I have now.....

.....except I still miss the 2.8 of my 17-55 sometimes...

I'm in such a quandary about that last part. I still have no equivalent of the 17-55 for my 5D Mark II. The 24-105 isn't as fast or as sharp, and the 24-70 isn't stabilized. :( Fortunately, I still have the 17-55 and an APS-C camera, so all is not lost.

There is a rumor that Canon will be coming out with a 14-24 f/2.8L this year. I would LOVE for that rumor to come true. However, the rumor I like even better predicts a 24-70 f/2.8L IS...fingers crossed...

NathanCH

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2007
Vancouver, BC
Wow VirtualRain... I love your photos. Unfortunately I have nothing to add to this thread because I know nothing about lenses.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
However, the rumor I like even better predicts a 24-70 f/2.8L IS...fingers crossed...

It's very surprising that Canon has not come out with this a while ago.

The lenses available in EFS format are actually very nice with the very affordable but still capable kit lens and the admittedly expensive but excellent 10-22mm and 17-55mm lenses.

runlsd

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2009
Nice shots around our beautiful city.

Would love a wide angle lens again some day. Currently oogling the Panasonic 7-14mm.

Abraxsis

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2003
Kentucky
Just wanted to mention the Tokina 12-24mm f/4 DX PRO for those on a crop body looking for an excellent wide angle for a good price. I've had mine for less than a week and I have shot with it like crazy.

(the 80-200 f/2.8 that arrived in the same shipping box isn't half bad either, lol)

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Nice thread on an great subject. I really do enjoy the shots you did with your wide angle. I'll be the second one here to suggest to those looking at wide-angle zooms to also compare the Tokina 12-24 f/4 as an alternative to the aforementioned Tokina 11-16. It's a real sharp lens, built seriously like a pro lens (metal barrel and hefty, substantial feel, with very smooth zoom and focus ring action,) and the range is really useful with the 24mm long end getting more use than I might have thought. The 12mm wide end is really seriously wide... equivalent to 18mm on full-frame on Nikon (not sure exactly on Canon.) For $500 new and $350 used it's a bargain. But regardless of what lens you end up with, I agree with VirtualRain that it's worth it to pick up a wide-angle zoom sooner rather than later.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
LOL! I'm just glad everyone missed the dust on the picture frame!

what dusts ;)

Dammit, now I'm even more tempted to get the 14-24 after the 70-200 VR II. I used to want the 24-70 but I met some other wedding photographers and they say in real use, they usually don't use that range often (reff to 24-70). It's either super wide or super long and so far I've been using my 18-50 at both extremes more often then somewhere in the middle. Besides, I am likely to partner with my buddy who already owns a 24-70 + 70-200 VR I during weddings.

Once I got those 2 lens, I'll grab the D700 replacement and will finally own 2 bodies which is the "standard" for wedding photography I suppose :rolleyes:

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
Thank you for posting these, VR. Lovely photos! Were they all taken with the Sigma you rented or are some taken with your new Canon 10-22?

I've not had my XSi/450D very long so I'm not in the market for new lenses yet. I'd always thought I might get a longer lens first but after seeing your thread I'm not so sure. No hurry. *Repeating to myself*

I will learn to take better pictures before buying new lenses.
I will learn to take better pictures before buying new lenses.
I will learn to take better pictures before buying new lenses . . .

I've noticed how many 'lurkers' there are here too, and I've only recently been posting more regularly in this forum myself. Wish I'd done it before. It's a good forum. Everyone is honest but kind and encouraging and being comparatively small you feel you get to know people. I had a look at a forum that someone linked to the other day but I didn't feel the slightest urge to join in or post. There were thousands of pictures on there and they all seemed a bit, well, just posted, if you get what I mean.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
The first two were taken with the Sigma rental which prompted me to buy my own. The rest were taken with the Canon 10-22mm this past weekend and so don't really measure up in terms of subject matter as I was limited in time to seek out great ways to demo the capability of the lens.

I get what people say about taking better pictures before upgrading your equipment, but I don't feel that way. I upgraded my lenses within a month of buying my camera and it made a huge difference in my results... so much so, that it really encouraged me to get out there and explore different shots and push my skills.

It's also very satisfying to have gear that enables you to get great images when you have no choice but to take snap-shots because of your environment/situation. Sure, anyone can get great results with nearly any camera/lens when equipped with a tripod and an hour to tweak composure and take numerous test shots, but you don't always have that luxury. That's a great instance where good gear can help a LOT. AF accuracy and speed, image stabilization, fast lenses, and high ISO performance are all features that enable better picture taking under "duress". :)

As with any hobby or sport, great gear doesn't make you great, but it enables you to get great easier/faster (I think).

fridgeymonster3

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2008
Philadelphia
The first two were taken with the Sigma rental which prompted me to buy my own. The rest were taken with the Canon 10-22mm this past weekend and so don't really measure up in terms of subject matter as I was limited in time to seek out great ways to demo the capability of the lens.

I get what people say about taking better pictures before upgrading your equipment, but I don't feel that way. I upgraded my lenses within a month of buying my camera and it made a huge difference in my results... so much so, that it really encouraged me to get out there and explore different shots and push my skills.

It's also very satisfying to have gear that enables you to get great images when you have no choice but to take snap-shots because of your environment/situation. Sure, anyone can get great results with nearly any camera/lens when equipped with a tripod and an hour to tweak composure and take numerous test shots, but you don't always have that luxury. That's a great instance where good gear can help a LOT. AF accuracy and speed, image stabilization, fast lenses, and high ISO performance are all features that enable better picture taking under "duress". :)

As with any hobby or sport, great gear doesn't make you great, but it enables you to get great easier/faster (I think).

I agree with you there. Man, I've wanted a wide angle lens for a while and this is making me want one more! I guess I'll just have to settle for the 15mm width on my 15-85 IS until I can justify the purchase of a 10-22 or Tokina 11-16 :). I really have to save up some money for the 10-22 and then a 100-400L or sigma 150-500 OS. Hobbies become expensive don't they after awhile!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.