Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
well I say adventure... today me and my mate Adam caught a bus to Dovestones, a series of reservoirs that are just stunning. Set amongst the backdrop of the moors its a really epic place to be.

We set off at about 1pm. got the bus, realised I hadn't eaten yet so we went to this little shop to stock up on energy and all that. nothing really happened at all for a while, walked up to the 3rd reservoir on the left (if you know Dovestones you'll know it has 2 main routes). The sun was just setting over the hilltops making for some good photographs. So we reach the end of the path, which is a kind of mini plateau. climbed over some kind of old bridge and headed to the left gorge. I put the camera away here so this part is undocumented but it was just stunning.
We climbed upwards along the river and got to another fork in the hills. turned left only to realise that there was a fog floating in from the moors and it was getting a bit dark. so we scrambled up for a good 10 minutes, climbing up up a cliff face. got to the top. I was just amazed at the landscape. I've never been somewhere so enormous and open and to see no houses or cars or people. So we headed towards the road just over the horizon - turned back to see a beautiful sight; the fog flowing down the hill into the lakes below. thankfully the camera picked up a decent image even in very low light.

So we climbed down, got the bus home. spent an hour churning through RAW files picking the best ones for this gallery :)

My 4gb microdrive arrived the other day for my camera. I was very chuffed :cool: first real shots with my Canon 350D

http://satansam.co.uk/dovestones2

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Is it the crappy, dull, washed out LCD of my rev B 12" PowerBook, or are a few of the colours in those photos washed out? Maybe it wasn't a well-lit day or something. I dunno. Or maybe this is what happens when you shoot in RAW (ie: it IS washed out, but RAW lets you edit and process them afterwards to get the best out of the photo?)???? :confused:

Anyway, the large majority of those photos turned out great, and now I really really really wish I had a 350D or Nikon of some sort.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Very nice...especially since it was a Canon. :p

The shots do look a bit gray. Typical cloudiness, perhaps?

I hope that you enjoyed yourself.

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
Abstract said:
Is it the crappy, dull, washed out LCD of my rev B 12" PowerBook, or are a few of the colours in those photos washed out? Maybe it wasn't a well-lit day or something. I dunno. Or maybe this is what happens when you shoot in RAW (ie: it IS washed out, but RAW lets you edit and process them afterwards to get the best out of the photo?)???? :confused:

Anyway, the large majority of those photos turned out great, and now I really really really wish I had a 350D or Nikon of some sort.

I think the nature of the shot in some of those photos lends to being a bit washed out. Shooting across open spaces onto hillsides with clouds and such...it's always been a bit dull for me until PS messed with it.

Nice shots raggedjimmi, looks like a very fun time.

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
You have some really nice shots there.

The only thing I don't like is that on your website, the pictures aren't scaled to fit my screen (12" PB) so I had to scroll down and sideways to see the picture -and the thumbnails were too small, so I never really could get the whole picture.

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
njmac said:
You have some really nice shots there.

The only thing I don't like is that on your website, the pictures aren't scaled to fit my screen (12" PB) so I had to scroll down and sideways to see the picture -and the thumbnails were too small, so I never really could get the whole picture.

I would have to agree with this coming from a smaller screen....looking at the resolution of those images even a 15"PB would have to scroll, not to mention your bandwidth is going to run dry pretty quick having people view 1MB+ images in a gallery like that. Perhaps you don't care, just an fyi I suppose.

If you are concerned with it, you could try lowering the resolution of the image to 72dpi, and perhaps 1024x768 or 1280x1024/960. That should save space and allow the images to be viewed much easier while still being large enough to show solid detail.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.