Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
_MG_9577-pp.jpg

I prefer this second shot because there is more artificial lighting to give the photo some contrast. You said this was a morning shot. I think you were about 10-20 minutes too late for the perfect balance of light, when the sky would be a deeper blue, and the lights would jump out and and sparkle more. Nonetheless, the low vantage point definitely adds some visual interest, as does the dew causing a reflection on the planks. I also like that there are no people here, since it's a location that is surely full with them most of the day.

Lots of nice leading lines here: the arcing tree branches in the upper left corner, the railings, and of course the gravel road. I see a square composition hiding in this one. All of that space at the right isn't doing anything for the photo, and it makes the two figures have less presence in the frame. So I would crop it down, coming in a lot on the right and bit on the top, with the two figures falling roughly near the intersection of the thirds in a square frame. I tried it, and I think the image really starts to hum that way. You might also consider dodging the midtones of the figures a bit.

This one, but doesn't seem to fit the thread topic

This one has some nice foreground interest with that palm shadow and the line where the edge of the walkway meets the grass--that line leads directly to your subject. I think this too is a candidate for cropping, perhaps as a vertical (with the monument in the left part of the frame); a landscape crop would be nice, but you'd end up with some distracting palm branches sticking in from the top right. At any rate, the kid on the bike needs to go, and your subject being smack dab in the center is making the photo too static.

How about lines that lead towards you? Or are they all like that?

It really depends on what else is in the frame to catch and direct the movement of the eye.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
I think the first one you posted of Nisqually is better. The people on the walking path make it more interesting and so does the longer view. This one seems a little cluttered.
Thanks for the comments. The area had changed so much with the arrival of summer that it was hard to find the exact location on the trail. I should have taken a small print with me. The Delta was deserted on this day. No people, birds, nothing. It was hot.

Dale

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Another from the Nisqually Delta.
nisquallypath2.jpg

EXIF Summary: 1.6s f/22.0 ISO100 Tamron 28-75 2.8@28mm

A greenhouse across the road from the Delta.
greenhouse1.jpg

EXIF Summary: 1/40s f/18.0 ISO100 Tamron 28-75 2.8@59mm

Dale

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Bridge to nowhere

What a great subject/scene! Really nice shot. It's a pity about that red pipe sticking out. Perhaps you could desaturate it or something. At any rate, I just love dilapidated subjects surrounded by beauty and brimming with metophorical possibilities.

I was just editing some shots from last month and came across one that made me think of this thread:

WideOpen.jpg

JohnMC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 5, 2006
Duluth, MN
Bridge to nowhere

I don't mind the red pipe, it does not distract me. However, I wonder if this would to better as a vertical photo. The mountains on the left don't really add much to the image in my opinion, and without them, I think the leading line of the railroad grade would be emphasized. Just my two cents...

John

CK Williams

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2008
Las Vegas
I don't mind the red pipe, it does not distract me. However, I wonder if this would to better as a vertical photo. The mountains on the left don't really add much to the image in my opinion, and without them, I think the leading line of the railroad grade would be emphasized. Just my two cents...

John

What a great subject/scene! Really nice shot. It's a pity about that red pipe sticking out. Perhaps you could desaturate it or something. At any rate, I just love dilapidated subjects surrounded by beauty and brimming with metophorical possibilities.

I was just editing some shots from last month and came across one that made me think of this thread:

WideOpen.jpg

Thank you both for the comments. Phrasikleia, it looks like there is a lot of history in that building. I like the shadow from the doorway.

I played around with it a little more and came up with this.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Thank you both for the comments. Phrasikleia, it looks like there is a lot of history in that building. I like the shadow from the doorway.

This is way better to my eye. The vertical format really brings the subject front and center. considerable improvement.

Dale

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009

I agree the vertical crop works better than the original. I like it and it draws your eyes deeper all the way to those mountains way in the background. I hope you don't mind but I took the liberty of trying a wide crop. I think getting rid of some of the sky works well too but still keeping the sweeping landscape. I kind of like being able to see it and the line kind of sweeps from right to left.

Attachments

• 4794368503_5175565942_b.jpg
    4794368503_5175565942_b.jpg
    247 KB · Views: 83

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009
Inspired by John's first photo, I went into D.C. last night to take some shots. It was harder than I thought. I think I went way to late and I need to go when there is still a little light left in the sky. I was trying to avoid the people. (didn't work, there were still tons of people at 11:00 pm). Here's one I took with leading lines in mind.

p123386130-4.jpg

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009
My picture...

Please provide constructive criticism, I'm a beginner : )

I think it is exposed well. The sky and clouds are nice and good color. The large group of trees on left is a bit distracting. Maybe from a different perspective it would be a bit more interesting. Perhaps closer to the mountain and looking up more at it with those clouds over the top? Not sure.

CK Williams

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2008
Las Vegas
My picture...
Please provide constructive criticism, I'm a beginner : )

Welcome!! I like the image, but can see JD's point about the trees. How about a vertical crop (see JD & Dale I can learn ;)) with the mountain, clouds, and road?

Inspired by John's first photo, I went into D.C. last night to take some shots. It was harder than I thought. I think I went way to late and I need to go when there is still a little light left in the sky. I was trying to avoid the people. (didn't work, there were still tons of people at 11:00 pm). Here's one I took with leading lines in mind.

p123386130-4.jpg

Wow!! Nicely done

This is way better to my eye. The vertical format really brings the subject front and center. considerable improvement.

Dale

Thanks Dale

I agree the vertical crop works better than the original. I like it and it draws your eyes deeper all the way to those mountains way in the background. I hope you don't mind but I took the liberty of trying a wide crop. I think getting rid of some of the sky works well too but still keeping the sweeping landscape. I kind of like being able to see it and the line kind of sweeps from right to left.

Thanks JD, the only thing about the wide crop is the photo loses some of the better clouds at the top of the shot. I would have liked to spend some more time with the composition, but the photo was taken from a moving train. I'm still playing around with the levels on the B&W version to see what else I can come up with.

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009

Camera Canon EOS REBEL T2i
Exposure 0.008 sec (1/125)
Aperture f/11.0
Focal Length 18 mm
ISO Speed 100

Nice shot. Image seems a little dark to me but I'm on my crappy monitor at work. What's that thing in the water on the right?

macrumormonger

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Nice shot. Image seems a little dark to me but I'm on my crappy monitor at work. What's that thing in the water on the right?

Here's the close-up of the thing in the water. I think it's a sea lion. "Thing in the water" is probably just as good as guess as mine.

Camera Canon EOS REBEL T2i
Exposure 0.005 sec (1/200)
Aperture f/9.0
Focal Length 55 mm
ISO Speed 100

The pic was taken on an overcast day and I also noticed that there's a dust spot. With minor sexing-up, new pic:

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->

p123386130-4.jpg

I agree about your timing, but you really nailed the composition here. Well seen.

I finally got around to taking a picture for this fortnight's challenge topic:

SotVint1b.jpg

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009
I agree about your timing, but you really nailed the composition here. Well seen.

I finally got around to taking a picture for this fortnight's challenge topic:

SotVint1b.jpg

Thanks for the comment. I think I will wait till early winter to try more night shots when there are less people and the air is clearer. I want to try some early morning and early evening shots.

First...where was your photo taken. It looks like a beautiful place. I really like the water and the boardwalk. The water is perfect and the walk leads my mind up the wonderful path. I'm not sure about the upper third of the shot. It's almost like I want to see the water and boardwalk from a higher vantage point. I stared at the shot for a while imagining walking up the path which I think is exactly the effect you would want this photo to have. Well done.

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009
Summer camp

Nice colors. I think we're rotated to the right a bit. I'm hypersensitive to rotation because my wife makes fun of me for all my photos being rotated to the right.

Edit: You know, I looked at it again and maybe it isn't. The white piping almost seems equidistant to the edge. Maybe there's a bit of an optical illusion because of the spiral?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.