Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flat4

Contributor
Jul 14, 2009
Works, but this one is a very oversize video card and when installed will block the PCIe slot-2:

View attachment 2376359

Any GPU that the heatsink is wider than the GPU PCIe slot bracket, easy to see with the photo above, will gonna block the PCIe slot-2.
Yep, a sapphire nitro + looks the same and it does block a port.
I am not using so I'm OK with it but if I need to expand I will have to get a pci expander (or whatever is called)

Raphaël10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2024
Ok, thanks for answers.
On gpu-zoo.com, it says 2 slots:
1715345175013.png

Maybe i should buy this one, because is more powerful than the classic one, but i have seen just one, and i think someone is buying it o_O😅😓...
Thanks for answers.

Raphaël10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2024
Hello, I finally got a discount on a Vega 56. I’m waiting for receive it. My only question : HOW can I do for power this graphic card ? I’ve search, but I don’t know if I need to do Pixlas mod or simply the 2x6 pin pcie will be enough…
Thanks.

jscipione

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2017
Hello, I finally got a discount on a Vega 56. I’m waiting for receive it. My only question : HOW can I do for power this graphic card ? I’ve search, but I don’t know if I need to do Pixlas mod or simply the 2x6 pin pcie will be enough…
Thanks.
The Vega 56 (like an RX590) required just over the power that a dual 6-pin adapter provides so you’ll either need to either do the Pixlas mod or steal some power from a sata connector. On some Vega 56 cards there is a low-power switch you can use to reduce the power draw at the expense of some performance. Note that a Vega 56 will mostly work but when under load it will draw too much power which causes shutdowns and could damage your main board.

To answer your original question (I want to know if I can flash it by myself to have a bootscreen?) I’d recommend flashing the enablegop patch to your SMC bios rom instead of buying a flashed video card to get bootscreen on a Vega 56 or other card.

sfalatko

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2016
The Vega 56 (like an RX590) required just over the power that a dual 6-pin adapter provides so you’ll either need to either do the Pixlas mod or steal some power from a sata connector. On some Vega 56 cards there is a low-power switch you can use to reduce the power draw at the expense of some performance. Note that a Vega 56 will mostly work but when under load it will draw too much power which causes shutdowns and could damage your main board.

To answer your original question (I want to know if I can flash it by myself to have a bootscreen?) I’d recommend flashing the enablegop patch to your SMC bios rom instead of buying a flashed video card to get bootscreen on a Vega 56 or other card.
Many people, myself included, use(d) an Vega 56 on the low power setting (low power vbios) with an EVGA Powerlink to balance the power from the two 6 pin adapters.

Last edited:

Raphaël10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2024
I'm not going to use it at 100% of her capacity. A lot of Music (Logic pro) and a little bit of video editing (final cut+Davinci resolve)
i have seen on Internet that :
The x16 pci slot give 75 watt of power supply
The x6 pcie pin give 75 watt of power supply (x2)
Total:225 watts.
On the AMD vega 56 page, It says : "Typical Board Power210W"
So i Think it will work for my usage without Pixlas Mod.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I'm not going to use it at 100% of her capacity. A lot of Music (Logic pro) and a little bit of video editing (final cut+Davinci resolve)
i have seen on Internet that :
The x16 pci slot give 75 watt of power supply

While the PCIe slot can provide up to 75W, no modern GPU (modern here as newer than RX 480) have a power draw greater than ~40W with the PCIe slot.

Just from this fact alone your idea is not gonna work.

The x6 pcie pin give 75 watt of power supply (x2)
Total:225 watts.
On the AMD vega 56 page, It says : "Typical Board Power210W"

210W without transient spikes, which account for ~320W - see tom's hardware tests.

Also, a VEGA 56 is a 8+6 pin GPU, you can't use two 6-pin connectors to power it, the 8-Pin connector will draw up to 150W.

So i Think it will work for my usage without Pixlas Mod.

Vega 56 require Pixla’s mod or at least an eVGA PowerLink. Anything else will have SMC emergency shutdowns off the Mac Pro PSU.

Raphaël10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2024
Aw.
What is an EVGA powerlink, and how much is ?
And can I find an Pixlas mod kit on Amazon ?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
What is an EVGA powerlink

Google is your friend:

Raphaël10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2024
Google is your friend:

Thanks.
What does this will bring for the graphics card in terms of power supply?

flat4

Contributor
Jul 14, 2009
Google is your friend:

Please school me,

how does the powerlink balance your power, from the video on EVGA site what it does it moved cables around to make it look better.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
eVGA PowerLink equally balances the power draw from both miniPCIe 6-pin power connectors, since internally to the PowerLink the inputs are linked and there are capacitors to smooth the transient spikes.

This is the reference thread about VEGA 56, eVGA PowerLink is discussed at length there:

mrkapqa

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
Italy, Bolzano/Bozen
powering the RX Vega 56 "abomination"like and i "know" that is playing with fire but for the moment it is OK since ia m not taxing the GPU in any way besides sometime geekbench test or luxmark;

have an Powerlink EVGA but this one is not compatible with the RX Vega 56 model that i have, so it is useless for me atm;

powering with a dual mini 6 pin to 8 pin + 8 pin to dual 6 + 8 pin extender cable; and for the most part it is stable; but i have had already shutdown when using some benchmark, for extended time, like unigine something probably, so it is not a stable situation, but for my usecases it is OK (would guess).

planning to do pixlas mod sometime soon, but for the meantime setup should be able continue handle basic task.

Raphaël10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2024
WHERE can i buy a pixlas mod kit ?
And if I make the pixlas modification will it affect my mac in any way?

Raphaël10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2024

read that
Done.
I’ll buy this, because on blog.greggant.com, there is that :
« There are Pixlas kits floating about, but the specialized cable Jay uses in his guide is often hard to acquire/out-of-stock/slow delivery. I used a generic set of T-taps I bought on Amazon.com and an 8-Pin Male to Dual 2X 8 Pin and cut the singular 8 pin end off and stripped the wire (the exact cable I used, but I'd recommend getting one that's a bit longer for a bit more flexibility). »

• Sad
Reactions: crjackson2134

flat4

Contributor
Jul 14, 2009
eVGA PowerLink equally balances the power draw from both miniPCIe 6-pin power connectors, since internally to the PowerLink the inputs are linked and there are capacitors to smooth the transient spikes.

This is the reference thread about VEGA 56, eVGA PowerLink is discussed at length there:

I bought one of these but apparently did not read between the lines that it works best with evga cards.

My sapphire did not work

Oh well

Attachments

• IMG_5250.jpeg
    IMG_5250.jpeg
    547.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5251.jpeg
    IMG_5251.jpeg
    365.4 KB · Views: 18

Raphaël10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2024
Hello.
I did the Pixlas Mod, it worked well with the Vega 56. After two days, i did the firmware uptdate to install Mojave. Unfortunately, i got a power cut in this moment. Now my mac pro didn't work. I can power him, but nothing on the screen. I've tried with the original card, but nothing as bad. The firmware is surely damaged.
Please Help me !!! Is my mac Pro Broken ?

Raphaël10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2024
I'm surely the unluckiest person on earth. What is a Matt Card and how much is ? (hard to find it on web) Is it easy to use ?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
You can get more info directly with cmizapper or read the post I did earlier today in the main BootROM thread answering to questions about it, use the search there for previous posts.

MATT cards are not plug and play, you'll need to flash your own Mac Pro BootROM to the card after you get your Mac Pro booting again. The mid-2010 BootROM flashed to it by cmizapper won't work for Apple services since is a clone widely used. So, you need the MATT card + the BootROM reconstruction service.

A replacement backplane or even a barebones Mac Pro will probably make more economical sense for some people.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.