Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
It's possible to adjust the node size by reducing the cube faces in CubicConverter. I usually take them down to 1024 which keeps my QTVR nodes <= 500K.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
ahh it finilly worked don't know what was wrong...
anyway, nice place iGary, the lounge chair looks comfy... is it?

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
Just found out - the OS X 10.4.6 update breaks CubicConverter. From Michael Bradshaw the developer...
After a few hours debugging, it looks to be quite a serious problem.

It is associated with using "vecLib" - which is Apple's library of math function for using AltiVec (G4) acceleration to speed things up - in a CodeWarrior project, which is what the CubicConverter 2.x is. (v3.0 has moved to Xcode.)

I'm blaming Apple, of course, since it's their update that broke it! I've reported it as a bug, so we'll see what happens.

In the meantime I've created a temporary fix by disabling AltiVec. It is available here:
http://www.clickheredesign.com/downloads/

Feel free to pass this info on to anyone you know might be affected.

Regards,

Michael.

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Cooknn said:
Just found out - the OS X 10.4.6 update breaks CubicConverter. From Michael Bradshaw the developer...

Yikes. This 10.4.6 update will go down as the update that broke everything. :eek:

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Thanks, yeah, I was actually getting pretty frustrated with the calibration process, so I laid it down for a month, and then just did another, which is perfect.

I can now take the rig anywhere, shoot seven pictures and then stitch them on the laptop in minutes (well 16 to be exact - I need a PB).

It's an expensive rig ($1600.00 with lens and head), but you can quickly make that up shooting them. I'm really enjoying it, and so are my clients. :D

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
iGary said:
Well, imagine six of those taped images around OK?

Now with a 180 degree field of view. there is a bunch of overlap between each image. I'll let Q d the math™.

So in PTMac, the program shows an image, and the one next to it (envision the picture above divided into six pieces). So say you have image 0 and image 1. Where those two meet (and all the others, too, there is an overlap area and you use the tape and corners to mark identical spots (control points) on each image, so the application knows what pixels "match," and where it should stitch them together.

You can see this below:

1.jpg

Ohhhhh, ok, I get it now. That's pretty awesome!

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Which camera and lens did you use?

I've wanted a quick solution for this sort of stuff for a while ... I have a 350D, but I'd need a lens to go with this thing. I've priced a few pano heads before, but none of them seem this well done.

$1000 is a lot, but you're right. That's pretty easily made up through local realtors and such.

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
ChrisBrightwell said:
Which camera and lens did you use?

I've wanted a quick solution for this sort of stuff for a while ... I have a 350D, but I'd need a lens to go with this thing. I've priced a few pano heads before, but none of them seem this well done.

$1000 is a lot, but you're right. That's pretty easily made up through local realtors and such.

I'd recommend the Sigma 8mm fisheye - 6 around, one up. Keeps the files to a minimum. The guys at Precision 360 are great. Thay also have a new US Distributor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.