Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JohnMC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 5, 2006
Duluth, MN
Here is the official thread for our fourth Fortnightly Challenge.

Rules

The rules are open for debate at any time although a consensus will be sought before making changes. The preference is to create a broad but flexible framework to work within.

Submission rules:
1. Members must produce the artwork they submit.
2. The photo(s) submitted are encouraged be created during the challenge period, however older images may still be submitted.

Comments/critique/discussion:
1. You are highly encouraged to give comments and critique images in the current thread if you submit images, it is only fair to do so if you expect C&C in return.
2. Even if you do not participate feel free to give feedback or ask questions.
3. Comments, critiques and discussion must be constructive and aimed at improving the quality of the artwork.

The topic for this two week challenge is: Connected.
The challenge will run from right now until 11:59PM CDT Sept 10.

Challenge topics:
1. Suggestions for the bi-weekly's challenge are made in a single thread which will be set up the week before.
2. The challenge topic will be voted on by all members (although only those intending to submit pictures should vote).

Lets have Fun!!!

Maxxamillian

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2004
Utah
Getting things started...

586943356_XRZ4Z-XL.jpg

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Max -- I really like the composition of this. The B&W and vignetting add a lot. I do not like that she is focused on her camera and he is focused on yours. If you had gotten them looking at each other this would be a much more powerful image.

Dark Knight -- I am curious why you posted an image that you do not like.

mikshayne

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2009
Dallas, TX
Max -- I really like the composition of this. The B&W and vignetting add a lot. I do not like that she is focused on her camera and he is focused on yours. If you had gotten them looking at each other this would be a much more powerful image.

I actually like the split focus. Although in each others arms...they seem to be in two different places mentally. There's a story here....and it seems to be beautifully captured.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
For me, it is the human connections that are the most important.

BTW -- I am unhappy about the same split focus in the wedding picture, but it is really hard to get my youngest to cooperate or stay natural when he knows the camera is there.

Attachments

• Ari & Harrison - 1.jpg
    Ari & Harrison - 1.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 53
  • Jake & Chris - 1.jpg
    Jake & Chris - 1.jpg
    907.6 KB · Views: 69
  • Jake & Sara-1.jpg
    Jake & Sara-1.jpg
    940.7 KB · Views: 93

mikshayne

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2009
Dallas, TX
A Padlock Around our Heart

A Padlock Around Our Heart. These padlocks "connected" and and interconnected together caught my eye while crossing a bridge in a beautiful park while in Milan, Italy! It wasn't till I got home that I realized the center padlock had "our" initials. A perfect memoir to the perfect trip.

Attachments

• _DSC9231 (2).jpg
    _DSC9231 (2).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 94

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
A Padlock Around Our Heart. These padlocks "connected" and and interconnected together caught my eye while crossing a bridge in a beautiful park while in Milan, Italy! It wasn't till I got home that I realized the center padlock had "our" initials. A perfect memoir to the perfect trip.

I love those unexpected bonuses. They can make a big difference in any photo. I would love to know the story behind this place. For me, the blue on the left is very distracting. I would have cropped it out, but my own preference (bias???) is for much tighter cropping.

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009

Because other people seem to like it so why not post it and see if people here like it. It also fits the whole connected thing.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Because other people seem to like it so why not post it and see if people here like it. It also fits the whole connected thing.

Okay. I think there is a lot of potential here. The expressions are great and the mother-child connection is clear. They are both anticipating something, but with very different (but both positive) emotional experiences. I would love to see what they are looking at so intently. For me, I think the frame is too wide. I am distracted by the amount of background and the two extraneous people in the frame. The sepia tone and the graininess do not work for me in this photo. I would love to see the original.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
slieu92 -- I love this. There is so much here. The hand holding suggests a chain that links the generations. I like the boy and woman (grandson and grandmother?????) supporting one another. Crossing over the creek suggests that the connections and support are most important when we face risks. My only small quibble is the extraneous foot at the right center of the frame. Other than that, this is outstanding.

slieu92

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2008
California
slieu92 -- I love this. There is so much here. The hand holding suggests a chain that links the generations. I like the boy and woman (grandson and grandmother?????) supporting one another. Crossing over the creek suggests that the connections and support are most important when we face risks. My only small quibble is the extraneous foot at the right center of the frame. Other than that, this is outstanding.

thank you for the kind comments! well, the woman (in her 40s) is from texas and that's her son :) and that foot, well i don't know lol

mikshayne

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2009
Dallas, TX
I love those unexpected bonuses. They can make a big difference in any photo. I would love to know the story behind this place. For me, the blue on the left is very distracting. I would have cropped it out, but my own preference (bias???) is for much tighter cropping.

I actually chose to balance the photo this way. It was a clump of padlocks randomly placed on small walking bridge in a park. I thought it was odd....and snapped a couple of shots. Here are some of the others - that havn't been tweaked.

Attachments

• _DSC9233.jpg
    _DSC9233.jpg
    536.1 KB · Views: 56
  • _DSC9232.jpg
    _DSC9232.jpg
    444.1 KB · Views: 64
  • _DSC9230.jpg
    _DSC9230.jpg
    710.7 KB · Views: 83

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
"Luck"??? I've never met anyone with that kind of luck. This image is just perfect. I don't know if I could have gotten so little movement with a tripod! :p:p:p:p

Really was luck. There was a massive power-cut on my mountain - so no light pollution. No moon light either. It was also a bit cloudy so I could just hold the camera (I don't own a tripod) and well I was lucky. Basically it was like pointing the camera at a black card waiting for a splash of light.

All that exposure for just a fraction of a second.

I'm loving a lot of the pictures here this time - will be back later.

tnkrmdc

Cancelled
Sep 1, 2009
Here is mine. I have only been doing photography for the last couple months. We had a lightning storm just on Saturday night, I ran up to Table Rock in Boise with my metal tripod (great lightning rod) and this is my favorite one that I shot.

The natural world connected to our industrial world by "The Power of Electricity."

Attachments

• DSC_0024.jpg
    DSC_0024.jpg
    912.9 KB · Views: 98

RogersaurusRex

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2009
Connected

This is my first post here, so hello everyone!
Choppers, I love that lightning photo. Luck or no luck, it's great!
Anyway, here's my submission for 'connected':

Attachments

• IMG_4314.jpg
    IMG_4314.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 68

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
These two are connected in life and death by the flower.
3631767325_b1090d3c92_b.jpg

Again - I was lucky - right place at the right time. The spider was very difficult to see - and I shot it from several angles. On some shots it was almost invisible (sadly for the bee - it was)

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
It was a clump of padlocks randomly placed on small walking bridge in a park. I thought it was odd....

Few old cities in Europe have this tradition that a newly-wed couple puts their padlock on the bridge and throw the key away -- that should mean their marriage lasts forever.

mikshayne

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2009
Dallas, TX
Few old cities in Europe have this tradition that a newly-wed couple puts their padlock on the bridge and throw the key away -- that should mean their marriage lasts forever.

Thank you so much for enlightening me. I may have to return now....just to add our padlock! This is a beautiful tradition.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.