Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

munchmime

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2003
We are going to have sort of a different type of wedding this summer.
One weekend we are going to be married in a small ceremony at the Renaissance Festival in Sterling, NY (one of the in the states), and then the reception for it will be the following weekend- it's going to be more of a picnic- we're just having a Pig Roast and BBQ. That way no uncomfortable clothes: very casual etc, very comfortable.

Seeing the varied events and travel we have been looking into different options for a photographer.

Her uncle has offered to do some of the pictures(amazing photographer), but also wants to join in the festivities for the day.
then...
Recently, I thought of possibly handing out my 2 digial cameras to family, and perhaps picking up one or 2 decent film SLR's and handing them out to family as well, letting them take pictures of the day and keeping the pictures we like out of the bunch. We are not just looking for pictures of bride and groom, but pictures of the whole day, and everyone invited - yes even uncle joe age 80 ridding a camel while it's spitting on uncle mike. :D
I have seen weddings where disposables are handed out to everyone or every table, but I have also noticed the quality of the pictures suck in most cases. I am thinking that a few higher quality cameras in more capable hands will work better, not only in regards to quality, but perspectives as well.

*** Note: I would not be handing the camera's out to just anyone, but those people who take above average pics, and really do know how to work a lens.

Would this make sense?
Does anyone have any experience with something similar to this?
or thoughts to share on it?
I wouldn't mind any opinions either way.

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
*** Note: I would not be handing the camera's out to just anyone, but those people who take above average pics, and really do know how to work a lens.
That's discrimination. Uncle joe will be pissed if he gets a disposable kodak to use and your dad gets a slr. A good photographer could take good pics with any camera, imop... then let the fiance's uncle use his pro tools of the trade.:)

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2006
PA
I'm not sure if it would be in the budget, but I'm sure if you got a professional photographer that could be dedicated to the event, you would be much happier with the ouput.

Just my 2 cents.

zeppo93008

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2005
Get a Wedding Photographer

My advice to you is to get a pro wedding photographer to shoot the wedding. You will make your wife happy in the years to come. You will have someone to capture everything that is needed. Trust me on this one. If you rely on someone that don't know how to shoot wedding photos, you will hear disappointments coming from your wife and relatives. If you do not get the photos that you want, you will hear disappointing comments from various people. This is a once-in-a-lifetime event that you can not go back to. Get a photographer. :)

munchmime

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2003
That's discrimination. Uncle joe will be pissed if he gets a disposable kodak to use and your dad gets a slr. A good photographer could take good pics with any camera, imop... then let the fiance's uncle use his pro tools of the trade.:)

I agree a good photographer can use any camera!

Ehhhhh, we're a discriminating bunch any how. Uncle photographer person is only going to be comfortable using his own equiptment anyhow -very anal retentive... besides, my dad only likes his 465 B.C. polariod, which is fine with me... he even has pictures of vikings too! a little faded though ((((shrugs)))).

I'm not sure if it would be in the budget, but I'm sure if you got a professional photographer that could be dedicated to the event, you would be much happier with the ouput.

Just my 2 cents.

as for the budget... we all know how much weddings cost... and we're not poor, stingy, or misers, but we both can't really see the cost of weddings... it's outragous. We would rather put the money back into our house, or into retirement.

As for Pro photography, Her uncle is really superb. My sister, thats what she goes to school for, and all she wants to be. A friend of the family, Pat, wants to start his own Photography studio for such things. He's also asked to use us to help build his portfolio...

I can't say that we're in dire need of a professional, especially the one's that I have seen around here where they tend to duck their heads, put the camera above their head and snap a shot kinda like paparazzi. they just run around CLICK...CLICK.CLICK... then afterwords you go and have a portrait taken.

I mean what exactly is the term "professional" ? Just because one does it day in and day out for a living? Not to mention the only 3 Pro's in the area who I trust, either will not travel for the day, or are already booked.

I DO THANK YOU for your opinions- there is much to consider on this issue...

any other suggestions or opinions???

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
I would have to agree with the photographer suggestions. I wouldn't want to risk the disappointment, since it's not like you can decide after seeing the results to go out and shoot again.

Perhaps get a photographer and still hand out some disposables for the candid shots?

Also, maybe her uncle knows a fellow photographer that might give you guys a discount?

EDIT: Sorry, looks like we were posting at the same time!

AvSRoCkCO1067

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2005
CO
I mean what exactly is the term "professional" ? Just because one does it day in and day out for a living? Not to mention the only 3 Pro's in the area who I trust, either will not travel for the day, or are already booked.

Beautifully said. Your uncle sounds better than the vast majority of wedding photographers I've met. I like your plan - go for it!!!

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
If you are going to supply cameras to the family photo posse, then get the cameras to them at least a week in advance so they can practice with them.

Depending on travel plans, you might also get photos of the lead-up activities which may be a nice addition to your wedding memories.

munchmime

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2003
a little more info...

My advice to you is to get a pro wedding photographer to shoot the wedding. You will make your wife happy in the years to come. You will have someone to capture everything that is needed. Trust me on this one. If you rely on someone that don't know how to shoot wedding photos, you will hear disappointments coming from your wife and relatives. If you do not get the photos that you want, you will hear disappointing comments from various people. This is a once-in-a-lifetime event that you can not go back to. Get a photographer. :)

yes, yes, and no. I agree with you. 100% if this were going to be a typical, usual wedding. This is not only my decision, it is that of my soon to be wife as well. It is not me just trying to cut costs either. I agree if this were us going to a church or park, then everyone crowding into a limo and going to the art gallery or a museum or local waterfall for the pictures.

also it seems people here are missing the point that this is not exactly a normal wedding. There are going to be hours and hours of things for everyone. Eating, jousting, games, plays, heckling, mud fights, dancing, comedies... all in one day, with people doing different things at different times. We are looking to capture those moments too. Not just ourselves. It would be hard for say a company of 2 or 3 photographers to cover 50 some odd people through out the day at various places over 20+ acres? or not?
at count with my 2 cameras and possibly 2 film slr's there would be 6 camera's.

2 trusted photographers (not "pro") specifically responsible for the ceremony and bridal company pictures... and then anyone else who wants to take shots.

then to top it off, possibly come for the reception the next weekend where all family and friends are invited... just to do it all again.

Also if anyone has any and I do mean any photogrhapers that they would reccomend in the central NY area, I would also be willing to take that information. As I said, there is a lot to think about. We are not looking for just the "normal" set of pictures. We're not looking for that mundane model look or processed production feel that accompanies a lot of wedding pictures either.

Also, would you recommend a professional cake?

or, would it be enough that we are doing it ourselves?

yes, I hear the cringe again... but she is a pastry chef, though she doesn't work specifically with wedding cakes...

munchmime

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2003
If you are going to supply cameras to the family photo posse, then get the cameras to them at least a week in advance so they can practice with them.

Depending on travel plans, you might also get photos of the lead-up activities which may be a nice addition to your wedding memories.

I was going to get them approx 3 months in advance.

jamesW135

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2005
I would give out disposables but if you must hand out SLR's get some N55's or something like that. They are easy to use they have an ok kit lens and they are VERY light.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Also, would you recommend a professional cake?

or, would it be enough that we are doing it ourselves?

yes, I hear the cringe again... but she is a pastry chef, though she doesn't work specifically with wedding cakes...

We made our own wedding cake; it was the closest we came to calling the whole thing off. It was an Australian style cake, with rolled fondant icing, that has to be flipped onto the cake and laid down smoothly. Think along the lines of putting a tablecloth on a table, but you have to do it in one motion, and it has to settle with no wrinkles or folds. Yeah.

It was an unseasonably hot and humid day which was making the rolling and handling of the fondant extra difficult. My wife had tried 3 times already and had just finished laboriously rolling out the fondant perfectly smooth a fourth time. I decided to help at that point and did a dazzling quick lift and flip that was, of course, off target and messed it up completely. She waited about five seconds, and then quietly suggested I might want to leave the room...

She did get it properly positioned on the fifth try, and as penance, I piped on all of the flowers and butterfly ornaments.

If you do make your own cake, do it well in advance so there's time to go to Plan B. Consider carefully whether the extra stress and work on top of everything is worth it (in our case, she also made her own wedding dress, the bridesmaids dresses, a tuxedo for our son, and we catered the reception for 300 ourselves. We were crazy...)

Ask first if she wants "help"

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
My cousin had a casual reception in a park with their facility benches and tables. At each table was a basket of disposable cameras. That worked marvelously. :) Plus, I swear, them disposable cameras almost always seem responsible for some of the best shots. :D

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
we did something similar. we had a pro photographer, but we put disposables at each table. we got some great candid shots....of course some terrible ones.

SO, i would go with everyone else - let the uncle have the SLR. i think it's a film and not digital thought? if it's digital, ask to review the pics on the fly :)

have 1 or 2 other cameras bouncing around. pick a few people to start and then have designated other folks to try after the 1st few.

you'll get some great shots indeed.

a pro photographer would be the choice if you can, but only you know how good your uncle is.

best of luck and congrats.
keebler

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Seeing the varied events and travel we have been looking into different options for a photographer.

Her uncle has offered to do some of the pictures(amazing photographer), but also wants to join in the festivities for the day.

Good photographers may be good at one set of things and not others. Only you can evaluate what sort of shooting her uncle does and under what conditions. A professional should be able to handle a turn in the weather, crappy lighting, asinine inlaws, equipment failure... That's not to say that all professionals are equal, there are lots of sucky professionals out there.

In this case, the evaluation is easy- do a "rehearsal" with the uncle in similar conditions, then either promote him to "official wedding photographer for the important bits" or demote him to "We'd really like you to have more fun, can you get these four shots for us?" You're playing the odds if he's not equipped like a professional though- one failure and things go south pretty quickly.

I have seen weddings where disposables are handed out to everyone or every table, but I have also noticed the quality of the pictures suck in most cases. I am thinking that a few higher quality cameras in more capable hands will work better, not only in regards to quality, but perspectives as well.

It's not necessarily the camera quality that sucks- most people (and it seems like most photographers) don't have a good handle on composition, exposure, etc.

If you're dead set against having a pro ensure that you get some measure of pictures that you'll want to show off in 5 years, then maybe see if there's a local camera club or two that you could invite and sponsor some sort of contest for- there's a chance you might get some good memorable results from all day shooting for less than you'd pay for a good professional. You'd have to work out any copyright issues in advance though.

juanster

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2007
toronto
Also a good idea.. i did this on ,my last trip to colombia,, get a couple of disposable cameras on the side and, im guessing since its going to be a different wedding there will be kids there too right? give a couple of teh cameras to the kids (6-13 years old) they usually see things most adults don't and you will find alot of very amazing pictures taken in really amazing angles of course in between all of the messed up to the sky and the floor and the utensils ones (got lots of those for some reason) and even a couple of inapropriate ones :)o ) i am telling you, great for good memories... i think it's a great idea to have 6 or so good cameras going around good photographers taking great pictures...

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I got married 1.5 years ago, also afternoon outdoor setting. Just about everyone will bring a digital camera, so it isn't necessary to hand out a camera. Just ask some of the guests to burn you a CD later.

I would use a professional photographer, so that your uncle and other guests can enjoy the event. Asking them to take photos for you is both unnecessary (they will do that anyway) and in bad taste.

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
One thing to watch out for is that, in conditions where they need to use the flash, the multiple flashes aren't interfering with the exposures on the other cameras. You'll need to set of either an assignment chart, a zone chart or during events were you want them all taking pictures...some kind of shooting order.

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Look into booking two photographers: a wedding photographer and an event photographer.

The picnic/pig roast don't need a high-dollar wedding photog and might be better covered by staff or an intern from the local paper, who will work for much less and is looking for opportunities to flesh out his/her portfolio.

stinter

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2007
LA
I'd Avoid Family

Just my two cents (and I'll preemptively say that my wife is a wedding coordinator here in LA and we had a HORRIBLE experience with our "Pro" photographer).

Others have said this, but even if they are offering your friends and family might miss parts of the wedding and feel added stress if they have to shot it.

Same thing for you guys doing your own cake... no matter how casual your event is you'll be busy and stressed as it approaches.

I think a pro photographer is a good investment. Try looking at a wedding specific site (like theknot.com) to find a variety of reviews and comments for the whole country and specific local areas.

If you are set against the pro for money or style I think a better way to go than family is to think outside the box. Central New York is topped only by the Boston area for the number of colleges and universities around. Go to a few and see if there are any students looking to make some extra cash. Syracuse has one of the best journalism schools in the nation as well as a notable art school. I've seen amazing art and photojournalists come out of there.

As I said just my 2 cents.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I would have to agree with the photographer suggestions. I wouldn't want to risk the disappointment, since it's not like you can decide after seeing the results to go out and shoot again.

Actually, in this case, I say don't bother with the pro photographer if munchmime knows 2 capable photographers anyway. Yes, shooting a wedding is different from shooting other things, but he knows how his wedding is set up, and he would probably need multiple pro photographers if he was to go the "pro" route.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
I put heaps of disposable cameras on all the tables at a big birthday celebration I had, in the days before everyone had his/her own digital. I got a lot of fun shots that I wouldn't have had otherwise.

When I got married 3 years ago, I asked everyone who had had a digital camera with, to mail us any good shots they got. Quite a few came in. We didn't hire a photographer for anything, but my sister-in-law happened to take a lucky shot of us that ended up as our portrait from the day.

It sounds to me like having a few capable pro or good amateur photographers on board, plus asking your guests to burn you CDs with their shots, means you'll have a great selection after the event.

Good luck. :)

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
I work in a wedding studio, and nothing I've seen produced couldn't be done by someone else who's had a brief run-through of some poses and lighting situations. If you have anyone who's shot weddings before (a friend or someone), talk to them, or get them to talk to your would-be photographer(s) before the event.

I like you're idea, it's creative and personal (since all the people taking the pictures are close to you). I think with several cameras floating about, it shouldn't be a problem to get some great shots.

I totally agree with you, about the money. Weddings are way too expensive, and five grand could be much better spent on a house or other amenities for a new couple just starting out.

Best of luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.