Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
How do you guys feel about the 135 f/2L?

Beautiful lens, really, really long fixed focal length on a crop body. You will need a lot of distance to get more than one person in. If you are thinking of going that route, you definitely need to carry two bodies as you will miss a lot of shots if that is the only lens you can use with a few seconds notice.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
In addition to what the others have been saying (backups, batteries, etc.), I second the advice to get a 50 mm f/1.4. A 135 mm f/2 on a crop body would already be very long, but perhaps useful in church during the ceremony. I used a 80-200 mm f/2.8 and the extra stop is going to help. Make sure to familiarize yourself with the `architecture' (since you're outside). In my case, there was a big column just at the right distance to take all the money shots at 150~200 mm. A tripod/monopod is extremely helpful. Since you didn't mention you had one, I suggest you rent/buy one.

I'd also suggest you tell them about your experience honestly. Don't be fooled into a false sense of security here: before they ceremony cheaper is better, but if you screw up (and we all know you won't :)), but if you do, then all this doesn't matter so much anymore. Also, talk to the couple in advance of what they except of you, what shots they'd like to have and such.

Other than that, on the day of the wedding, try to stay out of sight during the important moments (if possible). You're not a paparazzi! :D

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
You'll want a 35mm or 50mm on one of your cameras at all times. The other body can have a 70-200mm or a 135mm and you'll be covered.

I am looking to sell my mint 135mm f/2L if you're interested...PM me if so.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
In addition to renting a second body, you really should rent some better glass. Even though much will be outside, f/4 etc. doesn't usually cut it. You will want (read: the couple will want) pictures with nice background blur - and sharp group shots.

his lenses are fine. f/4 should be fine for an outdoor wedding, and he has lights if it's not. background blur is more of a function of focal length than f-stop.

As your first wedding, don't worry about profit - worry about getting it right. Brides/Grooms don't exactly like "doing it over" so equip yourself with the right equipment and then learn the trade.

"getting it right" has little to do with equipment. he has good lenses and he has lights. all that's left is experience.

Looks like im going to be exchanging my tamron 60 f/2 for a canon 50mm f/1.4... Wise decision?

I don't see the point. both are portrait lengths and somewhat restricted because of that. if you like 50mm better than 60mm, sure, but the 50 isn't a macro.

I would stick with the 60, just because I like the focal length better.

How do you guys feel about the 135 f/2L?

great lens, awkward focal length on APS-C.

MattSepeta

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 9, 2009
375th St. Y
Again,

Thanks again, just one more question....

I have narrowed the lens I am going to rent down to two choices... 24-70L, or 24-105L...

What are your opinions?

As of now I am leaning towards renting the 24-105L and keeping it on one body, and keeping my 60mm f/2 on the other body. Would that give me enough leeway to catch the spur of the moment shots?

Thanks!

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
I've plugged him here before, but if you want to see an excellent wedding photographer's work, check out this: http://www.blakemanphoto.com/blog/?cat=17

He's just 21, too.

I saw the 135L mentioned, and you should know that it may be the single best lens in Canon's arsenal. An 85mm 1.8 would come very close on a 1.6 crop to being a 135 equivalent.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.