Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heyisti

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2010
use to have that 10-22, play with it for a few month then sold it and got the 24mm L. fun lenses

qveda

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2008
I'm about to buy a T2i body and get a better-than-kit lens(es) for it.

Ideally, for my shooting, I'd like to cover the 35mm equiv. of 24-200mm with very good quality (can't afford L or top quality yet). This comes out to ~ 15 - 125mm in 1.6 crop. Any good single lenses that cover this range?

If I had to go with 2 lenses, I might go a little wider.

No one on this thread mentioned the Canon 18-200 EF-S. Opinions? recommendations ?

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
The 15-85 is supposed to be a very good lens if you can sacrifice a bit on the telephoto end. Otherwise the 18-135 may be a good choice.

Here's a thread that reviews all these options back when I was in the market for a good all-purpose lens...
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/844072/

I ultimately ended up with the three lenses you see in the OP.

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
I've not had my XSi/450D very long so I'm not in the market for new lenses yet. I'd always thought I might get a longer lens first but after seeing your thread I'm not so sure. No hurry. *Repeating to myself*

I will learn to take better pictures before buying new lenses.
I will learn to take better pictures before buying new lenses.
I will learn to take better pictures before buying new lenses . . .

Just wait until you have the money to buy just one new L lens.... oh the torment and pain of trying to decide which one is the best purchase for you :)

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
I get what people say about taking better pictures before upgrading your equipment, but I don't feel that way. I upgraded my lenses within a month of buying my camera and it made a huge difference in my results... so much so, that it really encouraged me to get out there and explore different shots and push my skills.

It's also very satisfying to have gear that enables you to get great images when you have no choice but to take snap-shots because of your environment/situation. Sure, anyone can get great results with nearly any camera/lens when equipped with a tripod and an hour to tweak composure and take numerous test shots, but you don't always have that luxury. That's a great instance where good gear can help a LOT. AF accuracy and speed, image stabilization, fast lenses, and high ISO performance are all features that enable better picture taking under "duress". :)

As with any hobby or sport, great gear doesn't make you great, but it enables you to get great easier/faster (I think).

I noticed that 'everyone' was saying wait until you've shot 1000 pictures, or some such figure, then you'll know which lens you need, and then the next minute you had a new lens in your arsenal!

I don't know at the moment whether I'd like to get a longer, shorter or just better lens. Besides, given I've just changed my car in the same month I bought my camera, I'd better continue dreaming on for a while! :)

Just wait until you have the money to buy just one new L lens.... oh the torment and pain of trying to decide which one is the best purchase for you :)

Sounds as though you've experienced it. It must have been agony for you. :D

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Here's some more fun at 10mm through a tunnel...

p1010592279-4.jpg

seedster2

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
NYC
Nice thread on an great subject. I really do enjoy the shots you did with your wide angle. I'll be the second one here to suggest to those looking at wide-angle zooms to also compare the Tokina 12-24 f/4 as an alternative to the aforementioned Tokina 11-16. It's a real sharp lens, built seriously like a pro lens (metal barrel and hefty, substantial feel, with very smooth zoom and focus ring action,) and the range is really useful with the 24mm long end getting more use than I might have thought. The 12mm wide end is really seriously wide... equivalent to 18mm on full-frame on Nikon (not sure exactly on Canon.) For $500 new and $350 used it's a bargain. But regardless of what lens you end up with, I agree with VirtualRain that it's worth it to pick up a wide-angle zoom sooner rather than later.

absolutely spot on. The Tokina is a bargain. The first non-kit lens I ever had and I nabbed a razor sharp copy. Now looking to get the 14-24mm

VR - nice pics. Love the first one and the shot from what appears to be an M

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
The lenses available in EFS format are actually very nice with the very affordable but still capable kit lens and the admittedly expensive but excellent 10-22mm and 17-55mm lenses.

A bit off-topic I'm afraid, but I wondered what you think to the handling when you have the 17-55 lens on the T1i. It's a relatively hefty lens for its size on a relatively light camera. Do they balance out well? Just adding to my information arsenal for the future. :)

Sorry I can't add any pics to the thread, not having an UWA lens.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
A bit off-topic I'm afraid, but I wondered what you think to the handling when you have the 17-55 lens on the T1i. It's a relatively hefty lens for its size on a relatively light camera. Do they balance out well? Just adding to my information arsenal for the future. :)

Sorry I can't add any pics to the thread, not having an UWA lens.

The lens is big on a Rebel body, but it actually handles well. I can still hold the camera in one hand by the grip and pull it in/out of my bag as such as well.

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
how freaky i come across this thread, as i have literally reserved the 10-22 to rent over easter weekend! :)

i currently have the 450D with the 17-85mm and 60mm macro lenses.

i find the 17-85 doesn't really give me a good enough performance indoors and taking photo's of moving objects (kids) indoors...

so i am renting the 17-55 f2.8 and i thought about the ultra wide too.. which is why i'm renting the 10-22mm too :)

i'm glad i made wise choices...

hope the daffodils come out soon :)

if they fit my needs, i might have to dump the 17-85 for the 17-55 (i know someone selling at a bargain price) and also opt for the 10-22 too..

ideally i want something longer than 55mm (hence why i opted for the 17-85)... but it's just not producing the images i need... maybe canon will come out with something that's a bit longer than 17-55 but keeping the same 2.8 and optical quality of it..

i shall definitely be snapping away once they arrive and will post some pics up in here :)

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
The lens is big on a Rebel body, but it actually handles well. I can still hold the camera in one hand by the grip and pull it in/out of my bag as such as well.

Thanks! :)

if they fit my needs, i might have to dump the 17-85 for the 17-55 (i know someone selling at a bargain price) and also opt for the 10-22 too..

Unless you've already got the kit lens it might be worth keeping it as a spare. Also do you know you won't want anything just that bit longer than 55 mm?

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
Unless you've already got the kit lens it might be worth keeping it as a spare. Also do you know you won't want anything just that bit longer than 55 mm?

i don't have the kit (18-55)... i bought the 17-85mm...

and yes, i did already say :

ideally i want something longer than 55mm (hence why i opted for the 17-85)... but it's just not producing the images i need...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.