Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jabbott

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2009
Thanks for the quick reply. :)

I am thinking of getting the refurb xs with bag and memory card for around $450...or refurb xsi for $500 with accessories.
I was wondering about the warranty of the refurb adorama products. I didn't find anywhere what warranty they offer on the refurb products. If its 3 months then there is no point as i would have to buy the extended warranty which will be stupid (IMO) as I can spend that money to buy a new one.
Can anyone confirm about the warranty of the adorama / bhphotovideo refurb cameras?
Both Adorama and B&H Photo and Video claim that used equipment comes with a 90-day warranty. I'm not sure if that includes refurb units or not, so you may want to email/call them to clarify.

Another option you may want to consider is the 30D, which is "only" 8 megapixels but it has a more rugged magnesium alloy body. Here is a forum that compares the 30D to the XSi. Looks like Adorama has an E- used model for $349 (body only). Pair that with an 18-55 IS for less than $100 and you are still under your budget. :)

ColorLuvvr

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2010
San Francisco, CA, USA
I really like Canon

Gotta say, my Canon dSLR's have never let me down.
darn good system, and as someone with the budget you quoted, you could find a new one Rebel. Or a used one from a trusted retailer (B&H is good)

The only thing I'd worry about with a Rebel is the plastic body on the lower-end models. I think it might actually behoove you to spend a little more and get a good quality metal body for your new camera. Wouldn't wanna accidentally crack it.

Whatever you choose, get something that you can upgrade later and still keep your favorite lenses.

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
Actually, the Rebel XSI (only reb i had) wasn't too cheaply built. It is a far cry from the original 300D, that is for sure. Definitely a noticeable difference between the XSi and the xxD bodies! I used my XSI for 6 months, no problems. I wouldn't probably use it (XSI) in the conditions i shoot now...

pukifloyd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Scottsdale
Thanks a lot for the tips guys...just ordered xs refurb from adorama
first dslr...pretty excited :)
also ordered the bag, 2X4gb cards, and a spare battery

can't wait for it to come!
i decided to save money and buy the xs as i can buy a lens a few months from now from that money and then upgrade the body maybe after 2 years.
thinking about buying a zoom lens (75-300mm)...can you guys recommend some? are tamaron lenses good? what about refurb lenses?:D

thanks a lot!

El Cabong

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2008
Bad advice. The D50 is completely outdated.

OP: go into a store, and look what you like best. With a Canon Rebel you can't really go wrong.

And I'm sure that the newer Nikons are equally well suited.

The newer Nikons have body-driven autofocus removed, which limits lens options for all those D40/60/3000/5000 owners out there, particularly for the 50mm f/1.8, an inexpensive but great lens. The difference in megapixels is trivial for a beginner, or for anyone not printing above 24x36" consistently. The savings had from buying used can be put towards a second lens or other equipment.

I'm not a Canon shooter, but I'm sure the Rebels/x00D's are great (the people I know who have them love them, although they're snapshooters). However, the same advice would apply; get a cheaper used body and save cash for another lens or towards other future purchases.

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
if you can fit this into your budget, i would get the 70-200 f/4L. They go for about $500 used. No lens touches this for price point, build quality and the image quality is superb for any price point!

Nostromo

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2009
Deep Space
The newer Nikons have body-driven autofocus removed, which limits lens options for all those D40/60/3000/5000 owners out there, particularly for the 50mm f/1.8, an inexpensive but great lens. The difference in megapixels is trivial for a beginner, or for anyone not printing above 24x36" consistently. The savings had from buying used can be put towards a second lens or other equipment.

I'm not a Canon shooter, but I'm sure the Rebels/x00D's are great (the people I know who have them love them, although they're snapshooters). However, the same advice would apply; get a cheaper used body and save cash for another lens or towards other future purchases.

So Nikon is still doing what they started it with the D40. That's not very good for someone who wants to upgrade to a higher-end body later. He has to give all the lenses away.

if you can fit this into your budget, i would get the 70-200 f/4L. They go for about $500 used. No lens touches this for price point, build quality and the image quality is superb for any price point!

Great lens. It's the non-IS version that retails for $ 613 at B&H.

For long lenses like this, the IS is recommended though. The 70-200/4 L IS seems to be one generation up.

The wonder is, that this lens is sharper than the much more expensive 70-200/2.8 L IS. Not to mention that it weighs only half.

gnd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
At my cat's house
So Nikon is still doing what they started it with the D40. That's not very good for someone who wants to upgrade to a higher-end body later. He has to give all the lenses away.

That is not true. Every higher-end Nikon body will work with every lens that works on a D40.
But since D40 (D60, D3000, D5000) doesn't have a built-in autofocus motor, non AF-S lenses will not autofocus on it. The lens itself will still work, you'd just have to focus manually.

Dave00

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2003
Pittsburgh
One important thing to consider is that it's not just the camera - it's the lenses and the LIGHTING. Indoor photos with an SLR and on-board flash are only marginally better than what you can achieve with a P&S. But add a flash that you can reflect off the wall or ceiling, and your jaw will drop at the quality difference. Best $100-odd bucks you can spend.

Choosing a system basically comes down to Nikon vs. Canon, if you're into asking questions of colleagues and want versatility. There are specific reasons to choose another company, but if you're not sure, it's probably better to stick with one of the two gorillas.

Lastly, keep in mind that even slow-action shots are going to require you to look through the viewfinder rather than the LCD; "Live" view still has a delay. This was a big adjustment for me, I hadn't used the viewfinder since migrating to digital cameras in 2001. Many cameras don't even have an LCD live view.

For what it's worth, as a DSLR neophyte, I got a Nikon D40 with 18-50 and 50-200VR lenses, as well as a speedlight SB400. I use the 18-50 kit lens almost exclusively, since my subject is usually my 18-month-old daughter. I couldn't be happier.

Dave

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC

Great lens. It's the non-IS version that retails for $ 613 at B&H.

For long lenses like this, the IS is recommended though. The 70-200/4 L IS seems to be one generation up.

The wonder is, that this lens is sharper than the much more expensive 70-200/2.8 L IS. Not to mention that it weighs only half.

They released the 70-200 2.8 IS MKII i believe. I have seen the 70-200 2.8 for like $1000 used. Any of those lenses are going to be top notch. I am unsure about IQ on the new ones. As stated, they were already amazing. I think they IS was re-worked though.

fuzzielitlpanda

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2008
any opinions on the nikon d3000 vs canon rebel xsi? i've narrowed my choice down to these two. it will be bought used

Nostromo

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2009
Deep Space
That is not true. Every higher-end Nikon body will work with every lens that works on a D40.
But since D40 (D60, D3000, D5000) doesn't have a built-in autofocus motor, non AF-S lenses will not autofocus on it. The lens itself will still work, you'd just have to focus manually.

Ah, I see.

But that's not a good thing. One way to get around budget problems to get a good lens and put it on a lesser body. That wouldn't work here.

I never owned a Rebel, but they have the same sensors as the prosumer DSLRs. So people can get good lenses and keep them and move up to better bodies.

They released the 70-200 2.8 IS MKII i believe. I have seen the 70-200 2.8 for like $1000 used. Any of those lenses are going to be top notch. I am unsure about IQ on the new ones. As stated, they were already amazing. I think they IS was re-worked though.

the 70-200/2.8 mk ii got released a few months ago. It's been improved over the mark i, and got more expensive.

Still, the f4 lenses are at least on par, if not better. What you are paying for is one more f-stop.

pukifloyd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Scottsdale
any opinions on the nikon d3000 vs canon rebel xsi? i've narrowed my choice down to these two. it will be bought used

did you mean rebel xs? because xsi is one better model than xs and its xs vs d3000 and xsi vs d5000

i prefer canon...don't know why...maybe because of the live view...
nikon is equally good...
go to a store(best buy?) and check them out yourself...buy whichever one fits better in your hands because xs has same features as the d3000 (except that d3000 doesn't have live view)

if you meant rebel xsi then obviously go for xsi rather than d3000...its better in a lot of ways (IMO).

cheers.

ps-thanks for all the help people...my rebel will arrive next monday(hopefully)...cant wait!

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
the 70-200/2.8 mk ii got released a few months ago. It's been improved over the mark i, and got more expensive.

Still, the f4 lenses are at least on par, if not better. What you are paying for is one more f-stop.

Yeah, I see that the 70-200mm 2.8 IS MKII is going for $2300 used, whereas the 70-200 2.8IS goes for about $1600ish. Crazy how much IS adds to the lens!

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
I would stick with either Nikon or Canon. Both are excellent cameras. I don't think you could go wrong with either of them. Let us know what you end up buying!

fuzzielitlpanda

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2008
did you mean rebel xs? because xsi is one better model than xs and its xs vs d3000 and xsi vs d5000

i prefer canon...don't know why...maybe because of the live view...
nikon is equally good...
go to a store(best buy?) and check them out yourself...buy whichever one fits better in your hands because xs has same features as the d3000 (except that d3000 doesn't have live view)

if you meant rebel xsi then obviously go for xsi rather than d3000...its better in a lot of ways (IMO).

cheers.

ps-thanks for all the help people...my rebel will arrive next monday(hopefully)...cant wait!

no, i meant xsi. After searching the net, a lot of people recommended those models for beginners. I decided to go with the xsi because it had a lot more positive reviews than the nikon. after bing cashback, mr rebates, and ebucks, I paid $427 for a refurb kit on ebay.

blackmtn

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2010
Northern British Columbia
For your price point, I vote a Pentax Kx.

I started on a Nikon D50 and got rid of it after 6 months of use because I found it to be an ergonomic nightmare. I find my step-dad's D300 to be even worse. His glass is also ridiculously expensive and while they do support older glass, it can be hard to figure out which lenses work.

Haven't owned a Canon, but have played with plenty of friends. Haven't ever felt right about one - they seem to neuter their products too much as well so they can have even more models than are possibly necessary. They do the same thing with lenses too.

After the D50 I bought a Pentax K10-D, which I absolutely loved. I had all kinds of old glass for it too - sometimes you can get wonderful finds for a fraction of what you would pay for a new lens. Best prime I owned was a Takumar 1.8 - nice solid metal build and the focus was incredibly smooth and damped. Sharp at 2.2! Now I have a K7 which I also like.

Like others have said though, try as many as you can in the store and see what feels comfortable and ergonomical to you - if you are spending all your time hunting through menus, you aren't getting the photos you would probably rather be taking!

Perrumpo

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2008
You won't find better features or a better camera in that price range than the Pentax K-x. It's winning Best Entry-Level DSLR EVERYWHERE. I researched for my first DSLR extensively, and it became quite clear that nothing beat the K-x in its price range. It even trumps several more expensive Canons and Nikons, etc. That's why I bought it. ;)

There's a reason Canon and Nikon have soooo many bodies to choose from. They're all different, which means they're all lacking something.... which means their entry-level cameras are lacking a lot. You will not find that problem with Pentax. The K-x is the way to go for you.

If you do end up getting one, it's useful to know that there are several type of manual lenses from the old cameras that are DIRT CHEAP and high quality. Lenses really add up in price, so it really pays off to go Pentax.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.