Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I sold my M3 Macbook 12 inch 2017 in summer and went for M2 Air stock configuration. While Macbook was a great computer overall, I just needed all day battery life, something which Macbook couldn't provide and I went for some time with a power bank. But I finally gave in to M2, right now of course, battery life of m2 is very good, no worries for a day.
Dude, that one fewer M. You downgraded! (/s in case it isn't obvious)

• Love
Reactions: StoneJack

salbalboa

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2016
I am in process of sending back the M2 Air. I find myself choosing the MacBook over the M2 Air, its a better experience for me sitting on the couch and just surfing. The M2 Air is nice but not worth the price for me to get the spec I want.
if I need power I just use the MacBook to remote into my workstation.
I was even thinking of getting the Mac mini and using that but I still need windows and my software doesn't work on ARM yet.

The M2 air build is very nice though so I might be back to it in the future.

Reactions: rmadsen3

tomscott1988

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2009
UK
The m1 is a good trade off, older design language that I prefer and a crazy speed upgrade for not a lot of money can't do any better in a small form factor.

Reactions: JiggyJaggy

teh_hunterer

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2021
It helps to remember just how light the 12" MacBook was. It was 2lbs! To put that into perspective, an 11" iPad Pro with Magic Keyboard is heavier at 2.4lbs. The M2 MacBook Air is 2.7lbs.

So while the M2 Air is light, it is somewhat of a different class of device.

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
It helps to remember just how light the 12" MacBook was. It was 2lbs! To put that into perspective, an 11" iPad Pro with Magic Keyboard is heavier at 2.4lbs. The M2 MacBook Air is 2.7lbs.

So while the M2 Air is light, it is somewhat of a different class of device.
Exactly. A lot of people don't seem to get that and frankly are quick to say that 2.7 lbs is plenty light enough. Maybe. But I carry my M2 MBA upwards of 5 miles a day on my back - every ounce counts. I'd for sure switch to an even lighter machine that runs full macOS. But for now the M2 MBA is pretty good - it's a lot lighter for my hikes than my MBP14!

tomscott1988

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2009
UK
Ye maybe I sold mine nearly 2 years ago as it was almost unusable let alone now surprised people can go back to them after using even a base M1. Even my 16" MBP feels sluggish compared to the air which is ridiculous. The Apple silicon is just so good its worth the trade off

JiggyJaggy

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2020
I have a base M1 MBA for when I am out all day etc. At home I genuinely use my MB 12 (2017 M3) as my desktop computer connected to a Dell USB-C monitor. Works the same as my old Mac mini set up and when Im feeling lazy I simply unplug it and use it as a "mini-laptop" on the sofa etc. Perfect form factor and really does still pack a punch in 2023.

Reactions: loby
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.