Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
It was also a bit cloudy so I could just hold the camera (I don't own a tripod) and well I was lucky.

Doesn't look like you need a tripod. :D:D:D

tmkrmdc -- I love the juxtaposition between the lightening and the city lights, especially given you caption.

JFreak -- thank you for the explanation. That explains the names and initials on the locks.
mikshayne -- you don't have to go back. You said you found your initials there already.

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Doesn't look like you need a tripod. :D:D:D
Believe me - once the electricity came back on - I needed a tripod.
My result the next evening (+ electricity and light pollution) is shall we say - different.

Attachments

• _G1S6329.jpg
    _G1S6329.jpg
    317.2 KB · Views: 88

cookie1105

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2006
London, UK
I'm really enjoying these lightning pictures.

Earth and sky get connected ----- 30 seconds of hand held luck.

SNIP
That looks really close to where you were standing...fantastic capture Chappers

Here is mine. I have only been doing photography for the last couple months. We had a lightning storm just on Saturday night, I ran up to Table Rock in Boise with my metal tripod (great lightning rod) and this is my favorite one that I shot.

The natural world connected to our industrial world by "The Power of Electricity."
I found myself saying wow to this shot. IMO The composition is brilliant, but maybe I would crop some of the dead sky at the top of the picture and make it more of a panoramic shot.

tnkrmdc

Cancelled
Sep 1, 2009

I found myself saying wow to this shot. IMO The composition is brilliant, but maybe I would crop some of the dead sky at the top of the picture and make it more of a panoramic shot.

Thanks for the reccommendation. I have a lot to learn still about photography. I had to play with my aperture so that I could find a great balance between the lightning and city lights. I had to keep the the shutter open for 18 seconds on this one. Another one, I left open for just under a minute.

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home

Yes that was really close - real close The trees/bushes in the foreground are just the other side of a narrow road. Luckily my building has a lightning conductor and I was inside. Scary all the same.

Two more - first my building being struck (about 10 years ago) and the only other one I have - 9 seconds hand held.

Attachments

• lightning.jpg
    lightning.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 62
  • _G1S6333.jpg
    _G1S6333.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 55

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
ISO 200 f/2.8 1/100 79mm

I like this its a great topic and a connection of family for sure. I only feel the back ground is a little distracting.
As I'm the prince of cropping then I'd probably do something like this

Attachments

• P1018415.jpg
    P1018415.jpg
    876.7 KB · Views: 75

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
yaroldb -- I agree with Chappers regarding the cropping. I really like the contrast in this image between the tenderness of the mother/child connection and the hard horn as the point of physical contact.

JBmac

macrumors member
May 19, 2008
Eastern, PA
Wine Grapes mulit colorful connected

I take pictures of things I would like to paint sometime in the future, and in the technique and style I would like to paint them in. I thought these multi color wine grapes would be fun to paint.

3898035630_dbe168e3a3_o.jpg

JBmac

macrumors member
May 19, 2008
Eastern, PA
These two are connected in life and death by the flower.

Again - I was lucky - right place at the right time. The spider was very difficult to see - and I shot it from several angles. On some shots it was almost invisible (sadly for the bee - it was)

I would not of seen the spider had you not mentioned it, great shot!

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
JBmac -- I like your concept of shooting what you want to paint. I find for myself that working from a concept produces much better outcomes. I like this photo and can certainly see it as something to be painted. The variety of colors is really interesting. If I were shooting this, I would have moved down the cluster so that the stem were not so prominent. That is a strictly personal thing, however, and not a criticism of the image. I would definitely reduce the exposure. The colors here are washed out a bit. I imagine they are much richer "in person."

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I'll submit one this time. This is one of my favorite shots I've done. It's an "Oldsmobile Rocket" V8 in a 1930 Ford Model A.

Attachments

• DSC_0055_2-2.jpg
    DSC_0055_2-2.jpg
    298.2 KB · Views: 75

JBmac

macrumors member
May 19, 2008
Eastern, PA
JBmac -- I like your concept of shooting what you want to paint. I find for myself that working from a concept produces much better outcomes. I like this photo and can certainly see it as something to be painted. The variety of colors is really interesting. If I were shooting this, I would have moved down the cluster so that the stem were not so prominent. That is a strictly personal thing, however, and not a criticism of the image. I would definitely reduce the exposure. The colors here are washed out a bit. I imagine they are much richer "in person."

You are correct, I like the highlights from a painting perspective, and thought that is how I would paint it, I corrected the exposure a bit to the bright side.
The vine is very bushy and full of leaves, I had already taken off some of the leaves to uncover more of the grapes. Thanks for the suggestions!

JBmac

macrumors member
May 19, 2008
Eastern, PA
Originally Posted by deep diver
"JBmac -- I would love to see you post some of your photographs along with the painting."

Hold on to that thought deep diver for a few years, that is when I will have time to start painting again, and I will go through my collection of photos. But hopefully sooner then later?

hmmm....maybe a challenge someday.....life, imitating art?

The opposite of photographs depicting reality...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.