Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OwlsAndApples

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2006
UK
I work part-time for a wedding and events photographer, and I have to say the quality with professionals is amazing (in my experience). Just be prepared for mini-wars of photographers versus videographers searching for the high-ground :p

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
I work part-time for a wedding and events photographer, and I have to say the quality with professionals is amazing (in my experience). Just be prepared for mini-wars of photographers versus videographers searching for the high-ground :p

I would say go for a photographer over a videographer. There is a certain elegance with stills that allows you to take in the moment. Video tends to be a bit clinical and the moments fleeting. Besides a wedding video may last 1-2 hours where watchability is about 30-45 minutes. Give your uncle Fred a video camera and have him give you the tape or disc at the end. That may be good enough.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Actually, in this case, I say don't bother with the pro photographer if munchmime knows 2 capable photographers anyway. Yes, shooting a wedding is different from shooting other things, but he knows how his wedding is set up, and he would probably need multiple pro photographers if he was to go the "pro" route.

Shoot a couple of weddings, then come back and see if you still feel the same way- especially if they're not traditional with a cooperative clergy.

No, seriously. While in theory, a photographer is a photographer, in practice the good wedding photographers *earn* every penny.

I've shot a grand total of three weddings as the official wedding photographer. I'll die happy if I never have to shoot one again. I wouldn't ask a friend to do it under any circumstances I can think of- *especially* if they've never done it and don't plan on doing it- but even if both of those are the case (which at least one seems to be here) I'd evaluate them under those conditions and their equipment choices too (pros have backups, second and possibly third shooters, etc.) Even if it's friends/family, if you're THE photographer you really can't enjoy the event, it's too much of a conflict of interest *and* getting the important bits are too much work. You get to spend the day working instead of enjoying the wedding- nothing can change that.

While most folks want "everything captured" they rarely look at more than a dozen of their wedding pictures with any regularity after the first three viewings. A good pro with a second will be able to capture what matters.

munchmime

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2003
Hmmmm.. interesting points to ponder.

In this case, the evaluation is easy- do a "rehearsal" with the uncle in similar conditions

it kills me that everyone refers to uncle as amature. LMAO...

If you're dead set against having a pro ensure that you get some measure of pictures that you'll want to show off in 5 years, then maybe see if there's a local camera club or two that you could invite and sponsor some sort of contest for- there's a chance you might get some good memorable results from all day shooting for less than you'd pay for a good professional. You'd have to work out any copyright issues in advance though.

Not dead set... But I really do like the camera club ideal! I will start calling around in the morning.

I got married 1.5 years ago, also afternoon outdoor setting. Just about everyone will bring a digital camera, so it isn't necessary to hand out a camera. Just ask some of the guests to burn you a CD later.

I would use a professional photographer, so that your uncle and other guests can enjoy the event. Asking them to take photos for you is both unnecessary (they will do that anyway) and in bad taste.

HE offered. Kinda set in his ways. A little hard to change his mind.

If you are set against the pro for money or style I think a better way to go than family is to think outside the box. Central New York is topped only by the Boston area for the number of colleges and universities around. Go to a few and see if there are any students looking to make some extra cash. Syracuse has one of the best journalism schools in the nation as well as a notable art school. I've seen amazing art and photojournalists come out of there.

Not set against it for the $$$, but we would rather put the $$$ into something else.
thank you for the college(s) ideas too, that is another extremely helpful thing for me to look into that I would not have thought of, just as the camera clubs above.

munchmime

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2003
Thank You... thank you... thank you.

Make sure the Renaissance Faire allows photography, you don't want your photographers getting sent to the tower for witchery.
ha hah ha, LMAO... Well, the tower could be fun! perhaps we could throw tomato's at them? but, no... in all seriousness pics are part of the fun, they even sponser a "best shot" contest each year to represent the "feel" of the faire.

I like you're idea, it's creative and personal (since all the people taking the pictures are close to you). I think with several cameras floating about, it shouldn't be a problem to get some great shots.

I totally agree with you, about the money. Weddings are way too expensive, and five grand could be much better spent on a house or other amenities for a new couple just starting out.
Best of luck!

Personal? thats kinda of what we're looking for. Something, well, more "human" as opposed to manufactured.

Thank you!

While most folks want "everything captured" they rarely look at more than a dozen of their wedding pictures with any regularity after the first three viewings. A good pro with a second will be able to capture what matters.

I couldn't agree with you more, well said. You have had the best argument towards a PRO that anyone has ever made.

I would really like to thank everyone who has added their 2 cents, or just tossed in one. I like the ideas that have been tossed around, and that is why I posted. Besides, here is a lot better than the photo sites I have posted on. I have only gotten dissertations on why pro's need my money, with no real suggestions or creativity like I have seen here... then again, is that not why we are mac people?

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I've shot a grand total of three weddings as the official wedding photographer. I'll die happy if I never have to shoot one again. I wouldn't ask a friend to do it under any circumstances I can think of- *especially* if they've never done it and don't plan on doing it-

Me neither. ;)

It's too difficult. However, in his case, I'm actually more confident about his uncle than I am with his sister, who's majoring in Photography at uni and wants to become a photographer. I agree with you because wedding photographers have experience, and in wedding photography, experience trumps all. I'd rather shoot professional sports than shoot a wedding, because I'm under the impression that pro sports would have a shorter learning curve. :eek:

But getting a non-pro could give you good results. Like you said, all a married couple wants are a few winning photos, not 87 of them. If the uncle is that good, he might give them what they want. The sister is just good backup. ;) Everyone else shooting photos at the wedding will likely get smiles and natural joy and laughter that a pro photographer may not get, especially if he has to spread himself out over a large area.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.