Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

b06tmm

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2009
South Louisiana
In my experience FM modulators are a pain to use and the sound quality is lacking.

The one you link to only uses two frequencies, 87.9 MHz or 88.3 MHz. If you have any radio stations near those frequencies, it will not work well.

Good Luck!

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
Don't waste your money. I used an FM transmitter for a while a few years ago and it was straight-up garbage. You have to almost constantly adjust the thing and change frequencies and even so there's still static and interference.

For a little more money you could just get a deck that has a built-in 3.5mm or USB/iPod hookup.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130150MP/Pioneer-DEH-150MP.html?tp=5684

That's only 20 bucks more and you would be able to hard-wire your iPod straight into the deck through the headphone port.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
In my experience FM modulators are a pain to use and the sound quality is lacking.

The one you link to only uses two frequencies, 87.9 MHz or 88.3 MHz. If you have any radio stations near those frequencies, it will not work well.

Good Luck!

Don't waste your money. I used an FM transmitter for a while a few years ago and it was straight-up garbage. You have to almost constantly adjust the thing and change frequencies and even so there's still static and interference.

For a little more money you could just get a deck that has a built-in 3.5mm or USB/iPod hookup.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130150MP/Pioneer-DEH-150MP.html?tp=5684

That's only 20 bucks more and you would be able to hard-wire your iPod straight into the deck through the headphone port.

Ignore these two posts because they're wrong.

This is not your standard FM transmitter, which, you're both correct, are crap. This connects directly to the antenna jack on the back of your car's stereo, and then the antenna plugs into this - as does the source device such as a phone. When you turn it on, it cuts off the signal from the car's antenna and "broadcasts" (not really because there's no actual radio signal) the audio on one of those frequencies over the wire going into your car's radio. The car isn't receiving any other frequencies over the airwaves to interfere, and there's no actual wireless transmission taking place to be stepped on by other stations.

I've used these for satellite radio installs in a few cars, they work quite well. I don't know if it's as good as an AUX input (hard to judge with satellite since audio quality with it is sometimes lacking anyways) but it's not a bad way to add an AUX input without buying a new radio.

b06tmm

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2009
South Louisiana
yg17, thanks for correcting me in my assessment of the RF modulator, I didn't take the time to read the full specs of the product. What stuck out to me was the two RF frequencies used. I thought that a little strange but didn't question it further.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
This is not your standard FM transmitter, which, you're both correct, are crap. This connects directly to the antenna jack on the back of your car's stereo, and then the antenna plugs into this - as does the source device such as a phone. When you turn it on, it cuts off the signal from the car's antenna and "broadcasts" (not really because there's no actual radio signal) the audio on one of those frequencies over the wire going into your car's radio. The car isn't receiving any other frequencies over the airwaves to interfere, and there's no actual wireless transmission taking place to be stepped on by other stations.

I've used these for satellite radio installs in a few cars, they work quite well. I don't know if it's as good as an AUX input (hard to judge with satellite since audio quality with it is sometimes lacking anyways) but it's not a bad way to add an AUX input without buying a new radio.

I had an equivalent unit installed professionally in my last car. Although I was never completely satisfied with the quality, it was less expensive than replacing the head unit. I agree about satellite radio being a poor basis for comparison - I have SiriusXM in my current car, and the sound is so compressed that I rarely listen to music, mostly news, comedy, and other talk.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.